0-60 after GM tune - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
inherent slowness of the manual?

Inherent slowness
slsmag likes this.

Hers--RIP
07' Sunburst2.4l
2-14-07
3 pedals

Mine

08' Carbon Flash SE RL
6-4-08
3 pedals
No Goofy Spoiler
Vin# who cares

http://imsaturn.com/profile/sr819]
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, that didn't come out quite like I wanted...(I'm really not trying to start a war here)

I meant that the (non-upgraded) manual has a 0-60 time of 5.5 where the auto has a (non-upgraded) time of 5.2.

The upgraded manual gets an extra 15 ft-lbs of torque over the upgraded auto, but how do we know if that is enough to make an upgraded manual now faster than an upgraded auto?

I hope that is a bit clearer...

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really! I have yet to see some one post a better time in the 1/8 or the 1/4 than I and I have an automatic!!mile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash's Owner View Post
The manual is faster.

Stock 260 ft-lb/260 hp, 6250 redline.

Auto PUpgrade 325 ft-lb/290 hp, 6500 redline
Manual PUpgrade Kit 340 ft-lb/290 hp, 6500 Redline.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/448655-post4.html

is my discussion on my car. It is not strictly stock, as the wastegate is tightened (currently 6 turns). I estimate on the development cars I ran (manual tranny) on average:

5.4 sec 0-60 13.95 @ 101 MPH 1/4 mile for stock manual tranny with clean shifts.

Approx 4.9 sec 0-60 13.65 @ 103 MPH 1/4 mile for manual tranny and only PUPgrade kit.

Tightening the wastegate gets some performance and higher speed through the traps, but not that much in terms of ET to 60mph or 1/4 mile. Be careful if you decide to change the wastegate, I am just telling you what I have done with my car for disclosure. It is possible to have warranty work denied because of wastegate tampering.

My discussion on this forum here about wastegate adjustment: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/432719-post8.html

and my thoughts (NO RECOMMENDATIONS) on whether you should or should not tamper with the wastegate here: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/403232-post964.html

Hope you found this helpful.
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Manual PUpgrade Kit 340 ft-lb/290 hp, 6500 Redline.
Corvette ZR1
-First Gear complete ratio: 7.83
-Engine Torque: 604 lb-ft
-Total torque after gearing: 4729 lb-ft

SKY RL (Stage II)
-First Gear complete ratio: 14.0
-Engine Torque: 340 lb-ft
-Total torque after gearing: 4760 lb-ft

Eat your heart out ZR1.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
What makes you say that the Upgrade kit makes the manual faster than the auto? The stats you give are all for a manual.

The manual does get a few more pounds of torque, but how do you know that this is enough to overcome the inherent slowness of the manual?

Just to be clear, I'm NOT saying that you are wrong...I'd just like to know the facts behind your statement.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR819 View Post
Inherent slowness
Quote:
Sorry, that didn't come out quite like I wanted...(I'm really not trying to start a war here)

I meant that the (non-upgraded) manual has a 0-60 time of 5.5 where the auto has a (non-upgraded) time of 5.2.

The upgraded manual gets an extra 15 ft-lbs of torque over the upgraded auto, but how do we know if that is enough to make an upgraded manual now faster than an upgraded auto?

I hope that is a bit clearer...
It is clear to me.

I have run automatics, as well as my powertrain counterparts.

On stock cars, what happens is the automatics are very consistent, whereas manuals require absolutely spot on shifts at just the right RPM +/- about 75 RPM. It is like the modern ABS question. Most of the time, including averages of several runs, ABS will outbrake a normal person, but a professional driver may be able to outbrake ABS some of the time, and vary rarely get an average of several stops to match a highly efficient and well-tuned ABS.

The stock calibration is sensitive, and it is too easy to bump the fuel cutoff. Once that happens, the turbo spools down and you have a run with an added 0.1 to 0.3 seconds.

BUT, if you are consistent, you can get back to back runs on manuals that match an automatic. If you give a car to a magazine, you will see on average better and more consistent runs on an auto.

Keep in mind that I call them "back to back" runs, but you really need to run the car in the correct temperature range. If you start up and heat soak the car for 10 minutes, you can get knock and retarded timing and reduced boost right at the start, because your charge air cooler is warm and not cooling the intake charge enough. Conversely, I have found that if the coolant temp is not at least to 185F, you will not make full boost. I have not gotten an explanation of why this is, but it is very repeatable.

