Warranty or not? Trifecta tune? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By davhamm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Warranty or not? Trifecta tune?

Hey guys, two questions:

1. I just got my Redline last week and I am debating if to get a GM limited warranty ($167 mth/18 mths for 4 years coverage…..almost “bumper to bumper”-engine & tranny covered, minus basic main). Is it worth getting?

2. If I do, how can I add the Trifecta Budget tune without voiding the warranty? Is there a way to hide/ghost the tune upgrade with Trifecta tune?

........... but first, let's she how she does after their warranty inspection.....

Need4Speed2
SF Bay Area, CA
2008 Redline, 49k miles
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I do not think that $3000 would be a worthwhile expense. But don't expect me to pay your repair bills if I'm wrong. That said, if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

The only problem you can legally have from the tune is if it can be shown to have caused whatever went wrong, although I fully understand the hassle that you can go though proving fault. It would limit the risk to the driveline, so there is that. Of course you do have the option of buying the GMPP tune, which would be covered by the same warranty, since it is a GM "part".

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Read the details of what that covers and then compare that to what usually goes wrong with the car. For me, my extended warranty did pay for itself but I'm not usually one to get them.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
$3000 wow.. just bank the monthly payment in its own account and use it to pay if you need repairs. In 18 months I bet you would have money in the account.
GJinNY likes this.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I do not think that $3000 would be a worthwhile expense. But don't expect me to pay your repair bills if I'm wrong. That said, if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

The only problem you can legally have from the tune is if it can be shown to have caused whatever went wrong, although I fully understand the hassle that you can go though proving fault. It would limit the risk to the driveline, so there is that. Of course you do have the option of buying the GMPP tune, which would be covered by the same warranty, since it is a GM "part".

I asked the parts dept about their GMPP tune and they looked at me like I farted. I think I have to find the "parts code" so they can order the darn thing. Oye!

Still, its $600 for their tune and 3hrs labor they said......a grand!
FTS! I may just get the Trifecta budget tune and deal with the warranty when it comes up. Or, just cancel the thing.
You guys make good sense!

Need4Speed2
SF Bay Area, CA
2008 Redline, 49k miles

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in