Saturn Sky Forum banner

Has anyone converted a sky to a 3.6 v6?

13K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Jim-Grimm 
#1 ·
I bought my son a Camaro 3.6 v6 with the 323 hp v6 engine. it runs quite well. I know many people are doing swaps. I was wondering if anyone has put in the 3.6 v6 as a swap. Seems to me, it would be a great way to get an extra 146 hp without all the mods to chassis and its a lower weight than the LS engine swaps. I was thinking it could be done with just putting in a rear end stabilizer and maybe still use the 5 speed with adapter plate or the 6 speed. does anyone have any info on this swap? a 323 hp sky 6 speed would be quite fun and still get around 26 to 30 mpg. could be a nice quiet sleeper. what do you guys think?

#4 ·
Hello Jim-Grimm, I have been thinking about this for a long time. This makes sense to me, lighter then a V8. In 2014 or 15 Cadillac had a V6 with twin turbos that put out 425 HP. This is what I want to do when I have the extra cash. I remember talking to one of the engineers at the Boxwood plant in Delaware, (where our cars were built) and I asked him when they were going to put a V6 in our cars, he said they weren't that the car was designed around a I-4.

"The Sky's The Limit"

:patriot:

#5 · (Edited)
IMHO it makes little sense to go through the expense of an engine swap when you will only end up with the power of a mildly tuned original 4 cylinder engine.

If you are looking to head North of 450-500 bhp, then it starts to make more sense, but the exercise will cost about the same as a V8 swap - maybe more as that route is very well known and sorted while you'd have to solve whole new issues with new engine (V6).

The new V6 is certainly a nice engine, but it is a 60 deg. DOHC V6 so much wider up top than the I4 and possibly than the 90 deg. LS V8. Perhaps someone that knows these engines can comment on that and whether it poses any new challenges.

But even if it didn't, you'd be spending a whack of dough for an extra 45 bhp over the stock LNF engine with GMPP tune. And the 4 cylinder would still have more torque at lower rpm than the Camaro engine offers (340 Tq vs 284 Tq).

The distance between the small turbo I4s and the V8s has shrunk so much that there really isn't a lot of incentive to use a V6 instead of going to the V8.

Now if they hadn't cancelled the prototyping of a pair of these engines on a joined crankshaft to make a 600 bhp V12 (design work done in Australia) it might get pretty interesting, but I'm not sure where the front of an engine like that would end up in a Kappa. (OTOH, the have done Toyota 2JZ straight 6 swaps on them and a V12 needn't be that much longer than a straight 6....)

#6 ·
Funny thing is there are folks that have put 2JZ inline 6 engines in our cars so even that 6 cylinder swap would be more "practical" than trying to do this V6.

I've also heard that an LS aluminum block/head V8 doesn't add a whole lot of weight to the car...which I found very surprising and haven't verified.

With a GMPP tune, the LNF is rated at 290 bhp. To go up another 33 bhp with an engine swap wouldn't be worth it to me unless the potential of the V6 to make a LOT more power is there. Nevermind that many folks using different tunes than the GMPP tune are getting even higher bhp numbers on otherwise stock engines would make this solution even less attractive.

#8 ·
I wonder why - must be the cam choices etc. Should be able to make a stormer out of one - they had a 400 bhp+ version in a Caddie.

When I was doing Fieros instead of Solstice, the one that always tweaked my imagination was the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam V6. Sadly, they detuned it as they didn't have any FWD transaxles that would have taken much higher output. The prototypes had been around 270 bhp and tuning or adding a turbo got them well into the high 300s

And in a Fiero

Attachments

#10 ·
I was looking for a non-turbo option. I'm not a fan of turbo charging. Supercharger might be interesting. I like the fact that simple all engine is a longer lasting less problem causing solution. I'm not taking it to the drag strip or trying to race very car out on the road. I think it would be nice to have a 300hp plus package that could get around 30mpg and last a 100k miles with normal repairs. So that being said, I'm gonna stay with this I4 engine till it pucks. I only have 56k miles on it now. I don't for see any real problems until I'm over 150k. I have plenty of time to research a solution. I work in research and development for a major truck company and have my own shop. I put a 350ci in a triumph spit fire back in the 90's. I know its a lot different now than the old carb models. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it. how it worked out and was it worth it.

#14 ·
I was looking for a non-turbo option. I'm not a fan of turbo charging. Supercharger might be interesting. I like the fact that simple all engine is a longer lasting less problem causing solution. I'm not taking it to the drag strip or trying to race very car out on the road. I think it would be nice to have a 300hp plus package that could get around 30mpg and last a 100k miles with normal repairs. So that being said, I'm gonna stay with this I4 engine till it pucks. I only have 56k miles on it now. I don't for see any real problems until I'm over 150k. I have plenty of time to research a solution. I worrk in research and development for a major truck company and have my own shop. I put a 350ci in a triumph spit fire back in the 90's. I know its a lot different now than the old carb models. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it. how it worked out and was it worth it.
This type of swap has been suggested and discussed before.

