Help! Stuck trying to download Trifecta tune! - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Help! Stuck trying to download Trifecta tune!

I have been try all day since 9.30 am to load the Trifecta tune. First windows 8.1 was not operating and I was on call with their customer service for over 4 hours. We could not get Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 to download. (I thought we only needed that for Windows 10?)
Fixed eventually.
Then I downloaded the blue EZ Flash installer.
Connected the Flash Loader to the OBD2 port & laptop.

Step 4 connect flash loader / OBD2 port & laptop USB port
Step 5. Went to launch EZ Flash from the Start menu......... NOT THERE. Had to do a search, saw something like it and pinned it to my task bay for now..
Step 6. ......????? ....NO OBD2 DTCs or Readiness monitors
Step 7. Program vehicle. When I choose "Program vehicle" a box with desktop files/folders comes up, including one folder that says "Trifecta Calibration Files"....EMPTY! Nothing to click on. That was not in the "how to" video.

No where to go from there!

Please advise!

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:22 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Garage
Windows 95...LOL
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Windows 95...LOL
Wow! You REALLY are the Forum ass!

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:30 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 View Post
Wow! You REALLY are the Forum ass!
You have just showed this Forum that u cannot take a joke. You have PERSONALIZED a simple reply....and remember, when u start calling people names ...u lose any argument.

Lots of Personality Disorder.
Sky_Pilot likes this.

Last edited by marlboromike; 10-26-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
You have just showed this Forum that u cannot take a joke. You have PERSONALIZED a simple reply....and remember, when u start calling people names ...u lose any argument.

Lots of Personality Disorder.
OK, now that we've gotten that out of the way, do you have anything constructive to add to my inquiry?

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Step 7. Program vehicle. When I choose "Program vehicle" a box with desktop files/folders comes up, including one folder that says "Trifecta Calibration Files"....EMPTY! Nothing to click on. That was not in the "how to" video.

No where to go from there!

Please advise!
Its been a few years since I programmed mine but I cant imagine the process has changed much. The EZ Flash software likely defaults to a folder where you can keep any number of calibration files but that does not mean that when you download the calibration file from Trifecta that its automatically places itself into the correct folder. You may have to manually copy the calibration file into the appropriate folder that the EZ Flash is looking at. Does it tell you the directory structure where it is looking for the calibration file(s) and what is that structure? Where is your calibration file that you downloaded from Trifecta.

For example, you may have downloaded the calibration file to your default "My Downloads" folder but the EZ Flash software may be looking under C:\Program Files\EZ Flash\Calibration (That is just an example and not the actual directory structure).

Are you able to use the EZ Flash software and OBDII connection to read the information about your ECM in order to prove that the connectivity is working, before you try and program it?

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgassor View Post

For example, you may have downloaded the calibration file to your default "My Downloads" folder but the EZ Flash software may be looking under C:\Program Files\EZ Flash\Calibration (That is just an example and not the actual directory structure).

Are you able to use the EZ Flash software and OBDII connection to read the information about your ECM in order to prove that the connectivity is working, before you try and program it?

Two good questions. I looked for those files outside my downloads folder ad nauseum but nothing could be found.
Second question, using OBDII connection to read the information about my ECM......huh. Dunno how to do that really.

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Hi Keith, I currently suspect (from the other thread where we are communicating) that you dont yet have the option to download the calibration file (named after your VIN number). The first files that they make available for you is the user guide and the EZ Flash software, the infamous 3rd file containing your calibration data may be delayed in availability. I was pleased to see that even logging into my Trifecta account 4 years later that the files are still available for me to download (though I have a copy of them anyway).

When you connect the OBDII cable to both your OBDII port under the steering wheel, and to the USB port on your computer, then turn your ignition on (but don't start the car), you should be able to use the options in the EZ Flash software to look at "Vehicle Info" or to read any engine codes. This activity is a way for you to confirm that communication from your computer to the car is working, before you even begin to program the car with the Trifecta Calibration file.

When you run the EZ Flash software you should see some options at the top of the screen, such as File, Program, Vehicle Info, and Help. These are 'menu' options. If you click on 'Vehicle Info' you show see the option to run the 'Code Scanner' and also the options to 'Read Controller' or 'Show Module Info'. Under these options you can read information about the ECM (Engine Controller Module) and TCM (Transmission Controller Module). You would only look at TCM if you had an automatic though.

I tested the software and the OBDII EZ Flash cable long before I received and programmed my Sky with the calibration file. This gave me experience with the software and the cable, and proved that communications would work. The fact that you had issues in Windows 8.1 (Microsoft Vista?) and needed to download/install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 as a prerequisite to being able to run the EZ Flash software was unfortunate but sometimes necessary in a Microsoft Windows environment. I likely ran mine under Windows 7, 4 years ago.

You had stated:
Quote:
including one folder that says "Trifecta Calibration Files"....EMPTY
which is a sign to me that there is a misunderstanding about installing the EZ Flash software and pointing it to your calibration file. You may have concluded that the software comes with the calibration file, which it does not. It's a prerequisite to have on your computer before connecting to your car and pointing the software to the Trifecta calibration file.