Now, with the PUpgrade Kit, you have an additional 15 ft-lb of torque in the manual, AND you have no-lift shift enabled. You also have another 250 RPM cushion from the fuel cutoff. The result is you can more easily get consistent runs at near-optimum speed, and the added torque once you hook up is enough to get a faster ET and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyonpsi View Post
Really! I have yet to see some one post a better time in the 1/8 or the 1/4 than I and I have an automatic!!mile
I saw your timeslip, and no offence, but your car is either not stock, or the timeslip is simply incorrect.

A stock automatic RedLine or GXP will do, at best, 13.7 seconds in a 1/4 mile. Even experimental cars we had with known crank horsepower and torque have trouble getting that fast (12.961 seconds @ 106.6 MPH)

Your car would be making an implied 350 hp crank (290 rwhp), and the stock intake, stock catalytic converter, and even the stock turbo are not capable of producing that amount of power without significant risk to the turbine. The system would have to be running a boost pressure in excess of 2.8 bar to get to those power levels.

When you go full throttle at 50 mph, and your car downshifts, what does your DIC say for maximum boost pressure?
slsmag likes this.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM rep., all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

I am a proud Solstice GXP owner (Flash). My wife, A FORMER GM engineer, is a proud Solstice GXP Coupe owner (Wicked).

Last edited by Flash's Owner; 07-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It is clear to me.

Now, with the PUpgrade Kit, you have an additional 35 ft-lb of torque in the manual, AND you have no-lift shift enabled. You also have another 250 RPM cushion from the fuel cutoff.
Don't you mean an extra 15 ft-lb, not 35?
And doesn't the automatic get the extra 250 RPM also?

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Don't you mean an extra 15 ft-lb, not 35?
And doesn't the automatic get the extra 250 RPM also?
Yes, corrected. My mistake.

The auto also gets the extra 250 RPM, but the shift points are not under your control. The auto will shift at the optimum point by itself, well short of 6500 RPM.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM rep., all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

I am a proud Solstice GXP owner (Flash). My wife, A FORMER GM engineer, is a proud Solstice GXP Coupe owner (Wicked).
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, corrected. My mistake.

The auto also gets the extra 250 RPM, but the shift points are not under your control. The auto will shift at the optimum point by itself, well short of 6500 RPM.
Correct, mine usually shifts right around 6300 at WOT.

2007 Sky Redline
GMPP Stage 2, GMPP Cold Air Intake
Sequential Tail Lights, WindRestrictor
Fender Lights, JPM Console and Sun Visors
DDMWorks Race Backbone and Pro-Beam
Auto-Dimming Mirror, 6k HID Headlights
Viper Remote Start / Alarm
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:44 PM

General observation on the manual/auto thing.

With today's tech, the qtr mile sprint tends to favor the automatic or the paddle shifters. The automatic or paddle tech has exceeded the traditional speed advantages of the manual shifter.

Manual shift still rules the curvy track day, since optimal shifting is often anticipatory which is something an automatic can't do. Of course, then there are the paddle shifters, which are perhaps the best of both worlds. Driver gets to anticipate the shift AND gets the faster shifting (depending on the tech).

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
General observation on the manual/auto thing.

With today's tech, the qtr mile sprint tends to favor the automatic or the paddle shifters. The automatic or paddle tech has exceeded the traditional speed advantages of the manual shifter..
Absolutely right, Bogie. It takes hundreds of launches to get tuned to how each car needs to be shifted to have optimally short gearshifts. The Auto trannies do this job extremely well on a straight line shift.

However, they are less good on downshifting, and picking the right gear for the changing demands of a road track.

I am a GM Engineer.

post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Flash's Owner...I just noticed your sig...

I hope everything is OK for you in Detroit. I go there frequently...it is a shame what has happened to the city.

Also sorry about my Penguins beating the Redwings...WOW...what a series.

2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red SE
5 speed manual
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM

Redlining at 50mph

I've had the GMPP upgrade for a couple months now (no other performance upgrades) and today I had to nail it and I redlined at 50mph in 2nd gear at WOT. My boost was reading 19psi. I don't think thats right so I'm taking the car in next Wednesday. In the mean time, does anybody have any idea why I can't reach 60mph in second gear? Thanks.

