Cheapest upgrade for NA 2.4 hp increase - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Cheapest upgrade for NA 2.4 hp increase

Looking for a little more HP on a budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
Your best move in honesty, not trying to be a smart ass by any means, is to find a buyer for your car and buy a Redline. You will be very happy with power increase and most likely cost you a lot less. Not much you can do without dropping a couple of thousand into it, to get to the stock Redline level. Then you add in the time down, the expense and learning curve of the new modifications, which does away with the dependability of the car. The NA's are falling rapidly in value, just saw a NA Solstice, 99K Passed smog recently and tags are current with new tires for 2800.00.

Personally the only mod to bring it to a good horsepower level is to upgrade to trubo or supercharger. The only vendor that I would recommend is Dave from Performance Autowerks. I have heard good things abour RPM, but also know the past. Dave a PAW is a really good guy, and will help you. He has been helping me with a modification from another vendor for almost a year.

But the money spent will most likely be close to what a step up to a Redline would cost you.

Just my 2 cents, I am sure others will have ideas
44thSKY, Emmett and Amorget like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
Looking for a little more HP on a budget.
As skersfan said, there isn't much you can do to a 2.4 other than a turbo or supercharger that will get you an increase in horsepower. A tune will only get you a very modest increase in the mid-range, but not in overall horsepower.

With what a turbo or supercharger is going to cost you, you might as well move up to a GXP and end up in about the same place.

Emmett likes this.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
There is no way to effectively add power to a 2.4 on a budget. You really have to ask yourself if more power is that important to you, because the most effective way to add power is to replace the whole car with a RedLine.

That said, I have a 2.4 and a RL, drive them both and enjoy them both, and if I had to part with one of them it would be the RL.
Emmett likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
JohnWR, just curious, what do you find about the NA that is superior to the Redline. I have two NA's and two Redlines and then the morf Mallett. I would choose my yellow Redline (when running right, well lets put it nearly stock) over any of the other three by a huge margin. Maybe less chance of getting you in trouble. Anyway just wondering.
Emmett likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:23 PM

My comment wasn't explicit enough, so your confusion is definitely justified.

I prefer my NA because of emotional reasons, and the added power of the RL isn't enough to overcome that. An additional factor is that the NAs seem to be more reliable, so I expect that i will be able to drive it longer with fewer repairs.

As far as "less chance of getting you in trouble", I have been stopped twice in the NA, once with a ticket and once not, although both were justified, against never in the RL. The RL also has stability control that the NA does not, and that has nearly been a factor a couple of times. So all things considered that isn't a consideration.

The NA handles just as well as the RL in my opinion, and within the limits of quasi-legal driving it is just a fast, except for acceleration. I find that the slightly more compliant suspension actually makes it easier to drive fast over broken pavement. I have driven in, and led, many group runs in my NA and, except for my desire to stay within sight of the posted speed limits, have never heard complaints about slowing down the run.

Clearly if the ability to accelerate is a significant requirement you will never be happy with an NA. It isn't for me, so I can be.
Emmett likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with skyersfan, DaveOC and JohnWR. I phrase it differently.

There's one thing that is sure to make you fall out of love with your car.

A service engine light that won't go away - and keeps you from smogging your car with the DMV.

I recommend staying with GM stock parts.

Don't even put on a cold intake.

If you put on a tune and your car service-engine-lights you're on your own and your car is junk.

If you want a faster car get a faster car.

There is nothing bad with staying with a NA. Consider putting on dual RL dual exhaust - at least your car will sound cool. (more cool)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
There is nothing bad with staying with a NA. Consider putting on dual RL dual exhaust - at least your car will sound cool. (more cool)
Does it? I have a RL and have always thought that this car didn't really sound all that great. The only redeeming factor is the sound of the turbo--but every other sound from under the hood just makes it sound broken, and the exhaust, eh. Thankfully the nice handling and the performance more than make up for the sound.

The dual exhaust does look better, though.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Does it? I have a RL and have always thought that this car didn't really sound all that great. The only redeeming factor is the sound of the turbo--but every other sound from under the hood just makes it sound broken, and the exhaust, eh. Thankfully the nice handling and the performance more than make up for the sound.

