Has anyone converted a sky to a 3.6 v6? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone converted a sky to a 3.6 v6?

I bought my son a Camaro 3.6 v6 with the 323 hp v6 engine. it runs quite well. I know many people are doing swaps. I was wondering if anyone has put in the 3.6 v6 as a swap. Seems to me, it would be a great way to get an extra 146 hp without all the mods to chassis and its a lower weight than the LS engine swaps. I was thinking it could be done with just putting in a rear end stabilizer and maybe still use the 5 speed with adapter plate or the 6 speed. does anyone have any info on this swap? a 323 hp sky 6 speed would be quite fun and still get around 26 to 30 mpg. could be a nice quiet sleeper. what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
With the possibility of tuning an LNF to similar (or greater) power levels it doesn't really make much sense, except as an academic exercise.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:22 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Garage
I have seen a Solstice with a V6 that was done by Mallett...long time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hello Jim-Grimm, I have been thinking about this for a long time. This makes sense to me, lighter then a V8. In 2014 or 15 Cadillac had a V6 with twin turbos that put out 425 HP. This is what I want to do when I have the extra cash. I remember talking to one of the engineers at the Boxwood plant in Delaware, (where our cars were built) and I asked him when they were going to put a V6 in our cars, he said they weren't that the car was designed around a I-4.

"The Sky's The Limit"

(Ghost-Sky)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
IMHO it makes little sense to go through the expense of an engine swap when you will only end up with the power of a mildly tuned original 4 cylinder engine.

If you are looking to head North of 450-500 bhp, then it starts to make more sense, but the exercise will cost about the same as a V8 swap - maybe more as that route is very well known and sorted while you'd have to solve whole new issues with new engine (V6).

The new V6 is certainly a nice engine, but it is a 60 deg. DOHC V6 so much wider up top than the I4 and possibly than the 90 deg. LS V8. Perhaps someone that knows these engines can comment on that and whether it poses any new challenges.

But even if it didn't, you'd be spending a whack of dough for an extra 45 bhp over the stock LNF engine with GMPP tune. And the 4 cylinder would still have more torque at lower rpm than the Camaro engine offers (340 Tq vs 284 Tq).

The distance between the small turbo I4s and the V8s has shrunk so much that there really isn't a lot of incentive to use a V6 instead of going to the V8.

Now if they hadn't cancelled the prototyping of a pair of these engines on a joined crankshaft to make a 600 bhp V12 (design work done in Australia) it might get pretty interesting, but I'm not sure where the front of an engine like that would end up in a Kappa. (OTOH, the have done Toyota 2JZ straight 6 swaps on them and a V12 needn't be that much longer than a straight 6....)

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 08-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
Funny thing is there are folks that have put 2JZ inline 6 engines in our cars so even that 6 cylinder swap would be more "practical" than trying to do this V6.

I've also heard that an LS aluminum block/head V8 doesn't add a whole lot of weight to the car...which I found very surprising and haven't verified.

With a GMPP tune, the LNF is rated at 290 bhp. To go up another 33 bhp with an engine swap wouldn't be worth it to me unless the potential of the V6 to make a LOT more power is there. Nevermind that many folks using different tunes than the GMPP tune are getting even higher bhp numbers on otherwise stock engines would make this solution even less attractive.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Also, frankly, I've driven a few cars with this engine and it's a major snore-fest of a powerplant. A GM powertrain low point, IMHO. No idea why you would choose this over V8 if you're going to go through the trouble of a swap.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Also, frankly, I've driven a few cars with this engine and it's a major snore-fest of a powerplant. A GM powertrain low point, IMHO. No idea why you would choose this over V8 if you're going to go through the trouble of a swap.
I wonder why - must be the cam choices etc. Should be able to make a stormer out of one - they had a 400 bhp+ version in a Caddie.

When I was doing Fieros instead of Solstice, the one that always tweaked my imagination was the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam V6. Sadly, they detuned it as they didn't have any FWD transaxles that would have taken much higher output. The prototypes had been around 270 bhp and tuning or adding a turbo got them well into the high 300s

And in a Fiero
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81395706.Vo4aCVaB.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	105561  

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Also, frankly, I've driven a few cars with this engine and it's a major snore-fest of a powerplant. A GM powertrain low point, IMHO. ........
It is always difficult to compare engines (or tires, or ...) unless you can get them in the same or substantially equivalent vehicles.