You are going down a path that is little traveled. It took years to figure out how to do the LS swap. The mechanical issues are pretty straightforward. The tuning is not. Basically you will be forced to find someone with the right skills to write you custom code so you can interface the V6 with the car's electronics, or you will need to make it a stand alone power plant and delete ABS, traction control, stability control and any features baked into the car's software that depend on communicating with the ECM.

It has been done but again it is a real pain.

Building a car back in the 90s is significantly different than integrating a "modern" fly by wire platform. While I am sure you have skills, it took me close to 4 years to complete integration of am LS into my car and that is after the builder did his work and installed LS1 edit engine management software that interfaces well with the vehicle software.

I think people are offering their thoughts that
1) you can dial up as much HP as you want with the 2.0 and avoid huge problems.
2) you can follow a well blazed trail to install an LS and avoid huge problems
3) if you do proceed with the V6 option then the end result will be of questionable benefit and is a HUGE mountain to climb

#19 ·
Yes. Well, I did, but have removed it temporarily for reasons unrelated to the supercharger itself. I also have the MP62 version, and not the current Rotrex version.

Is it worth it? Also yes, but it may not be the most practical option. It depends on a lot of factors that are unique to everyone.

#21 ·
4 cyl vs v6 vs v8

Ok
I read all the reasons to not do the swap, so lets add some fuel to the fire... why leave it as a 4 cyl. I don't want a 4 banger. the v8 is a beast, fun to play with on Saturday night but, the wife can't drive it to the store to buy a loaf of bread. Also the finished weight of a v8 sky/solstice is almost as much as a Corvette. Been there done that
Reminds me of a late 60's Camaro 396/375. Work on it all week, out ran my buddies in their choice "street rod" so i could have bragging rights on Monday. Repeat,,, work on it the next week fixing what broke. You will break a v8 swapped Sky/Solstice if you drive it, they are not fun to drive daily and then you will want to get rid of it. (v8 conversions come up for sale, all with just a few miles on since the swap) A hot rodder worked out the software to make the v8 communicate properly with the gauges, so another one can make a v6 work. I want something that the ac works on and the engine still runs cool. I want something that the clutch works when I shift and I don't break the transmission. I don't want a car that the brakes, cooling system, shocks, rear end and most other stuff also have to be modified. I want one I can drive down the interstate for a 100 miles or so and not be beat to death. I want one I can drive to church on Sunday, if it was parked behind the wife's suv in the driveway. And speaking of the wife, a car She could go get me a six pack in and not come home mad cause I spent a bunch of $ on something she can not drive and hates to look at in the driveway. I think a v6 might work better. GM dropped the ball on this one too soon. A v6 was in the talk stage when word came down that the Pontiac division was being shut down.
I do know I, for on am going to try.... Used Solstice and Sky with bad engines (no, not with a quarter millions miles on them as suggested), but with 125-150,000 going for less that $4000. No not just one, I have found several local to my area. I guess I'm not on the same wave length as some guys are. I have done swaps like this before when people thought I was off my rocker, I guess I will try it again.

#22 ·
I have been every direction you comment about. Mallett with way too much horse power, but it never broke. But in honesty you are correct, I hated driving it. But the guy that bought it says his wife drives in all the time. Mine hated the car, but loved the look of it. I guess I am one of the few that actually bought a Mallett and made money on it. But was not a happier day than when it left to be honest.

I have two Redlines, one totally stock and nearly 80K on it. I bought it blown up because the guy who fixed it up left all the turbo ducts out of it. Put a new engine in it for 2K, bought the car for 2K and have another 1500 in it. Runs perfectly and is capable of playing with new Camaros and Super Snakes in the right circumstances, but not drag racing. I have a friend that drove a stock NA @Robotech and gave the 400 and 500 HP Carmaro and G8's a lot of trouble on Mullholland a couple of years back.

I have a wildly modified Redline, which I am taking apart, but it plays quite well with the new Camaro SS's, not only in the twisties but in drags to. But not dependable, too many codes and no once seems to be able to fix it. Going back to the stock Turbo and Trifecta tune and just drive it. It has 35K on it and it is my favorite car of all time. I have had tons of hot rods, and classic cars with small blocks, both Ford and Chevy. Big Block Vettes and Mopar. The best street racer I ever had was a 1970 LT1 Z28 with tubohydro 400 behind it.

Overall, my yellow Redline/Opel wantabe is with out doubt the most fun car I have ever owned, and it has an Automatic in it.

We also have Sky NA, that is really fun to drive in the twisties. The other half has a Redline and NA. For cruises she like the Redline, and for daily driving she likes the NA. All look very close to new, and get continuous questions about what are they, who makes them and are they a new design.

So some of your comments are 180 degrees from what I have experienced with ours over the last 5 years.

Wish you luck with your project, but feel you have never truly played with a Redline that has been minimally tweaked. They really are quite impressive for something 12 years old.

#23 ·
I'd agree with skersfan on this.

Find someone with a 350-400bhp redline and drive it first before you get too wound up on all the challenges with dropping in that v6.

skers would know better then me but I'd guess for $3k you could add around 100hp without too much drive ability or swap hassles.

