First start of the forged LE5 Flex Fuel - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
First start of the forged LE5 Flex Fuel

So the engine is in the car and it lives! A short running video:

First start of the built engine in my Saturn Sky

So the good first:

She fires right up and the idle is strong. Boost controller is reading a solid -15 in/mercury at idle. Before she would jump around from -14 to -6 and I could never find where the leak was. Still don't know where it was but it's gone now. I had to rev the motor to make sure the eBoost2 was actually reading. It is!

The flex fuel sensor is in too. I haven't turned it on yet because I want to get it tuned with 91 octane first. Once that's done I will turn on the flex fuel sensor and see what happens from there.

Of course no fluid leaks either so that's a good thing.

There is some bad though:

The Engine Coolant Sensor wiring is not happy. With my first setup the turbo had gotten really hot and melted the wirings for the sensor. Sensor still worked and the plug was okay but the wiring looked sketchy. Not listening to the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I rewired a new pigtail into the harness to "fix" the damage. Now the coolant temp is all over the place and sometimes doesn't read at all. So I have to tear back into the loom and fix it...again... At least this time it IS broke.

There is also a bit of air still in the coolant but we're getting that addressed. The block and radiator were completely dry so I expected this to be a bear. It is.

Finally I am waiting on an adaptor pig tail for the new MAP sensor. Apparently the 06-07 cars have a different MAP than later cars. Got to love that first year build quirkiness. That should be here tomorrow.

After all this, it's time to flash the new tune on the car (it's running this well even though the new injectors haven't been added to the tune...I'm running 80# injectors over the 60# injectors I had). I'll be setting the boost controller to run the turbo off spring pressure and then working with PAW to finalize the tune and get boost up to where it needs to be. Once the 91 gasoline tune is dialed in it's time to work the flex fuel part of the tune. Hope to start doing that in December.

Still a ways to go but I really can't wait to get her on the road now. Wish the shop I was doing this at was closer so I could work on it during the week but is what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_125535.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	105903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_121421.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	105905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_121404.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	105907  

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Garage
Best of Luck! This is all above my pay grade but I do see the oil dip stick....I can do oil changes if needed.
skersfan, jgassor and Draike13 like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! I love reading all of your posts even though most of it is over my head!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Best of Luck! This is all above my pay grade but I do see the oil dip stick....I can do oil changes if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopSky View Post
Congrats! I love reading all of your posts even though most of it is over my head!
Thanks guys. If this thing runs like it idles, it's going to be a beast. Of course, still have to work out the above issues, put the tune on, break it in (though we did do the start up, bring up to temp, and drain the start up oil already), then dial in the first tune so I'm guessing end of November she'll be 100% on 91. If you have any questions though CoopSky, I'm always happy to answer. (Might wind up being a short novel for the answer but...) LOL
CoopSky likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Thanks guys. If this thing runs like it idles, it's going to be a beast. Of course, still have to work out the above issues, put the tune on, break it in (though we did do the start up, bring up to temp, and drain the start up oil already), then dial in the first tune so I'm guessing end of November she'll be 100% on 91. If you have any questions though CoopSky, I'm always happy to answer. (Might wind up being a short novel for the answer but...) LOL
Guess your car will not be ready for the first car show in FT Myers, Fl. this Sunday...perhaps next year, ya think?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hey Robo,

I have been keeping up with these forums for a couple years now, and in all honesty, I don’t think I would have even bought a sky if it wasn’t for you and some of the others that are always so dependable on answering everyone’s questions. I totally appreciate your guy’s experience and helpfulness. Good luck with it, hopefully she comes out working like a finely tuned machine!!! Great pics, always curious to see what kind of a machine you guys are putting together.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Guess your car will not be ready for the first car show in FT Myers, Fl. this Sunday...perhaps next year, ya think?

Yeaaaaaa...gonna be a hard pass on this one this year. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygazer121 View Post
Hey Robo,

I have been keeping up with these forums for a couple years now, and in all honesty, I don’t think I would have even bought a sky if it wasn’t for you and some of the others that are always so dependable on answering everyone’s questions. I totally appreciate your guy’s experience and helpfulness. Good luck with it, hopefully she comes out working like a finely tuned machine!!! Great pics, always curious to see what kind of a machine you guys are putting together.
Thanks Skygazer. Believe me, I know just enough to be dangerous with a wrench. There are a number here who remember this stuff better than I do but I do my best. Means a lot though that we've made an impact.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations man!

Sounds like those issues are easily sortable. Im excited to see how it performs on the corn (im sure you cant wait.. lol), i only wish i were around CA so i could check it out!

What kind of power you looking to put down once its all said and done?

Pat
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattsullivan View Post
Congratulations man!

Sounds like those issues are easily sortable. Im excited to see how it performs on the corn (im sure you cant wait.. lol), i only wish i were around CA so i could check it out!

What kind of power you looking to put down once its all said and done?
I'm hoping for 450whp on 91 and 500whp on E85. I am so close yet feels like so far. I won't even be able to work on it this weekend.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Well done Robo!

But once you have finished all the hard fixes and completed the tune, would you PLEASE revisit the clashing mish-mash of colors under the hood?

Maybe just stick to the orange and grey?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Well done Robo!

But once you have finished all the hard fixes and completed the tune, would you PLEASE revisit the clashing mish-mash of colors under the hood?

Maybe just stick to the orange and grey?

LOL believe me that's on my list. Not sure what I'm going to do with the charge pipes and intake but I have some ideas kicking around. Then part of me kind of likes the look of all that. So who knows what I'm going to do. LOL

You're right though, getting it mechanically sorted is my first order of business.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations, huge milestone!

RKSport Hood
DDM I/C Pipes, OCC, Shifter Kit, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolts, trunk/hood lights
Werks I/C, Rad, Backbone & Swaybars
reBar
K&N CAI
MF Catback
Solo Race Pipe
3bar MAP w/ ZZP Tune
Windrestrictor & Lit Sills
Quaife Diff
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Today we got her on the road but not finished. We have been trying to bleed the coolant and getting nowhere. Today we finally traced it to the thermostat Brand new thermostat bad out of the box. Uhg Got that sorted but found the clutch to be out of adjustment (PAW adjustable master cyl. on the car) and had a hell of a time driving it with the engagement point so far off the floor. Got that adjusted and it was just a matter of getting used to the lightweight flywheel and new clutch. That didn't take long and the car felt good.

Tune is super rich across the board but now we can sort that out. Hard to start it and runs so fat it almost shuts off when decelerating. The rest, however, felt good. About 15 miles on it today for shake down and troubleshooting. Ever so closer.
Robert Neighbours likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post

There is also a bit of air still in the coolant but we're getting that addressed. The block and radiator were completely dry so I expected this to be a bear. It is.
Get the vacuum fill tool, suck the air out, and fill. If you start with a vacuum you can't end up with air in the system.

2008 Red Line
D30 Override red on red
Three pedals
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
K04 Big Wheel Turbo
Solo Street Race exhaust
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
I am hoping you guys wrap that thing up this week end. I would like to get started on mine. But I still don't have the radiator yet. So guess we are going to wait until it gets here. Been close to three weeks now.

It was kind of neat seeing your car with the hood on it. I had forgotten what it looked like. lol

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in