Don

2008 Redline
Black/Black/Black
5 speed
Spoiler
Kenwood DNX570HD
Kicker Speakers
Monsoon amp
WR V2
DDM Backbone Steet Version
GMPP Upgrade+
Solo'S MACH Shorty Exhaust

aka: Elvira
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 PM

O.K. lets me see if i can explaine this. I have a 2007 gxp. At about 6000 miles i put on amagnaflow 3" exhaust and had the car dynoed. The car came in at 216h.p. I thought it was a little low but thats another story. I few days later i did a 0to60 and a 1/4 mile run on my dash-hawk. 0to 60was 4.9 and 1/4 mile times were in the 13.7,around 98mph. I did this numerous times that day and they were all pretty consistant. Later that year i took off the exhaust,and put the stock exhaust back on. Well now this year i did the gmpp tune and tried the dash-hawk test again. The numbers were exactily the same. The car is stock except for the tune,and 3000 more miles on the speedo. I should have tried the test after taking off the 3" exhaust but i didnt. Maybe the tune compinsated for taking off the exhaust. The reason i took off the magnaflow was it developed a real annoying drone at about 2000rpm.
Oh yeah the car is a auto.

If you gotta ask "how much?". you cant afford it.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sooner Send a message via Yahoo to Sooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolift View Post
I've had the GMPP upgrade for a couple months now (no other performance upgrades) and today I had to nail it and I redlined at 50mph in 2nd gear at WOT. My boost was reading 19psi. I don't think thats right so I'm taking the car in next Wednesday. In the mean time, does anybody have any idea why I can't reach 60mph in second gear? Thanks.
Doesn't sound right - I know I have had mine past 60 in second and near 90 in third. Couldn't explain why you aren't getting there, although I do also have the RPi intercooler, exhaust, and high flow cat downpipe.

Sooner Magic - 2007 Sky Redline, red / black
GMPP tune; Westers tune; RPI intercooler, high flow cat downpipe, GT-S exhaust; DDM ProBeam and Backbone; Opel antenna; Windrestrictor and door sills

Facebook
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
It is clear to me.

I have run automatics, as well as my powertrain counterparts.

On stock cars, what happens is the automatics are very consistent, whereas manuals require absolutely spot on shifts at just the right RPM +/- about 75 RPM. It is like the modern ABS question. Most of the time, including averages of several runs, ABS will outbrake a normal person, but a professional driver may be able to outbrake ABS some of the time, and vary rarely get an average of several stops to match a highly efficient and well-tuned ABS.

The stock calibration is sensitive, and it is too easy to bump the fuel cutoff. Once that happens, the turbo spools down and you have a run with an added 0.1 to 0.3 seconds.

Keep in mind that I call them "back to back" runs, but you really need to run the car in the correct temperature range. If you start up and heat soak the car for 10 minutes, you can get knock and retarded timing and reduced boost right at the start, because your charge air cooler is warm and not cooling the intake charge enough. Conversely, I have found that if the coolant temp is not at least to 185F, you will not make full boost. I have not gotten an explanation of why this is, but it is very repeatable.

Now, with the PUpgrade Kit, you have an additional 15 ft-lb of torque in the manual, AND you have no-lift shift enabled. You also have another 250 RPM cushion from the fuel cutoff. The result is you can more easily get consistent runs at near-optimum speed, and the added torque once you hook up is enough to get a faster ET and speed.

I saw your timeslip, and no offence, but your car is either not stock, or the timeslip is simply incorrect.

A stock automatic RedLine or GXP will do, at best, 13.7 seconds in a 1/4 mile. Even experimental cars we had with known crank horsepower and torque have trouble getting that fast (12.961 seconds @ 106.6 MPH)

Your car would be making an implied 350 hp crank (290 rwhp), and the stock intake, stock catalytic converter, and even the stock turbo are not capable of producing that amount of power without significant risk to the turbine. The system would have to be running a boost pressure in excess of 2.8 bar to get to those power levels.

When you go full throttle at 50 mph, and your car downshifts, what does your DIC say for maximum boost pressure?
I have a stock engine/stock turbo/tranny but I have practiocally every possible bolt on that supposedly helps boost performance! My car is a perfect example what can be done to boost performance but not do any internal work. By the way, I'm seeing an average of 23lbs boost WOT!!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in