2007 Turbo Build Thread - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
John,

I live in Louisville but am doing the install in Richmond.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Robo, thats unfortunate about the DDM rail. I hadnt even really looked that deep into the process of converting to the return style system (shame on me), i just assumed the plugs would be able to be drilled out and the outer threads would be used for plumbing the regulator and return lines. Now that i am thinking about it though, maybe you could use some old scraps or worn tools to spot weld something to the end of the plug that could be more easily gripped and then wrench it out that way.. similar to the trick used to get stripped/sheared screws out. Im just thinking out loud though. Its been a while since ive even observed the ends of the fuel rail on my car to know if this is feasible. But like i said, ill just cross that bridge when i come to it.

The Tial bov n wastegate look to be pretty high quality. Actually, everything ive looked at in the kit seems to be high quality. Doesnt look like there were any comprimises made in the design.

For now, im going through the turbo install instructions and pulling applicable kappa service manual procedures that way i shouldnt have to look up too much information from the manual mid-install. Id like to think this will save me a fair amount of time. LOL listen to me. I need something to get my mind off this or its gonna be a long week.

Pat
Old 12-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattsullivan View Post
Robo, thats unfortunate about the DDM rail. I hadnt even really looked that deep into the process of converting to the return style system (shame on me), i just assumed the plugs would be able to be drilled out and the outer threads would be used for plumbing the regulator and return lines. Now that i am thinking about it though, maybe you could use some old scraps or worn tools to spot weld something to the end of the plug that could be more easily gripped and then wrench it out that way.. similar to the trick used to get stripped/sheared screws out. Im just thinking out loud though. Its been a while since ive even observed the ends of the fuel rail on my car to know if this is feasible. But like i said, ill just cross that bridge when i come to it.

The Tial bov n wastegate look to be pretty high quality. Actually, everything ive looked at in the kit seems to be high quality. Doesnt look like there were any comprimises made in the design.

For now, im going through the turbo install instructions and pulling applicable kappa service manual procedures that way i shouldnt have to look up too much information from the manual mid-install. Id like to think this will save me a fair amount of time. LOL listen to me. I need something to get my mind off this or its gonna be a long week.
I have the wastegate I just don't have the BOV/Bypass Valve. Forgot to order it when I was getting the rest of my stuff and just don't have the funds for it now.

The main issue with the plugs in the DDM rail...and keep in mind I didn't try to remove the set from my first rail. I'm just going by Dave's word here...is that the threads are what get buggered when you try and take the plugs out. Something about removing them screws up the ends to where the rail is unusable. I would contact Dave at DDM for more info on this since he is the one that had the experience with it. I took his word for it and just custom ordered a rail without all the plugs and only some of the fittings.
Pattsullivan likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Bought Some colder plugs, Got a wideband 02 kit, boost gauges, A pillar pod from DDM, high temp coolant lines and of course some engine bay bling to go with the kit.

Should have some actual progress on the install by Saturday. Stay tuned!
Fun!

I read about a frame/support mod you're doing, which peaked my interest. That's something I'd like. Are you doing that yourself too?

Once tires are out of the way (Firestone Firehawk Indie's arriving in a few days), I'll have to address a lag on initial gas (perhaps it's a normal turbo lag?), then I can start on the bolt on fun stuff... cold air induction, mods to get 300 hp, e.t.c

Fun fun fun.

By now, you may have progressed well into your project. What a nice Christmas.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
I'll have to address a lag on initial gas (perhaps it's a normal turbo lag?), then I can start on the bolt on fun stuff... cold air induction, mods to get 300 hp, e.t.c
I suspect that any initial lag on the gas you're feeling is normal turbo lag, keep the revs above 2500 and you should get good throttle response.

As far as getting 300hp, I get the feeling you might try to take the long way around, but you can just load the Trifecta budget tune and be there. Not to mention, any other modifications you do will be "tuned out" automatically by the stock software, so you'll need do some kind of software modification first if you'd like to start increasing power.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ParakeetJohn,

Yes, I installed the brace bundle from DDM already. It wasn’t bad. The probeam brace which mounted the rear crossmember to the lower suspension mounts was the only one that gave me trouble. The other braces I installed was a thicker transmission tunnel brace and a brace similar to a tower strut. Overall I felt they improved the handling a bit. I noticed less body flex and the rear seemed to be more planted.

As for my project Im actually still waiting for another box with the rest of the kit to arrive. It’s scheduled to be here next Thursday. I think I’ll go ahead and start the install Christmas Day after all the festivities while I wait for the last box.

Pat
Old 12-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
...probeam brace which mounted the rear crossmember to the lower suspension mounts was the only one that gave me trouble.
Did you take before/ after pics by chance; especially of that mod which proved a bit difficult?

I do experience a flex creak when entering my driveway (at an angle). That's my reason to eventually do this mod. I suspect the three mods you mentioned could all help this. I have the Redline trim, which I believe may already have a bit stronger/stiffer chassis? These mods can only help.

