Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Saturn Sky Performance Discussion (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Factory chip upgrades? (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/factory-chip-upgrades-94431/)

Need4Speed2 10-14-2018 01:38 PM

Factory chip upgrades?
 
Hi all, I am the proud new owner of an 08 with 49k miles.
A friend of mine said I can get a 'factory upgrade chip, they sell various stages'.
Is this true?
What is the process?
What is the cost?

Thanks,

Keith

DaveOC 10-14-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 (Post 1286611)
Hi all, I am the proud new owner of an 08 with 49k miles.
A friend of mine said I can get a 'factory upgrade chip, they sell various stages'.
Is this true?
What is the process?
What is the cost?

Thanks,

Keith

Welcome to the forum.

There is only 1 "Factory" upgrade, which is a tune for the Electronic Control Module (ECM), not a chip. About $800 includes a couple of update sensors and the tune file and installation via a GM dealer. Warranted for 12 months/12,000 miles if installed by a GM dealer.

There are other tunes by other vendors, search the forum for "tunes".

This is only for the GXP turbo model.

I'm sure others will weigh in on the subject.

:thumbs:

.

Need4Speed2 10-14-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveOC (Post 1286613)
Welcome to the forum.

This is only for the GXP turbo model.

.

Thank you.
I don't think I have the GXP turbo model..........

DaveOC 10-14-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 (Post 1286615)
Thank you.
I don't think I have the GXP turbo model..........

I spend time on both the Solstice and Sky forums, sometimes I forget which one I'm on. Checked your sig and see you have the Redline Turbo Model. Info is still good! Check out the Trifecta Budget Tune, for $200 it's pretty good, so I have heard.

:thumbs:

.

Need4Speed2 10-14-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveOC (Post 1286625)
I spend time on both the Solstice and Sky forums, sometimes I forget which one I'm on. Checked your sig and see you have the Redline Turbo Model. Info is still good! Check out the Trifecta Budget Tune, for $200 it's pretty good, so I have heard.

:thumbs:

.

Thank you Dave. I checked Trifecta's site and the tune is priced at $400. What is the Budget Tune and how does it differ with the $400 tune?

Thanks,

Keith

DaveOC 10-14-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 (Post 1286629)
Thank you Dave. I checked Trifecta's site and the tune is priced at $400. What is the Budget Tune and how does it differ with the $400 tune?

Thanks,

Keith

The budget tune is a canned tune, not custom as is the regular tune. It is a checkbox on the order form and drops the price to $200.

Since mine is an NA, I don't have a tune and don't know this stuff from an experiential perspective.

YMMV

:thumbs:

.

skersfan 10-14-2018 07:56 PM

If you plan to make modifications to the car, IE, intercooler, intake, high flow cat, Solo or Magnaflow exhaust. Just buy the canned tune for 200.00. You don't need any more. It makes more horsepower than the GM tune, and the warranty is gone on your car so paying the extra money for it is not really worth it.

If you are going to make serious modifications then the custom tune will be needed. Speaking from experience I would just do the list in the first paragraph and do the budget tune. You will be very happy.

No real need for the intercooler upgrade either. Charge tubes and CAI if you want it to look pretty and make more noise. The only benfit of the two.

44thSKY 10-15-2018 06:21 PM

Good explanation and very clear on the difference of the two Trifecta choices. And for those inclined, unless the advanced equipment is planned, the budget tune does the job...... the way I understand it. :thumbs:

Need4Speed2 10-15-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveOC (Post 1286631)
The budget tune is a canned tune, not custom as is the regular tune. It is a checkbox on the order form and drops the price to $200.

Since mine is an NA, I don't have a tune and don't know this stuff from an experiential perspective.

YMMV

:thumbs:

.

Gotcha! Thanks.

skersfan 10-16-2018 05:03 PM

Are you coming to the Palm Springs run, will be a lot of cars with the canned tune to see or maybe drive to get a real idea.

Need4Speed2 10-16-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skersfan (Post 1286727)
Are you coming to the Palm Springs run, will be a lot of cars with the canned tune to see or maybe drive to get a real idea.

Ow, not this time. Wish there was one closer.

Need4Speed2 10-16-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skersfan (Post 1286635)
If you plan to make modifications to the car, IE, intercooler, intake, high flow cat, Solo or Magnaflow exhaust. Just buy the canned tune for 200.00. You don't need any more. It makes more horsepower than the GM tune, and the warranty is gone on your car so paying the extra money for it is not really worth it.

If you are going to make serious modifications then the custom tune will be needed. Speaking from experience I would just do the list in the first paragraph and do the budget tune. You will be very happy.

No real need for the intercooler upgrade either. Charge tubes and CAI if you want it to look pretty and make more noise. The only benfit of the two.

Huh. That's an idea. Will a mental tech midget like myself be able to load it easily?
Thanks!

Amorget 10-16-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 (Post 1286743)
Huh. That's an idea. Will a mental tech midget like myself be able to load it easily?
Thanks!

Do you have a laptop?

Read this thread for a fair number of people's experience: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...et-tune-94319/

skersfan 10-17-2018 12:57 AM

I will be honest and tell you I didn't load mine. I have an IT employee that did it for me. But he told me I could have done it. Just my baby and didn't want to do anything wrong. The budget tune is the most bang for the buck you are going to see by far. Get the cat, the braces, and for looks the GMPP CAI. The car will come alive it seems. Not that there bad without it, but did make it more fun.

Rob the Elder 10-17-2018 01:11 PM

Loading a tune is very straightforward. I have done it multiple times. You need a cable to connect your laptop to the OBD port and the software running on your laptop. Its pretty much automatic and idiot proof. A little scary the first time but it becomes routine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome