Any Dyno's Of Redline On Base Trifecta And Solo Hiflow Downpipe? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Any Dyno's Of Redline On Base Trifecta And Solo Hiflow Downpipe?

Hey! Title says it all.

I've searched and searched and searched and I can't seem to find any dyno's anywhere of a redline (or gxp) with a Trifecta base tune and Solo Hiflow downpipe. I know the typical stock redline with base trifecta numbers are around 250-280 whp and 300-315ft lbs of torque (judging by 1/4mile performance my car's 13.6 at 102 last year was right there in that range before the downpipe). I'm just really curious to see what a Solo Hiflow downpipe does to those numbers and am hopeful someone out there has a dyno of one.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
That should be about accurate. I'm dyno tuned by zzp. The only items I have are AM IC Piping and a Fujita CAI (one of the hardest CAIs to tune) and Solo Street Race Exhaust. I'm tuned to 283 whp and 317ft/lbs. Tuner said I could have seen 320 with a HFC and IC. There was one pull (out of 6) that he had me at 314hp but he had to back it down because there was too much knock from the heat build-up from no AM IC.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Agreed. I would just like to see the actual curves and some definitive numbers from dynos. I know they have to be out there somewhere!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I might doubt that a bit... You have to understand, the median age of the Kappas was about 68 years old until about 3 years ago when pricing started to fall. When I bought mine in '13, there was only one guy younger then me that I knew about here on the forum...and I was 39. To many owners have been happy with just putting a tune in the car to wake it up a bit and then be done with it. If you've ever seen a dyno tune, it's not for the faint of heart or someone that respects their car. I've had mine done...and watching your "baby" go to 7k RPM in 4th gear (I have no rev limiter per my tuner) is not an easy task. So that's 35mph start in 4th gear, to 122mph.... that's about 20 seconds of waiting for the "KABOOOOOM"...

Not trying to be offensive to anyone here, by any means, just stating some observations about the age. What you have purchased is what we in the Ford dealership world used to call a Gentlemen's sports car. We used to call the Mustang Cobra that....

KABOOOOOOMMM!!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Agreed. I would just like to see the actual curves and some definitive numbers from dynos. I know they have to be out there somewhere!
I don't remember reading posts of before and after dyno results as it relates to individual Kappa performance parts. I know there's been a lot of post regarding Dyno results, but as far as breaking it down per performance part and following up by a dyno results, then no I don't remember seeing those types of postings. That's why I've always have been dubious when it comes HP/TQ claims from aftermarket performance parts manufacturers. The closest I've read is someone saying they added a performance part and then saying that their butt-o-meter says it's faster. For example, in the earlier days people were posting that a cold air intake added HP. This was before it became common knowledge that in order to take advantage of any Kappa performance part that you had to have a tune to remove the preset OEM ECM settings. Now most of us know that the CAI doesn't do anything other than make noise and clean up the engine bay. Because it turns out GM did a good job with the OEM unit.

About the only claim I can see that I believe is the GMPP tune of 260HP/260TQ to 290HP/360TQ. But as far as adding a HFCC and verifying the HP/TQ claims by dyno testing, or adding a Solo Performance exhaust and then dyno testing the HP/TQ results, then no I don't remember anyone posting those types before and after dyno results. Most performance part feedback I read on the forums are of the anecdotal variety. One of the reason I took so long to add performance parts was because I let others be first, and then after reading enough posts by people saying they were happy with the results is when I'd finally break-down and order a part. Then again, I'm a natural cynic and believe in the saying; You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. YMMV
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Garage
I have a dyno showing my 251 whp when I put it on the Dyno in AZ after phase 1 of my turbo build. The 251 whp mark came on at 4200 RPM. I knew there was more there and wanted to tweak it before I posted numbers. When I got home from AZ, I set up HPTuners to log actual torque and then calculate BHP from that figure. Using HPT I calculated 250 whp (BHP figure HPT calculated times 0.82 for observed drivetrain loss in the LE5). This was the same kind of weather and same temperatures on the same tune with the same parts on the car. It was enough for me to call the calculations the ECM provides for torque and the HPT BHP calculations close enough to what you'd see on a dyno. So when I say I'm seeing 266 whp from my setup, I'm fairly confident in that number.

A word on CAIs. For the turbo cars I have no idea what changes they make to the way the engine produces power. In the 2.4 though, I knew from the dyno my car was put on at MagnaFlow for their exhaust that while peak HP dropped (by 1 hp) the torque curve in the low to mid range was higher and much flatter than with the OEM intake. That IS a benefit even if overall power dropped slightly.

People put a lot of weight on PEAK HP numbers but I'll take slightly less peak HP for a far more useable and broad power band. So while like ChopTop I'm not very trusting of a lot of the numbers that get thrown out about aftermarket parts but at the same time, even dyno numbers can fluctuate based on conditions, dyno type and even dyno operator.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Closest comparo i could find has to do with Monadzback's dynos. The first graph is a stock Redline with Trifecta tune:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104101&thumb=1

The second one is of Monadzback's Redline with gutted cat and 25 psi trifecta tune:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104103&thumb=1

This is on the same superflow dyno as well. So on the stock cat dyno with trifecta he made 264whp and 310ftlbs torque. On the second dyno with gutted cat he made 283whp and 348 ftlbs torque.

I think the really high torque increase on the second dyno has to do more with the modified tune than the gutted cat.

That said, he dynoed without the trifecta on stock car and got 232whp and 236ftlbs torque. He also dynoed after the gutted cat on the stock tune and got 253.5whp and around 250ftlbs of torque....

Essentially, I'd say he was able to get about a 20whp and 20ftlbs of torque increase with the gutted cat. That at least is some good evidence to go on. As to the differences of the tuned numbers....I would very much doubt I'd see a 38ftlb of torque increase over a stock cat. I think he may have gotten it retuned by vince after he gutted the cat. Anyway, at least we have similar circumstances to make a comparison.

Here is the stock tune stock cat dyno curve:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104105&thumb=1

Here is the stock tune gutted cat dyno curve(again this one made 253whp and around 250 torque:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104107&thumb=1

PS. sorry for the low quality of the "gutted cat" dyno curves...I basically took screen shots of the video he had of the dyno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trifecta dyno 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	104101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monadzback Trifecta Gutted Cat 26psi dyno.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	104103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trifecta Dyno 3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	104105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gutted Cat Stock Tune.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	104107  

Last edited by MattM; 02-01-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in