#24 ·
I have been reading this thread here, following along with what our OP has in mind, the resulting
difference of opinions from our members here on this switch from the I-4 to a possible switch to a V6 and or the V8.

The Kappa base curb weight with the I-4 compared to the Camaro with the V6 curb weight? Big difference.
Adding a V6 to this base curb weight for the Kappa? Weight reduction to our Kappa before any engine change
might be the ticket. What are the heavy ass parts on our car that can be replaced? Carbon fiber is an option but is expensive.
By dropping this curb weight from our cars 100-300 lbs., could gain some added feel of extra power without changing the engine.
Hood/trunk lid, wheels, stock OEM parts could change the feel to our I-4 without any major engine modifications to our I-4 horsepower.

The I-6 ( BMW or the infamous 2jz supra motor: see U-Tube ) is an option and has been done. V6 is imo a little more difficult.
The 2.8 V6 from the old Fiero, to the 3.4 TDHC V6 of the GXP Grand Prix, The DOHC 3.0 Mitts. GT V6 is another that comes to mind.
The curb weights, between a two seat Fiero, and 4 seat Grand Prix to the 2+2 set up on the 3000GT.
Mid-engine light weight toy the plastic fantastic, to the Grand Tourer of a coupe. FWD compared to rear wheel drive.
I've had V8's before too, in the 340 Challenger, to the small block 301 Formula Firebird. Give me the light weight toy any day.
Both the Challenger and the GXP Grand Prix/ 3000GT Mits. were heavy cars. Lot more power, but heavy cars.
With the Fiero and the Firebird not so much. Go-kart feel, not a ton of horsepower, but still enough to stain your
underpants, if you push it. I've been well over 100( haven't we all ) in all of these cars.

Maxing out the performance of our motor imo is the way to go here. 340+ hsp. before any internal motor parts, are change
with reliability, without issues of trying to make a V6 work in our car. Light weight with loads more hsp, than OEM stock set up.
Adding a supercharger is an option, ( See Ricky D threads ) but even he has had headaches with it. Changing it to a V8 in the
need for more speed 200 mph club quest. IF you are going to change the internal motor parts, then the I-4 has more grunt, but
is still light weight compared to the V8 conversion.

Two different things, apples to oranges.. scary is good. Examples: Buddy of mine V8 Big block Chevelle, 396 loads of power.
Nothing like the roar of the 4 bbl carb in full song, the snarl, growl, the snap your head back to the seat rest of a V8. 100 comes quick here.
Still not as scary imo as the light weight Triumph Spitfire 1500 with a 2.7 Ford V6 in it. I had a talk with God here...

The Viper owners I talked to recently at a car show, said almost the same thing, power to weight ratio. The drag strip close
to the car show, they watch an 4 cylinder turbo, with 700 hsp, tear up the field of V8's. These guys have V-10's now, they know
about horsepower and weight. They told me, I'm not putting my heavy ass car up against the light weight rocket no matter
the circumstances. All that power, and still wishing for the light weight option with power.

Buy a dead motor Kappa, and start the project of a V6 in it. Weekend fun in the garage, couple buddies over for beers, Sat. afternoon
ball game on, tinkering with problems... or a working motor Kappa, that is being maxed out performance wise and still runs at the end of day.
Choice is up to you, and your checkbook of course. Luck with whatever you decide to do here.

LAC

#25 ·
Either do the old Supra engine or put a new Ford 3.5L ecoboost in it and tune it. I was told by my dyno tuner that he could get well over 500hp out of the 3.5L.... And funny thing...every employee at ZZP was driving a Ford 3.5L ecoboost....hmmmmm.....but yet they're a GM shop.

Tony had his 2.4L built to over 600hp IMSMC... I watched him destroy a Mustang GT500 one night.

#26 ·
Well, a bit of good news in my state. My county has done away with emissions inspection, and is now just safety inspection. My wife wants this Kappa as it is. She loves the color and it cruises very well. I think I will look for a repair model now. I can do what I want to it. Lighten it up and put what I want in it. Even use the computer and wiring from another car model to get around the programming if I want. I'll have to mull this over for awhile. My brother says the Caddy twin T would be unique. However, I'm still not a fan of turbo charging. Some people are and that's fine. Some like supercharging and that's fine. however I think a 2400 lbs. 300-325 hp. (Randy says we could get close to that on just an engine build up) model would be a balanced power to weight ratio Sky. Would be a nice performer. My brother thinks we should strip out all the electronic stuff, build an aluminum frame, large rotors and breaks, weld up a custom aluminum interior shell, integrate a nice triple role system with 4 point harness to get the weight to 2000 lbs. for a full race model. I want to drive it to work sometimes. to be fare. He and my brother in-law are big into racing. Road and dragstrip. I have been doing frame mods for them for over 20yrs. Doing the frame and suspension is a joke. No worries there. I just don't want to get beyond my goal of having a dependable 300-325 Saturn that looks all stock and performs beyond the curb. I really don't want to make a cart out of this car. But, the county dropping the emissions gives me more freedom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.