Saturn Sky Forum banner

Ventilated seat covers

10K views 69 replies 15 participants last post by  DaveOC 
#1 ·
I have been reminded how much I hate leather seats when driving my Redline. FYI - During the early years of the auto industry. the chauffeur had the leather seats and the passengers sat on horse hair / angora / cloth seats. I actually saw a Sky with cloth seats once. Why do I hate leather? They don't breather, the get hotter than a two dollar pistol in a street fight, and they're slick as snot on a door knob. In winter, the colder than witch's you know what. Enough grousing.

Does anyone know of a any vendor that makes ventilated seats for the Sky that don't look like they came out of grandpa's Deuce and a quarter? Seat covers unlimited have some two-tones covers but they're either Neoprene or leatherette. Ugh squared.

Thanks, gang.

#3 ·
that's interesting, I have never seen a sky with cloth seats, just sol's I am pretty sure the Sky came with more standard features than the sol (correct me if I am wrong) and I had assumed that the leather seats was one of those things, but if I've learned anything from being on here longer than MM, ? it's that he knows his sky stuff better than I. ?

Reactions: marlboromike
#5 ·
The full seat assembly from a vendor for replacement, not likely. Could you hunt down one, err two from
a salvage yard here? Maybe...breathable fabric dull to some, that won't cook your ass, or slipping your tush
around the cabin space.

Could you take your car, to a good upholstery shop local to your location, to have an estimate done, on replacing
the seat "covers' with a ventilated fabric more to your liking and budget for replacement? Could be.. but shops quality
and reputation vary here, so maybe more than one shop for comparison sake time/costs might be a good idea before you
proceed with replacing your pleather seat covers to a fabric conversion more to your liking. Bada Bing in and out in 3 days
for X amount of dollars, and you're good to go. Then you might be able to sell, those leather, pleather covers to an owner here
looking to replace their fabric seat covers on the upgrade from the base fabric. Might be able to re-coop some of the costs
from the upholstery shop costs for your conversion.

LAC

#21 ·
Jim Baker is his name. Several of his interiors have been in the Hot Rod magazines. We have known each other for about 30 years. He did a 55 Pontiac for me years ago. Actually dyed the leather the two colors of green the car came with. We have become close friends in the last 5 years. He only does work for friends, or friends of theirs. He is still very busy, and honestly only takes on things that interest him. I have suggested he could make covers for our group. But he really isn't into just cutting and sewing. He likes challenges.

Currently doing a 92 Porsche coupe. Not sure of what it is called, but the seats are quite intricate.

I see him nearly every day. I can ask him, but if he says yes, it is very similar to Norm. He is a perfectionist and will not be rushed. I guarantee his work, but not his time frames.. lol

JohnWR, one option they had that was not offered in the US was the smokers package. It took me quite awhile to get it for my car. I have never seen a real Opel, but have been told it was not a standard feature.

#23 ·
Puts a lighter in front of the side panel grasp bar, and an ash tray on the passenger side. I will take some pictures of it and try to post them tomorrow night. My car is at the shop so no access to it tonight. I don't nor have I ever smoked. But rebadged my Sky to a Opel. This is one of the major differences from the Sky. Also have the rear fog light and control switch on the dash.

#25 ·
No, it was not available in the Sky or RL.

I think the Solstice had a smokers package in 2006.

The power port on the passenger side dash is not a lighter. Not supposed to be used as one according to GM and many on this site. My set up came from Germany, I do not have a lighter in the passenger side door.

I have never used it, but it is functional with the orange light around the lighter.

#26 ·
My Solstice GXP came with cloth seats. Only 30 coupes (GXP and NA) are cloth, so not many cars were issued with these.

It doesn't matter much in a coupe, but in a convertible, leather seats in the hot sun can give you a nasty burn if you sit on them with shorts on.

Can see a bit of them in this pic.

#27 · (Edited)
It doesn't matter much in a coupe, but in a convertible, leather seats in the hot sun can give you a nasty burn if you sit on them with shorts on.
I just lean the seatbacks forward when I leave the car in the sun. Shadows and protects both the seats and steering wheel from burning you.

#32 ·
Yes sir, it will fit the power port, but not enough insulation/protection on the socket for the lighter. I know people that use it for a lighter receptacle though.

I never saw the car today, hell I don't even know where it is at. Moved from its normal nesting place. So tired of it, I didn't even ask where it was.

Getting ready for a big mountain biking trip. No time for cars. lol

#34 · (Edited)
The seat burn of the leather inserts to the back of your legs moment... been there done that before.
Along with the driver's door arm rest, the console, the transmission lever, the steering wheel among other things.

Almost from day one, I have cover my leather seats with bath towels, Walmart specials. Cheap and effective.
These can be quickly removed when the show & shine session car show activities are part of your day.
They can be removed and washed on a frequent basis. Protects the seats from wear & tear, UV rays, the
occasion bird poop special. It also protects the back of my legs from getting burnt on a hot ass day.
Not a high dollar item when compared to custom seat covers. If these bath towels do wear out, wander on
up to local Walmart and purchase a new set. Color coordinated, tan for the two tone interior of my RL.
Light colors are better then dark colors here. A cloth alternative to the fabric seats from the factory.

