Cheapest upgrade for NA 2.4 hp increase - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Maybe I am over rating the flaws, but it was so obvious to me the first time I drove the car hard it seems hard to believe that someone at GM didn't twig to it. Maybe they did, suggested a change and were nixed by the bean-counters - who knows?
It's been a while since I've thought about this, but wasn't there a replacement rear suspension member that was part of the full Z0K setup that effectively does the same job as the ProBeam? My point being that someone at GM likely thought of it and somewhere along the line, it was removed from the stock production car.

In the past I've been really impressed by GM's engineering compared to other automakers, but they are often let down by a bunch of clowns in both their marketing and accounting departments.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Garage
Oh yes, they recognized the weakness in the design and rectified it for competition cars with a rather expensive kit that does what the DDM Probeam does but for significantly less money.

See https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ro-beam-65529/

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
Looking for a little more HP on a budget.
I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. Depending on what you paid for your NA and what Redlines are going for in your area, you may or may not find it cheaper to sell your car and go get a Redline. Nothing I talk about below will give you any more power than a stock Redline. As a matter of fact, none of it will even get you close.

That said, there are some things you can do to eek out a little more power.

First is a muffler swap. You can go with the Magnaflow muffler designed for the 2002 Camaros and put it in keeping your stock piping. Our stock exhaust piping is actually pretty good. You will need a exhaust shop to weld it up and you can, if you want, add a second outlet to it. For inexpensive though, just keep your single outlet and have the muffler shop weld up that tip to the new muffler. You may get about 5-10 whp out of this.

Cold Air Intakes. You will actually lose a little whp with this one...with the GMPP intake I saw a 1 whp drop for peak wheel horsepower. HOWEVER, you will pick up power in the low to mid ranges and this really is worth the 1whp drop at peak. You'll never miss that but you'll like the pickup you get when you get on the throttle to pass someone or accelerate out of a corner.

High Flow Cat or Catless downpipe. IF you're in CA and don't want check engine lights, ignore this one. You may pick up 5-10 whp here too if you go this route.

Tune. This is going to pick you up the most power but it probably will cost the most as a single item. Figure about 10-15 whp increase with a tune.

Tune and injectors. I list this separately just because you can't do injectors without a tune but you can do a tune with injectors. The stock 2.4 injectors are very small. They are the same sized used on the 2.2 liter. They are 24lb injectors. You can upgrade these injectors to 36lb units and then a tune. RPM (who sells the kit for this) has seen as high as a 26 whp increase doing this, a catless downpipe and intake.

All that combined will cost you at close to half way to a turbo kit yet you're going to only improve 30-35 whp. (Injectors and tune with downpipe and CAI is almost $1,000. Figure another $400 for a muffler installed by a shop) That will take you from about 135 whp stock (the 2.4 is rated at 177 at the crank but dynos about 135 at the wheels) to about 165-170 at the wheels. A stock Redline dynos around 225-235 at the wheels. The RPM K04 turbo kit ($3100) will take you to 225-235. The Stage II kit with the upgraded K04 ($3700) will take you to where tuned Redlines usually sit at (270-280 whp).

So the question is what do you consider cheap and what are your expectations? If you got your 2.4 for under $3-5k, then putting a turbo on it may be cheaper than going out and buying a stock Redline. If you're not wanting Redline power, then a muffler and intake may wake up the mid range enough for you. You may not want the hassle of upgrading things and going with a Redline might suit you more.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 04-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Garage
Robo - couple of things.

Is there any dyno evidence that a muffler swap shows any increase on a dyno?

Is there any evidence that the size of the stock injectors limits output - in other words are they maxxed out and starving the engine at full throttle at any point? If not, you can triple the size of the injectors and all it will do is ruin you idle when they can't shut down enough at idle.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Robo - couple of things.

Is there any dyno evidence that a muffler swap shows any increase on a dyno?

Kinda. Our stock exhaust on the 2.4 is 2.5". The exhaust on the MagnaFlow 2.5" is well, 2.5". The routing of the stock exhaust and the MagnaFlow exhaust is identical until you get towards the muffler because of where the muffler inputs are on each. When I talked to MagnaFlow when they were designing the exhaust on my first Sky, they told me directly there is NO performance improvement from the exhaust piping itself because the stock exhaust is really well designed to begin with. It's relatively straight and the shallow bends it does have are not crush bends. Thus the 7-8 WHP my car picked up on their Dyno (with no other mods) was all from their muffler.

So while my exhaust was a complete exhaust, I'll take MagnaFlows word for it that changing the muffler is where the gains were picked up.

Quote:
Is there any evidence that the size of the stock injectors limits output - in other words are they maxxed out and starving the engine at full throttle at any point? If not, you can triple the size of the injectors and all it will do is ruin you idle when they can't shut down enough at idle.
I do not have any but this is something that has been around the Ecotec world for sometime. You don't hear it much in the Kappa platform, but the Cobalt guys swear by it and my understanding is that those who race Ecotecs in other platforms (they're hugely popular in the off road world) have dyno'd and seen a power increase with the larger injectors. Huge? No, but nothing short of NOS, a turbo or a supercharger is going to be huge.

With the factory tune the injectors are, for all intents and purposes, maxed out. The engine isn't starving for fuel, but it's not running ideal mixtures at WOT either. If you do things to increase the engine's efficiency...exhaust and down pipe will do that...then you make the problem worse. By increasing the injectors and retuning the engine to optimize fueling (and now richen up fueling on WOT so its running a mixture it should be running) you can get more power. Is it worth the cost? That's up to the individual. I decided to turbo the car and run appropriate injectors for that rather than tweaking the NA variant.

36lb injectors won't cause idle issues. I've been told even going up as high as 60lb you can still tune idle (42s are usually used for turbo builds with low boost levels...60 lbs for higher boost levels) on the OEM fuel system. The issue with idle is why I went with a return style boost referenced fuel system instead. At idle, when the engine is under vacuum, fuel pressure is lowered so that the injectors can run low enough at idle without issue. When I run my 80lb injectors in my new setup, this will be a requirement (and is why I did it). Also, when I'm on boost, the fuel pressure will increase at a direct proportion to boost so that relative fuel pressure between the rail and intake will remain the same and I don't have to run larger injectors to make up for a loss of fuel pressure.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a spare factory exhaust i could chop up to put a new muffler on. Just hard to find the "note" i really like.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in