2007 Turbo Build Thread - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
2007 Turbo Build Thread

Turbo kit from PAW should be getting shipped next Tuesday and the install should start saturday or so. Ill be posting pics and maybe some questions if any snags, here.

Im a bit premature with this post but after i got the shipping notice from UPS I cant sleep from excitement. Its like christmas as a kid again.

Ill be seeing you..
Emmett and Black Sheep like this.

Pat
post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
I know your feeling. My new engine and turbo are at my mechanic's place waiting for him to have time to install it. Mid Jan. looks like its going to be the time frame for install...the next 28 days are going to suck.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
28 days.. thats gonna be rough! Good luck! haha
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused. You already have a Redline. Why do you need a turbo kit?
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Emmett,

I have the base. One quick way to tell from the front of the skys is by the chrome bar that runs through the middle of the black plastic mesh beside the foglight assembly. On the redlines the chrome goes around the black mesh.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
heres pictures so you can see the difference: base is on jackstands redline is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	103651   Click image for larger version

Name:	redline.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	103653  

Pat
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattsullivan View Post
heres pictures so you can see the difference: base is on jackstands redline is not.
Oh. Sorry. I didn't see the bar in the small icon image. Got it.

So the kit is like $3,500?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
4,500 list price for the kit, but i also added some other accessories to compliment it.
Emmett likes this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
$4500. bills for just parts, that IS some upgrade your doing there to your base Kappa. Labor costs? After the job is done.... ETA when that is? The wait is ever so long when Santa shows up with new toys for your Kappa. I wanna play with them now. I know it's not Christmas morning, there really is NO Santa Claus... but I gotta permagrin soon or I'll go crazy. Maybe not crazy but.... Expensive presents for the Kappa.

Keep us up to date with the install, and any problems you might have during the break in period? Keep things close to home, and mechanic for now until all the bugs if any are worked out over the next... 500 miles. Batteries not included. Takes 8 aaa batteries to make this toy work. Opps I forget about the battery pack. Oh look a pack of 24 at the check out counter, how convenient like the store knew... someone was gonna need extra batteries for Christmas presents. Funny how that works out... isn't it?

* Robo… new motor & turbo.. 28 days until recover mode for your car? Wow... Big upgrade again for you, I am not surprised by this at all though. lol
What happened to your old motor & turbo? Dead and gone? Still good? 28 days detox mode 12 step... too much permagrin intoxication for you. Happens.
New for 2019... Auto X.. watch out all the guys Robo ran last year.. something new and improved for Max. MAX 2.0 version, err 2.4 version...

The costs to improve your Kappa comes in many shapes and forms. How much you spend, and to what components to the car you improve is up to each owners wish list from Santa... Faster than 8 reindeer that's for sure....

LAC
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LAC,

Labor costs are just going to be the cost of some tools i may need, scraped knuckles and hours in the garage. Me and the old man are going to be putting her in starting this weekend once im off of work for the holidays (friday 12/21). But the tuning will be done by Dave at PAW so im thinking it will all be said and done by the first week of January. I will be posting updates through the install and i will also follow up through the break in period so hopefully my thread can be of use to someone on here.

Funny about batteries.. i seem to have had the same issue with the sky. Purchases turbo kit.. oh upgrade to dual ball bearing? okay! and a nice powdercoat.. sure! how bout some afr and boost gauges with a nice pod? but maybe i need to throw in some engine bling to match the powdercoat too.. lets do it! Actually this might be a nice time to mention what else is done to Scarlett (performance wise): Center feed fuel rail - convert to return style system with a higher boost level (only about 8 psi to start), chassis brace bundle from DDM, short thow shifter because racecar, DDM slotted rotors, hi flow cat and 2.5" catback from solo performance. Other than that i have been preparing for boost. Bought Some colder plugs, Got a wideband 02 kit, boost gauges, A pillar pod from DDM, high temp coolant lines and of course some engine bay bling to go with the kit.

If i were to add it all up ive spend a lot upgrading my polished turd. I say polished turd because I think the styling on the car is superb, but the base just doesnt have the brawn to back the beauty. although with the addition of boost i should be solving my turd issue. Hehe.

ACTUAL UPDATE: The kit actually arrived early this morning In a big ass box!!! So Im going to do an overview of the instructions and make sure theres not any tools i may be missing and i will be posting some preview pics of the powdercoat later today. This last week of work is going to be a long one. Should have some actual progress on the install by Saturday. Stay tuned!
LAC Sky likes this.

Pat

Last edited by Pattsullivan; 12-17-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post

* Robo… new motor & turbo.. 28 days until recover mode for your car? Wow... Big upgrade again for you, I am not surprised by this at all though. lol
What happened to your old motor & turbo? Dead and gone? Still good? 28 days detox mode 12 step... too much permagrin intoxication for you. Happens.
New for 2019... Auto X.. watch out all the guys Robo ran last year.. something new and improved for Max. MAX 2.0 version, err 2.4 version...
LAC
Old engine and turbo are still in the car and I'm still driving it everyday but I think I have something going on in the head. Have a terrible and inconsistent vacuum leak. Car cruises okay but some misfires under acceleration (along with a very lean condition which is probably what is leading to the misfires) and idle is all over the map. Vacuum jumps around from -21 inches of mercury then up to like -10 or -7 inches of mercury. Sometimes it stalls at idle after driving for a while, sometimes its perfect. Performed a pressure test and everything outside of the engine looked good but heard a strange buzzing sound from the back side of the engine under pressure...like a reed in a wind instrument. Think that might be the head gasket. The new motor wasn't ordered because of this problem, just REALLY good timing.

