Weird noise from cooling fan - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By copdriver91

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Weird noise from cooling fan

Hi everyone I have a very strange noise coming from my engine cooling fan. 08 redline 24000 miles the noise just started today,sounds like a pressure washer when it's trigger is pulled and released when the power shut off to the fan the noise stopped and the fan continued to turn no noise.I should mention this was after having the ac on and had shut off the car.I spun the fan manually and it doesn't seem to be touching anything or have any movement or play in the fan motor. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I would suspect the AC more than the fan.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:02 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I agree. Our air conditioners were garbage. They always made that horrible sound. Many under warranty had their compressors changed. Still that miserable noise when the AC was turned on. There really is no fix.

My mistake. There is a fix. Turn the radio louder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I agree. Our air conditioners were garbage. They always made that horrible sound. Many under warranty had their compressors changed. Still that miserable noise when the AC was turned on. There really is no fix.

My mistake. There is a fix. Turn the radio louder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear the car was shut down and the fan was running as it sometimes does when it's hot outside.I will check it tonight and see if I can find the problem.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok checked today and it is definitely the fan the compressor comes on no noise the fan comes on and the noise starts,what's the best way to remove the cowl to check what's happening?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure what cowl you are talking about, but the fan assembly is pretty easy to remove. There are only a couple bolts, an electrical connector to the fan and a couple christmas tree fasteners holding it in but the stock intake is in the way of actually getting it out.

This thread outlines the steps:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ssembly-74921/
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder if this could be the A/C accessory belt or the compressor clutch pulley perhaps?

IS the A/C charged up? Tested recently by dealer/independent A/C shop? IF not do so.
After sitting for some time, with no usage it could be several things here.
Yes while I agree with other owners here, our systems are not that great from the factory as is, the system does not
have to be, to cool a Vert. It's not like your trying to cool an Escalade here. Limited interior cabin space requires limited cooling.

When in use ( how often does it get used by you depending on location/weather? ) clutch engagement/dis-engagement
( squeaking/noise ), clutch bearings, pulley/belt (noise?) new belt maybe? Re-charge system?

A/C pressure/refridge charge, dryer, should be checked even in the odds months, when the car is stored for winter, to test the
systems under load operations before.... usage in hot driving weather. See owners manual> Climate Controls systems, page 3-17.
* There could be a slight change in engine performance when the A/C compressor unit turns off and then on again.
* The A/C systems removes moisture from the air, so a small amount of water could drip underneath the car.

Note: This water could land on cat/exhaust making a hissing sound/noise.
I test mine, even in Jan/Feb. for 3-5 minutes to work the clutch/oil bearings, pulley/belt to pressurize the system.
Fix/repair in April, is better than fixing it in July when... it gets hot out just sayin.
No one likes to be without A/C on top up hot humid days in July.

IF.. the A/C system is ok, checked/serviced by the dealer/private A/C shop for documentation at current mileage then move on to
fan/engine cooling system.

Fan works. No odd wear/rubbing issues found?
Fuses are good. No over heating issues? No odd engine temps in the DIC noted when A/C is used?
No loss of fluid in expansion tank after usage? No leaks of any kind under car after usage,
besides any condensation that might leak below car? Cooling fluid changed out? More than 5 years old usage?

Fan run on after shutdown. Cool down cycle after a hot day, hot driving, A/C usage.
It could run on 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes or more for some of our owners.
Each car is different here, just like our normal levels for each owner with their normal/high range engine temps vary/ 194-205 . Your results will vary depending on your car's range. Try to stabilize these temps before you shut down, fan, A/C, engine temps,
then engine shut off. Track any odd sequence after this, just in case you have to return to dealer/ private A/C shop for further repair/maintenance IF... they serviced your car for this problem previously ( A/C recharge/belt replacement )?

Your not over heating here. No high temps. Not the dreaded WP issue. Not stuck thermostat. A/C works, fan works, your body temps are cool all are pluses in your favor here. No out of pocket expenses … so far.

Check A/C system first. Could be a cheap fix maybe? Shop/compare for service between dealer/independent service
for best costs to you? A/C recharge & belt/pulley for compressor clutch can be DYI at cost or expensive by dealer/A/C shop.
Checking the DYI box for fan controller/belt for replacement.

Do nothing and accept our crappy/cheap factory system and live with it.
Drop top and drive faster... are we cool yet?
Buy another car( A/C system)? Not likely...
Service/replacing A/C system parts. Costly to your credit card.
Trust me I've been down this road before with my Mits. 3000 GT. & A/C system with this problem.

Last resort: Service cooling system on our car. DYI oh boy.
It's not just a job that the dealer tech Fast Eddie has to do... but it's a big old dent in your credit card.
Your engine fan might be going bad maybe. Engagement when A/C usage is on/off but.. not likely.
You would see high engine temps in the DIC.
Interior cabin blower fan works, noise is not coming from this area, only in the engine compartment/cooling fan area.

Luck with it.
LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 07-06-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Always tweeking/editing my post on the forum.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok friends I found the source of the noise,after taking the shroud out I found that the outer ring of the fan had broken causing it to expand and touch the shroud and that was what was making that strange noise.
marlboromike likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Good news!

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Do you have an NA or a Redline? The Redlinefan assembly is far more expensive (since it includes the controller). If you have a Redline, I've heard that you can take the fan blade off an NA assembly and swap it, but I cannot verify that personally - maybe someone else can comment?

UPDATE: Did a search, here's informational support for my claim https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-blade-117122/

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 07-06-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in