I have a RL exhaust on my NA and really like it.

The RL with the RL exhaust sounds (exhaust-wise) about the same as an NA with an NA exhaust, but the RL exhaust is quite a bit more open, due to the muffling effect of the turbo. Because of that, the RL exhaust on an NA gives it just enough "throat" to be interesting without being obnoxious. You also get a very cool crackling "back-talk" when decelerating under certain conditions.

John
Lexington, KY
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post

I agree with JohnWR when he writes:

> Because of that, the RL exhaust on an NA gives it just enough "throat" to be interesting without being obnoxious. <

I have an an automatic - so I haven't experienced the back-talk crackle he refers to though.

What I like most about the RL exhaust is how the car sounds when I turn on the key. It says performance.

For me - I wasn't happy with the handling of my NA until after I installed the DDMWorks backbone, probeam and swaybars.

Now the car handles pot holes much better, feels more solid. Especially at 90MPG.

Best of all, I like the 'no-boat' 'no-lag' feel changing lanes on the freeway. It feels responsive like an expensive sports car.

Eh. The RL guys have have the enhanced factory suspension package - and get better handling already from GM.

Last edited by Emmett; 03-31-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Our two Kappas are a NA SKY with Redline exhaust as the only change from stock. My GXP is an all stock Coupe, thus with a pretty substantial hearing loss I probably don't hear what others hear.

I like my NA a lot and it is original except the exhaust. On the freeway, at traffic speeds of 75mph, I'd like it to move a bit faster when changing lanes and getting away from a cluster of traffic. I don't have the bracing, but really don't know that I can justify the effort and expense with the type of use we put the car through. (not thirsty for twisty's runs, and the other half objects to them)

Our GXP exhaust isn't heard too much in the coupe with the Targa top on most of the time. The GXP meets my expectations on the freeway where the NA is a little deficient. The long range plan for both cars are two of the oldest children are inline for them.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
I tried both versions. The handling on the NA struck me as too soft (the turbo version has stiffer settings but it also had a flaw - a mid-corner spot where it seemed to grasp for adhesion). Doing the suspension stiffeners on the turbo car I bought made a huge improvement. I can forgive GM for going with softer settings as that is what the majority of drivers will want. I don't forgive them for building an inherently weak rear suspension that requires an expensive (for the GM ite at least) package to put right so that the frame is strong enough to take hard driving.

My advice to potential buyers is always to drive both versions before buying a car to find out if the power is a make or break decision making factor for you. I agree that if you want more power out of an NA you should just sell it and buy the turbo car.

I usually would go for power, but not always. I have a couple of old British cars, one a street version and the other a race car with double the power. I am quite happy puttering around in the lower powered car on the street, and I can understand John, apart from any emotional attachment, being happy with the lower powered car as a fun runabout.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:12 PM

I have the DDM ProBeam on the NA, and will put one on the RL this spring, before I take it to New York. At $185 it is the single best upgrade I think anyone can make to either car.
I tried a BackBone on the NA and thought it reduced my control on broken pavement more than it enhanced it on smooth pavement, so I took it back off.

John
Lexington, KY
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I have the DDM ProBeam on the NA, and will put one on the RL this spring, before I take it to New York. At $185 it is the single best upgrade I think anyone can make to either car.
Yes, the difference isn't subtle! But what do you think of a company that does a half job on suspension development and then figures that no one will notice the shortcomings and it would cost them money to improve it, so they just ignore it. But then it was the same company that foisted the first generation Corvair on the public (and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as that twit Nader made it out to be).

Maybe I am over rating the flaws, but it was so obvious to me the first time I drove the car hard it seems hard to believe that someone at GM didn't twig to it. Maybe they did, suggested a change and were nixed by the bean-counters - who knows?

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks for all the input, car was free so there wasn't a chance of driving an RL to see the difference, inside the backbone and loved the difference, guess ill put an exhaust in it and enjoy it for a while.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in