So I don't push it and just drive it to and from work (80-95% highway cruising depending on traffic) and hope she gets by until January...LOL For AutoX I just hope I make all 6 races this year since they expanded the schedule.

Quote:
LAC,

Labor costs are just going to be the cost of some tools i may need, scraped knuckles and hours in the garage. Me and the old man are going to be putting her in starting this weekend once im off of work for the holidays (friday 12/21). But the tuning will be done by Dave at PAW so im thinking it will all be said and done by the first week of January. I will be posting updates through the install and i will also follow up through the break in period so hopefully my thread can be of use to someone on here.

Funny about batteries.. i seem to have had the same issue with the sky. Purchases turbo kit.. oh upgrade to dual ball bearing? okay! and a nice powdercoat.. sure! how bout some afr and boost gauges with a nice pod? but maybe i need to throw in some engine bling to match the powdercoat too.. lets do it! Actually this might be a nice time to mention what else is done to Scarlett (performance wise): Center feed fuel rail - convert to return style system with a higher boost level (only about 8 psi to start), chassis brace bundle from DDM, short thow shifter because racecar, DDM slotted rotors, hi flow cat and 2.5" catback from solo performance. Other than that i have been preparing for boost. Bought Some colder plugs, Got a wideband 02 kit, boost gauges, A pillar pod from DDM, high temp coolant lines and of course some engine bay bling to go with the kit.
How are you doing your return system? I was told by DDM that once they ship that fuel rail with the ends plugged that they have not had good luck removing those end plugs without fouling the threads or stripping the plug. I wound up having to order a second fuel rail with those plugs uninstalled to be the foundation of my setup. Would like to develop my own fuel rail specifically for this setup. Also, what fuel pump are you going with? I did a 255lph Walbro but I think they make a 450 now that will work with our systems. I think @RickyD has a pair of them in his tank to feed his setup...either that or the gentleman with the 2JZ on Facebook...one of the two has them. The 255lph is fine for my setup unless I switch over to E85.

Quote:
If i were to add it all up ive spend a lot upgrading my polished turd. I say polished turd because I think the styling on the car is superb, but the base just doesnt have the brawn to back the beauty. although with the addition of boost i should be solving my turd issue. Hehe.

ACTUAL UPDATE: The kit actually arrived early this morning In a big ass box!!! So Im going to do an overview of the instructions and make sure theres not any tools i may be missing and i will be posting some preview pics of the powdercoat later today. This last week of work is going to be a long one. Should have some actual progress on the install by Saturday. Stay tuned!
LOL Christmas came a week early. LOL Sounds like my build. New valve cover in orange because the red one I have now just won't do. Charge pipes need to get repainted. New injectors because the old ones won't go up to these power levels but mind you the old ones only went in when the turbo went on. Oh, might as well change engine mounts since the engine will be out. Oh, cooling issues

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I had planned on converting the system by boring out the end connections but didnt know this was an issue with the DDM system.. the RPM fuel rail looks like it may be promising (Unless there will be a custom Robo Return Fuel Rail avaliable for purchase), but I suppose i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

For now im retaining the stock fuel pump. It doesnt seem to run into any issues up until about 300 whp. Werks doesnt include upgraded fuel pump until they run 60# injectors on the stage 2. Realistically i should upgrade it to be safe but at the first sign of fueling issues i will be replacing with this unit,

WERKSracing Kappa 700hp Fuel Pump kit, Performance Autowerks

which also supports the use of E85.

Pat
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heres some teaser pics.. I got the chrome powdercoat on the charge piping and compressor housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8890.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	103667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8891.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	103669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8888.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	103671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8889.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	103673  

Pat
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I had planned on converting the system by boring out the end connections but didnt know this was an issue with the DDM system.. the RPM fuel rail looks like it may be promising (Unless there will be a custom Robo Return Fuel Rail avaliable for purchase), but I suppose i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

For now im retaining the stock fuel pump. It doesnt seem to run into any issues up until about 300 whp. Werks doesnt include upgraded fuel pump until they run 60# injectors on the stage 2. Realistically i should upgrade it to be safe but at the first sign of fueling issues i will be replacing with this unit,

WERKSracing Kappa 700hp Fuel Pump kit, Performance Autowerks

which also supports the use of E85.
If I go E85 that will be the pump I'll need to swap out with.

For the rails, you wouldn't drill out the ends of the DDM rail. Those are screw in fittings using NPT pipe threads (want to say 1/4" NPT but not certain right now...I did a write up on it on here with all the sizes and parts but that may get revised here in the next month). However, you can TRY to remove them using a proper fitting Allen wrench...but this is where Dave said they ran into issues once those end plugs were installed. Worse case you sill have to buy a new fuel rail. The RPM one works well but the Modified DDM setup I have holds more fuel in the rail under pressure which makes it a bit more consistent when delivering fuel at WOT. It's one of those "It gives me the warm fuzzies" kind of things rather than it being an actually issue. LOL

Quote:
Heres some teaser pics.. I got the chrome powdercoat on the charge piping and compressor housing.
Looking good. Eventually I want to get the nicer BOV/Bypass Valve that PAW sells too. I just went with the K04 style Bypass Valve.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
@Pattsullivan Where in KY are you? I may come check out your project.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in