I am a computer guy, software, administration etc. So there are steps that I intuitively know how to do without thinking about it, but for other folks its not always logical what steps need to be done and that is often a mistake made by providers of the software and service. Don't feel bad about it as we all have our strengths and weaknesses. That is why we are here to help each other out.

Traditionally when you 'install' software it will pin itself to the Windows menu to make it easy to find and launch, but this software is not really like that. You have to locate and run the EZ Flash program directly from the Windows folder where you downloaded it to. Some software tools (such as this) as not engineered to be 'installed' like other software and in fact dont really need to be. They can be launched (by double-clicking with the mouse) and will pop up with graphics and a menu system. Don't hold it against the software maker just because they don't add themselves to your Windows menus, sometimes these tools are very basic in their design, but do the job they were designed for!

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler

Last edited by jgassor; 10-28-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Keith, I currently suspect (from the other thread where we are communicating) that you dont yet have the option to download the calibration file (named after your VIN number). The first files that they make available for you is the user guide and the EZ Flash software, the infamous 3rd file containing your calibration data may be delayed in availability. I was pleased to see that even logging into my Trifecta account 4 years later that the files are still available for me to download (though I have a copy of them anyway).

When you connect the OBDII cable to both your OBDII port under the steering wheel, and to the USB port on your computer, then turn your ignition on (but don't start the car), you should be able to use the options in the EZ Flash software to look at "Vehicle Info" or to read any engine codes. This activity is a way for you to confirm that communication from your computer to the car is working, before you even begin to program the car with the Trifecta Calibration file.

When you run the EZ Flash software you should see some options at the top of the screen, such as File, Program, Vehicle Info, and Help. These are 'menu' options. If you click on 'Vehicle Info' you show see the option to run the 'Code Scanner' and also the options to 'Read Controller' or 'Show Module Info'. Under these options you can read information about the ECM (Engine Controller Module) and TCM (Transmission Controller Module). You would only look at TCM if you had an automatic though.

I tested the software and the OBDII EZ Flash cable long before I received and programmed my Sky with the calibration file. This gave me experience with the software and the cable, and proved that communications would work. The fact that you had issues in Windows 8.1 (Microsoft Vista?) and needed to download/install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 as a prerequisite to being able to run the EZ Flash software was unfortunate but sometimes necessary in a Microsoft Windows environment. I likely ran mine under Windows 7, 4 years ago.

You had stated: which is a sign to me that there is a misunderstanding about installing the EZ Flash software and pointing it to your calibration file. You may have concluded that the software comes with the calibration file, which it does not. It's a prerequisite to have on your computer before connecting to your car and pointing the software to the Trifecta calibration file.

I am a computer guy, software, administration etc. So there are steps that I intuitively know how to do without thinking about it, but for other folks its not always logical what steps need to be done and that is often a mistake made by providers of the software and service. Don't feel bad about it as we all have our strengths and weaknesses. That is why we are here to help each other out.

Traditionally when you 'install' software it will pin itself to the Windows menu to make it easy to find and launch, but this software is not really like that. You have to locate and run the EZ Flash program directly from the Windows folder where you downloaded it to. Some software tools (such as this) as not engineered to be 'installed' like other software and in fact dont really need to be. They can be launched (by double-clicking with the mouse) and will pop up with graphics and a menu system. Don't hold it against the software maker just because they don't add themselves to your Windows menus, sometimes these tools are very basic in their design, but do the job they were designed for!

Thanks Jim! Can you tell I am a doofus with this stuff?

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
My suggestion is for the two of you to get on the phone while speed is trying to do this. I bet Gassor can get you thru it. Plus if he doesn't you will have met one of the best non paid comedians in the country. lol
jgassor likes this.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
My suggestion is for the two of you to get on the phone while speed is trying to do this. I bet Gassor can get you thru it. Plus if he doesn't you will have met one of the best non paid comedians in the country. lol

I'm happy if Jim will do that, but I can't encroach on his time.

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Jim! Can you tell I am a doofus with this stuff?
No, that's MM's job
jgassor likes this.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Garage
Hope you got it sorted out sir. Jim is a great resource for this as he put the Trifecta tune on his car AND is an IT guy. I've never used a Trifecta tune so have no idea how it is all supposed to work.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I'm happy if Jim will do that, but I can't encroach on his time.
I would be happy to get on a call with you Keith, but until you confirm receipt of the calibration file we should wait, unless you have concerns about connectivity from the computer to the ECM, but I think customer support may have already sorted that issue with you though. Worse case I can always remotely connect to your computer with you if needed (as long as it is on the network) and help with the programming.

Jim
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I would be happy to get on a call with you Keith, but until you confirm receipt of the calibration file we should wait, unless you have concerns about connectivity from the computer to the ECM, but I think customer support may have already sorted that issue with you though. Worse case I can always remotely connect to your computer with you if needed (as long as it is on the network) and help with the programming.
I agree. I have a call in with Michael @ Trifecta today. Will update y'all after that.

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in