Finally The Skpel is running - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:38 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgassor View Post
Hopefully see you tomorrow morning where I will lay on my usual level of verbal abuse to try and take you mind off this
What a good friend you are! That ought to relieve his stress level a bit.

Bob, hoping that you get it running well tonight!

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
What a good friend you are! That ought to relieve his stress level a bit.

Bob, hoping that you get it running well tonight!

That's my job, and if I was not acting accordingly, Bob would be highly suspicious

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta and DDM bracing
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Garage
We're always highly suspicious of you Gassor. LOL
44thSKY and jgassor like this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Wish I was closer but I am other coast side of the US.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Garage
Well, it seems, might be possible, things could have changed, terror may have eased, the possibility that the car may actually run. Robo came out today and we drove it around town and on the freeway. Not a single hickup/burp/cough or sound that should not be heard. I am still worried about it, but it actually seemed to run similar to it did before we started this nightmare a year ago. Still have the check engine light on, but Robo thinks it can be corrected now with the next tune. I will say that for the 4K plus I have in messing with this, it certainly is not a whole lot better than the base Trifecta tune. Maybe more noise, and a drone sound that I absolutely hate, but it is running. Still putting a lot of fuel thru that is not being burnt. Black soot all over the back again today.

I hope to have a better idea next weekend if a new tune comes in. Again thanks to Dave Gilbert of PAWfor working with me on this, without his help I would have the same car I arrived at the National with. Barely ran, popped and banged and hickupped every time you stepped on the gas. I must also thank Rob the Elder for getting me in touch with Dave. After today I actually look forward to driving the car the next time. It has been a very long year, with frustration at almost every level. Had actually talked about selling the car, but did not want to be concerned about what the next person would go thru.
ChopTop likes this.
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh and Thank you's go especially to Robotech, with out his help on this and his constant support nothing would have happened. Thank you Troy, a true friend when I really needed one. I love this car, and you keep making me realize just how much I do. And one other, who never has read this forum, Curtis my mechanic, who has worked so many hours trying to figure out how to do the installation on his own, with virtually no support from the vendor, to correct every detail that was omitted and there were many. I love him like he is my son. Thank you guys for all your efforts on this nightmare. And to Elf for his comments and information about the system and problems he had. Without some of his positive comments I would have given up.
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Woot

Glad to hear it.

If you could get some higher octane fuel, or some type of Octane adder, you will wake that turbo up. It really needs at least 93 to command the proper timing and boost, and if you go higher, it gets even more impressive.

For now though, keep with the reliability and make small changes

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
First thing....On the Solo Hiflo cat. Did it come with the O2 extender when you purchased it. From what I know that should cause the Hi flow cat code to go away.

The thing that really struck me though was the issues with the PCV system.

Mine broke off the plastic portion at the plastic intake literally right after I purchased it. I then took the the tube from the valve cover off and put a filter on the end of that elbow (the metal elbow that comes off of the valve cover). It's been that way the entire time I've owned the car and (knock on wood) I've never had an issue. It's gotten a few oil changes...no issue....Had the trifecta done and have beat on it....and have a number of track runs with a 13.6 at 102 at the 1/4 on it.... I still have not had issues. When I say that I mean that there is no oil blowing anywhere or anything like that.

The only folks I've ever seen that have issues when positive crankcase pressure (blowing oil) are people who try to go the catch can route. That's just in my experience.
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Oh and Thank you's go especially to Robotech, with out his help on this and his constant support nothing would have happened. Thank you Troy, a true friend when I really needed one. I love this car, and you keep making me realize just how much I do. And one other, who never has read this forum, Curtis my mechanic, who has worked so many hours trying to figure out how to do the installation on his own, with virtually no support from the vendor, to correct every detail that was omitted and there were many. I love him like he is my son. Thank you guys for all your efforts on this nightmare. And to Elf for his comments and information about the system and problems he had. Without some of his positive comments I would have given up.
My pleasure sir. You have helped me countless times as well. Glad to be there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Woot

Glad to hear it.