With many micro-fiber towels around my interior for varying usage, from time to time, I have begun to get
creative to covering parts of the car's interior spaces. One or two to cover the console , maybe the transmission lever.
A foam can huggie fits well over this too. Used one folded up on the drivers door arm rest to ease the burn, saves my elbow.

Being that my back can get sore on some drives, I have taken to a small memory foam pillow, for the lower lumber
section of the driver's seat. Works well for me, and I fit more comfortable in the drivers seat. When not in use, I throw
this behind the drivers seat, or in the passenger footwell. I used it at the track last Saturday, to cover my cooler top
in the passenger footwell area. Keeps the direct sunlight from beating down on the cooler all day. Micro fiber towel works here too.
I had a light blue shirt on that day, which when it got hot later, I removed and... cover the entire steering wheel. Cool to the touch later. The passenger arm rest against the seat bolster squeak from hell? Wrap a micro fiber towel around the seat belt,
then place between the door arm rest and seat bolster, Close door. No more squeak.

I have a good buddy of mine, who owns a 62 MB vert, and sometimes when he shows up at the track, he brings an umbrella. WTH?
Pops it open, rests it on the head rest, and the windshield surround, and bingo the seat is covered for the day.

We have discussed here about the foil windshield sun blockers to protect the interior of our cars when parked.
Fine and dandy to protect the dash, but for the rest of our interiors not so much.
Up to you the owner to protect your interior, and the back of your legs.

LAC

#35 ·
I didn't see him yesterday. Most likely will today. What year GT did he get. I had a 94 VR4 for awhile. Nice car, but was expensive to maintain. It was the first year, and had front brake problems, mine went in less than 8K the first time. Really liked the car, twin turbo, all wheel steering, and drive if I remember correctly. Fast and fun. Air Dam and Spoiler worked.

#36 · (Edited)
Was it all wheel drive? Steering yes, but not drive IIRC. Kool car, way ahead of its time. Expensive too. Lot of computers to run
all the Hi-tech stuff. Ton of wiring too. Sort of like the GTR is now, 7 miles of wiring, PS4 features, more stuff to go wrong. Weight
is the killer to fun.

Wheeler Dealer did a show out your way, last year I think. VR4 Yellow with added factory chrome wheels. Purchased used for 6K.
It was ok in yellow I guess but the added factory chrome wheels in the end were imo to much. Like the older wheels on it when purchased but that's just me.

Ant fixed all the aero stuff, then takes it out, and does 120 in it like. Ye Ha.
Heavy car but fun it was when I had my base model. Without the twin turbo set up, kinda doggie with only 227 hp. The twin turbo
had about 320. Nothing wrong with that. Good god help you if both turbos were to go down. Big bucks to fix.
To say nothing of the four wheel steering, the air dam/ wing spoiler. Ant found the solutions, and Mike
sold the car to some young girl for 12K.

I saw over the weekend on Motor Trend one of the old Top Gear shows, and Jeremy had the Lexus LFA model.
Another high tech model way ahead of its time. Costs a fortune too. Formula 1 car with a body on it more or less.

Last night I watched Goblin Works Garage show pretty cool, Did a 65 Mustang, with a new Ford 289 engine.
Clean and Mean. Re-bought this model for 30k, then fixed it, sold to their
painter's daughter who just happen to want a road/ racer for personal use.
Her dad, the painter puts up 40K, and she adds another
$7500 and sold $47500. Think the Goblin crew spent 44k to fix it. Crazy.

LAC

#37 ·
I couldn't remember if it was AWD. Certainly would not surprise me. The car was way ahead of everything on the highway at the time it seemed. We had the white with the pearl look to it. Chrome wheels came on it. I wanted the red one, but none to be found at the time. They sold quickly, we traveled all over to find one in stock. They offered a phone in the console, ours did not have that, but think that was the only option it didn't have. But it was expensive going to the dealer. Got rid of it before the warranty expired. Anxious to see Grant's.

#40 ·
Back to the original question: I use a beaded seat cushion for ventilation. Also, I have never had a problem with the PPS. Could it be related? I think so.
......Sorry for going so in the weeds. I'm just a very proud Dad (of a son whose birthday is today)...

As for the thing about that beaded seat cushion thing...I almost know so. You're further spreading out the load on the seat.
Think we could get a moderator to get control of this? Oh, wait .....

I think that the seat heating pad also helps.

#44 ·
Nice looking car, & Happy Birthday to your son.
AWD.. I'll be.

Off topic posts... wandering away from the original question. Just wipe my posts clean off the forum.
I'll see if I can disable my keyboard functions... for the read only mode, and stay a member too maybe.
Been looking at new cars anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.