Ventilated seat covers - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ventilated seat covers

I have been reminded how much I hate leather seats when driving my Redline. FYI - During the early years of the auto industry. the chauffeur had the leather seats and the passengers sat on horse hair / angora / cloth seats. I actually saw a Sky with cloth seats once. Why do I hate leather? They don't breather, the get hotter than a two dollar pistol in a street fight, and they're slick as snot on a door knob. In winter, the colder than witch's you know what. Enough grousing.

Does anyone know of a any vendor that makes ventilated seats for the Sky that don't look like they came out of grandpa's Deuce and a quarter? Seat covers unlimited have some two-tones covers but they're either Neoprene or leatherette. Ugh squared.

Thanks, gang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:15 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Garage
Skys did come with cloth seats but most opted for the fake leather...it was/is richer looking. The cloth was quite dull looking.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:41 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Skys did come with cloth seats but most opted for the fake leather...it was/is richer looking. The cloth was quite dull looking.
that's interesting, I have never seen a sky with cloth seats, just sol's I am pretty sure the Sky came with more standard features than the sol (correct me if I am wrong) and I had assumed that the leather seats was one of those things, but if I've learned anything from being on here longer than MM, 😉 it's that he knows his sky stuff better than I. 😁
marlboromike likes this.

Driving an 08 Saturn Astra
To keep the miles off my garage queen (#58 of 89 Saturn Sky Hydro Blue Redline)
and contemplating Buying an old Opel GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:28 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Garage
Every now and then u may find someone with those cloth seats...Bill Solt who just returned to this forum has them in his Sky.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
The full seat assembly from a vendor for replacement, not likely. Could you hunt down one, err two from
a salvage yard here? Maybe...breathable fabric dull to some, that won't cook your ass, or slipping your tush
around the cabin space.

Could you take your car, to a good upholstery shop local to your location, to have an estimate done, on replacing
the seat "covers' with a ventilated fabric more to your liking and budget for replacement? Could be.. but shops quality
and reputation vary here, so maybe more than one shop for comparison sake time/costs might be a good idea before you
proceed with replacing your pleather seat covers to a fabric conversion more to your liking. Bada Bing in and out in 3 days
for X amount of dollars, and you're good to go. Then you might be able to sell, those leather, pleather covers to an owner here
looking to replace their fabric seat covers on the upgrade from the base fabric. Might be able to re-coop some of the costs
from the upholstery shop costs for your conversion.

LAC
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky4christ View Post
that's interesting, I have never seen a sky with cloth seats, just sol's I am pretty sure the Sky came with more standard features than the sol (correct me if I am wrong) and I had assumed that the leather seats was one of those things, but if I've learned anything from being on here longer than MM, 😉 it's that he knows his sky stuff better than I. 😁
Skys were available with cloth seats as standard...but I've only seen a few with the cloth.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Skys were available with cloth seats as standard...but I've only seen a few with the cloth.
The premium interior option switched the seats from cloth to leather and also included the steering wheel controls.
I suspect that nearly all Sky orders included that option, resulting in very few with cloth seats. I don't think I have ever seen one.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Fake leather? Pretty certain it's not faux leather, i have used over 20 chairs with faux leather, our cars seem to have genuine leather.

Also the cloth version came with the standard audio system, the leather version came with the full monsoon one.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Fake leather? Pretty certain it's not faux leather, i have used over 20 chairs with faux leather, our cars seem to have genuine leather.

Also the cloth version came with the standard audio system, the leather version came with the full monsoon one.
Seating surfaces are leather, rest is faux leather. Really, in a convertible, I'd prefer the faux leather.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...leather-33845/

My custom covers are a marine grade vinyl. They feel like leather, act like leather, smell like leather (when I clean them) but are fade resistance, UV resistant, Water resistant and very durable. For a convertible that can have it's interior exposed to the elements and used daily, this works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	105711   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	822.9 KB
ID:	105713   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	105715  

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Quote:
Seating surfaces are leather, rest is faux leather. Really, in a convertible, I'd prefer the faux leather.
To be clear, only the center panels are leather, the bolsters and sides are vinyl.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM

Garage
Quote:

My custom covers are a marine grade vinyl. They feel like leather, act like leather, smell like leather (when I clean them) but are fade resistance, UV resistant, Water resistant and very durable. For a convertible that can have it's interior exposed to the elements and used daily, this works great for me.
Only pay attention to the seat, the rest no but i would think they used the same material.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:

All faux leather is not created equal. The stuff GM uses is actually pretty good. And as Robo stated, the seats are a mixture of real and faux.
Seat cover material was not dependent on radio choice. See attached cuts from the 2008 Order Book.
It also appears that the Premium Trim Package, and therefore leather seats, were included with the RL option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	105717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	105719  

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 09-03-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
All faux leather is not created equal. The stuff GM uses is actually pretty good. And as Robo stated, the seats are a mixture of real and faux.
Seat cover material was not dependent on radio choice. See attached cuts from the 2008 Order Book.
It also appears that the Premium Trim Package, and therefore leather seats, were included with the RL option.
Don't know about the Redline, the Opel GT (at least in Greece) came in two versions, basic with cloth covered seats and the basic stereo and with leather seats (or a mix as you say) and the monsoon 6 disc stereo with the subwoofer.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Don't know about the Redline, the Opel GT (at least in Greece) came in two versions, basic with cloth covered seats and the basic stereo and with leather seats (or a mix as you say) and the monsoon 6 disc stereo with the subwoofer.
It didn't occur to me that the GT would have different option, but it makes sense that the choices would be limited. I would like to see and Opel GT Order Book / Option List.

John
Lexington, KY
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Rob...everytime I see something on your car im more and more impressed. Where did you get those seats, and for that matter your door panels done at?

I would love to do that with mine, especially with the custom decal.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in