Quote:
The other braces I installed was a thicker transmission tunnel brace
I remember reading about this mod and thinking it would be an easy swap. My only concern would be stripping one of the bolts while wrenching it out. I'd imagine they are torqued in there pretty good.

Quote:
...brace similar to a tower strut.
Did this go between the front struts? This seems like another easy install (I hope).

Quote:
... start the install Christmas Day after all the festivities while I wait for the last box.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, and, good luck with your project.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got some work done on the car yesterday. Replaced some coolant lines and got the intercooler mounted. Went to start installing the charge piping before I remembered I didn’t get a stock ecm scan sent to PAW.. HP tuners should be in the the last package that should be arriving tomorrow. Once I get the rest of the kit I’ll throw the stock air box back on and drive her around open engined and get the stock ecm scan sent over so I can make some real progress on this. Some Pics below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76BE29BF-BE76-45A6-936A-446D8A4E83AC_1545859374915.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	103719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDBE9C7D-0208-429F-B4CF-F5FE699DE164_1545859396674.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	103721   Click image for larger version

Name:	C7EB1038-8FA3-4DED-84EF-CED5C2ECD655_1545859435880.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	540.9 KB
ID:	103723  

Pat
Old 12-27-2018, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ParakeetJohn,

I did not take any pics for the braces. I did mine on jack stands and wouldn’t have had much room to get a good picture anyhow. The redline does come with a better suspension over the base so I cannot be sure how much of a noticeable difference they would make, but it would be stiffer than stock.

I wouldn’t worry about stripping the threads. They are a little tight as GM used locktite when installing the stock brace, but just use a breaker bar or socket with a pipe and you shouldn’t have any issues. The hardest part about the backbone install (for me) was removing the exhaust hangers. They’re easy to put back on.

The front brace was very easy to install. Just remove 4 bolts and replace them with the brace over the bold holes. If you have a stock air box you’ll have to remove the big air chamber just after the MAF to access the 2 driver side bolts.
You’ll need an extension for the bolts that run parallel to the ground as they can be a little difficult to get to. In my last post you can see the location of the front brace in the pics. It is the red brace at the front of the engine below the upper radiator hose.

And merry Christmas and happy New Years to you and yours as well.

Pat
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
The hardest part about the backbone install (for me) was removing the exhaust hangers. They’re easy to put back on.
The trick I found is to push the rubber hanger as far back from the end of the metal part of the hanger as possible then dab a bit of grease on the metal hanger and slide the rubber hanger over that. I usually then push the rubber hanger back, apply a bit more grease, and the rubber hanger now comes right off. Makes installation a whole lot easier too. Then wipe it all down when done.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The front brace was very easy to install. Just remove 4 bolts and replace them with the brace over the bold holes. If you have a stock air box you’ll have to remove the big air chamber just after the MAF to access the 2 driver side bolts.
You’ll need an extension for the bolts that run parallel to the ground as they can be a little difficult to get to. In my last post you can see the location of the front brace in the pics. It is the red brace at the front of the engine below the upper radiator hose.

And merry Christmas and happy New Years to you and yours as well.
Excellent information. You have a gift for explaining things clearly.

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Made some real progress today! HP tuners arrived and I sent over the stock ecm scan for tuning which allowed me to really get started on the build. Got the cold side charge piping mounted and some of the hot. Swapped out the injectors, map sensor and spark plugs for their upgraded counterparts. Took maybe 3 hours. Stopped at 11 for the day. More to come tomorrow! Sorry for the blurry picture, I think I got some motor oil on the camera haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3DE892BB-460F-40E6-96F8-3BC0C12B6194_1546156935707.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	103769   Click image for larger version

Name:	2DF2E9ED-68AE-49C3-9F33-B7E862789726_1546156970522.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	103771   Click image for larger version

Name:	8101F9B0-55D0-43D7-A3CC-2059691ED0C2_1546156985897.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	103773  

Pat
Old 12-31-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Good progress sir. I don't know if they mention it but after you get it all done, take it for a spin and heat things up. When you get back, check the torque on the four nuts that hold the turbo to the manifold. They will loosen on you after that first break in. Re-torque them and you should be golden.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Old 01-01-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for the lack of progress posts. I’ve always worked too late to want to stay up and write a post. The other day I got the old exhaust manifold and downpipe (it was a little worn!) off the car as well as the thermostat housing and coolant pipe. The hoses on the thermostat housing were a biotch to get off so I made the tool in the pic out of a cheap screwdriver to pry them off without damaging them. Then I got the oil feed installed. Calle did quits there that day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86C6BD25-95D7-4EC5-978C-A6E832F0BAA8_1546382173306.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	103785   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0CE776A-BBFC-48D9-A558-368BA7DA1BCC_1546382213746.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	103787   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DD78C19-EB4B-46D9-919D-FDD960ECDA74_1546382238446.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	103789   Click image for larger version

Name:	33AFC8C9-C143-492E-A202-9696DC3C00FA_1546382276261.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	103791   Click image for larger version

Name:	48C14579-CC29-4FC2-B207-8176A5004E6E_1546382301304.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	103793  

Pat
Old 01-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yea those hoses can be a real pain if they've been on there a few years. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in