John
Lexington, KY
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I was looking for a non-turbo option. I'm not a fan of turbo charging. Supercharger might be interesting. I like the fact that simple all engine is a longer lasting less problem causing solution. I'm not taking it to the drag strip or trying to race very car out on the road. I think it would be nice to have a 300hp plus package that could get around 30mpg and last a 100k miles with normal repairs. So that being said, I'm gonna stay with this I4 engine till it pucks. I only have 56k miles on it now. I don't for see any real problems until I'm over 150k. I have plenty of time to research a solution. I work in research and development for a major truck company and have my own shop. I put a 350ci in a triumph spit fire back in the 90's. I know its a lot different now than the old carb models. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it. how it worked out and was it worth it.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 AM

If you are going to stick with the I4 until it dies you should probably add about 100k miles to your prediction.
mstrjon32, idle-mind and Amorget like this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Funny thing is there are folks that have put 2JZ inline 6 engines in our cars so even that 6 cylinder swap would be more "practical" than trying to do this V6.

I've also heard that an LS aluminum block/head V8 doesn't add a whole lot of weight to the car...which I found very surprising and haven't verified.

With a GMPP tune, the LNF is rated at 290 bhp. To go up another 33 bhp with an engine swap wouldn't be worth it to me unless the potential of the V6 to make a LOT more power is there. Nevermind that many folks using different tunes than the GMPP tune are getting even higher bhp numbers on otherwise stock engines would make this solution even less attractive.
Wade has a thread on the Sol forum where he weighed each wheel before and after the conversion to lS3. The total weight increase was 125 pounds.

The thread includes pictures and data.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
Wade has a thread on the Sol forum where he weighed each wheel before and after the conversion to lS3. The total weight increase was 125 pounds.

The thread includes pictures and data.
That's awesome. It still amazes me that the weight penalty is still so minor. I'll have to find that thread and see what the weight bias changes are.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Grimm View Post
I was looking for a non-turbo option. I'm not a fan of turbo charging. Supercharger might be interesting. I like the fact that simple all engine is a longer lasting less problem causing solution. I'm not taking it to the drag strip or trying to race very car out on the road. I think it would be nice to have a 300hp plus package that could get around 30mpg and last a 100k miles with normal repairs. So that being said, I'm gonna stay with this I4 engine till it pucks. I only have 56k miles on it now. I don't for see any real problems until I'm over 150k. I have plenty of time to research a solution. I worrk in research and development for a major truck company and have my own shop. I put a 350ci in a triumph spit fire back in the 90's. I know its a lot different now than the old carb models. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it. how it worked out and was it worth it.
This type of swap has been suggested and discussed before.

You are going down a path that is little traveled. It took years to figure out how to do the LS swap. The mechanical issues are pretty straightforward. The tuning is not. Basically you will be forced to find someone with the right skills to write you custom code so you can interface the V6 with the car's electronics, or you will need to make it a stand alone power plant and delete ABS, traction control, stability control and any features baked into the car's software that depend on communicating with the ECM.

It has been done but again it is a real pain.

Building a car back in the 90s is significantly different than integrating a "modern" fly by wire platform. While I am sure you have skills, it took me close to 4 years to complete integration of am LS into my car and that is after the builder did his work and installed LS1 edit engine management software that interfaces well with the vehicle software.

I think people are offering their thoughts that
1) you can dial up as much HP as you want with the 2.0 and avoid huge problems.
2) you can follow a well blazed trail to install an LS and avoid huge problems
3) if you do proceed with the V6 option then the end result will be of questionable benefit and is a HUGE mountain to climb
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Grimm View Post
I was looking for a non-turbo option. I'm not a fan of turbo charging. Supercharger might be interesting. I like the fact that simple all engine is a longer lasting less problem causing solution. I'm not taking it to the drag strip or trying to race very car out on the road. I think it would be nice to have a 300hp plus package that could get around 30mpg and last a 100k miles with normal repairs. So that being said, I'm gonna stay with this I4 engine till it pucks. I only have 56k miles on it now. I don't for see any real problems until I'm over 150k. I have plenty of time to research a solution. I work in research and development for a major truck company and have my own shop. I put a 350ci in a triumph spit fire back in the 90's. I know its a lot different now than the old carb models. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it. how it worked out and was it worth it.
My 2.0 turbo Saab has 167K miles on it now and I run it up to 130+ MPH on my way to the office daily. If I'm careful with the throttle (which is rarely) it will easily return 40 MPG.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in