If you could get some higher octane fuel, or some type of Octane adder, you will wake that turbo up. It really needs at least 93 to command the proper timing and boost, and if you go higher, it gets even more impressive.

For now though, keep with the reliability and make small changes
We'd be thrilled to have 93 locally. 91 is all we got. For octane boosters, the only one I've seen make a difference is the NOS brand additive. Used it in my Grand Prix once on top of 91 octane when I didn't have access to race fuel and it allowed me to run 3 degrees more timing KR free. We could, in theory, make an E45 blend or go straight E85 but there aren't many E85 stations around here yet and the pain of blending and tuning for that blend would be a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
First thing....On the Solo Hiflo cat. Did it come with the O2 extender when you purchased it. From what I know that should cause the Hi flow cat code to go away.
No O2 code now. The only error he is getting now is a P0103 error...MAF circuit high.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
My pleasure sir. You have helped me countless times as well. Glad to be there for you.

We'd be thrilled to have 93 locally. 91 is all we got. For octane boosters, the only one I've seen make a difference is the NOS brand additive. Used it in my Grand Prix once on top of 91 octane when I didn't have access to race fuel and it allowed me to run 3 degrees more timing KR free. We could, in theory, make an E45 blend or go straight E85 but there aren't many E85 stations around here yet and the pain of blending and tuning for that blend would be a hassle.

No O2 code now. The only error he is getting now is a P0103 error...MAF circuit high.
What about the issue he is having regarding the pressurized crankcase blowing oil?

I'm telling you guys I did NOTHING but take that PCV hose off from the intake to the valve cover and just add an old school filter and I have not (again knock on wood) had any issues with oil spewing out anywhere.

Does anyone have a theory for why I can get away with that but he can't with a catch can installed?
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
What about the issue he is having regarding the pressurized crankcase blowing oil?

I'm telling you guys I did NOTHING but take that PCV hose off from the intake to the valve cover and just add an old school filter and I have not (again knock on wood) had any issues with oil spewing out anywhere.

Does anyone have a theory for why I can get away with that but he can't with a catch can installed?
Routing the line back to stock seemed to resolve that. Don't think it's been a problem since.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That was one of the first thing we tried actually. Seemed to work for awhile, then started coming thru the filter. I am a freak about clean engine bays. That was not going to work. I think we crossed that problem off a few months ago.

Now the car seems to run fine, still fuel residue on the back of it. Only one code and Robo seems to think it can befixed with the next tune from Dave.

I also have a break swith code coming, but I would guess that is because of the light bar from Norm we installed. Just need to spend some time to figure it out.

Passenger air bag light is not working, and the car has had the upgrade. Once I get the check engine light out, I will take it by the dealership and have them do what can be done. I don't think they have any more cushions.
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
.........Passenger air bag light is not working, and the car has had the upgrade. Once I get the check engine light out, I will take it by the dealership and have them do what can be done. I don't think they have any more cushions.
What is the symptom of the light not working?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Now the car seems to run fine, still fuel residue on the back of it. Only one code and Robo seems to think it can befixed with the next tune from Dave.
Dave says the code is because your three bar MAP isn't quite up to reading the 29-30 psi you're making KR free (a three bar should read up to 29.4 psi but if you're right there it may throw this code). Scan he said looks good. He sent me another tune that's going to lower the boost a bit and see if that doesn't clear up the P0103 code.

Fuel residue is going to be from the richer mixture that is providing this kind of power.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
skersfan, just saying ...... I think it was JohnWR that detailed how to get the cover off the airbag status light and check the connection. That was a couple years back when I did that.

I found the wire was NOT plugged into the lamp, just laying there doing nothing. Plugged it in and the airbag status was as expected and never failed to work thereafter.

Have no idea why it was that way, but that was the way it was when I bought the car in 2011.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in