How to install redline dual exhaust or any other bolt on. - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Put my 3" magnaflow on saturday it sounds and looks great had the use of a lift so no need to remove rear valance but all went smoothly. Anyone need a RL factory exhaust for an upgrade to a 2.4 PM me asking 300.00 or best offer.

MIDNIGHT BLUE 5 sp B on B Leather Sky Cover Locking Gas Cap Mud Flap Wheel Locks All Weather Floor Mats Highway Emergency Kit Spoiler 6 Disk LIL Chrome Cast Chrome Rims UPSHIELD 3" Magnaflow Quad PASPORT SR7 ZR3 LAZERJAMMER Viper alarm w/proxi sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 PM

Nice work!! hopefully i wont need to take the rear fasia off when putting my RPI Xaust on thurs!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM

Hey Stretch,

Where did you put the passport? and the Jammers do you have a couple of pics of that install?

I am at a loss as to where to put mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

A local shop put the 2 front jammers inside the lower opening behind the grill and get this he hid the front radar pickup behind the plastic bumper you can not see it at all. It works through the plastic facia. The rear laser jammer goes above the plate that is the only item you can see walking around the car. He put the receiver on top of the steering colum only thing it blocks is the fog light indicator but it all looks sweet. The mute button is mounted top center of the shifting boot on the silver piece with 3m tape great positioning avail yet not in the way... I will try to get pic but you really have to look for the jammers through the black mesh in the front to even find them.

MIDNIGHT BLUE 5 sp B on B Leather Sky Cover Locking Gas Cap Mud Flap Wheel Locks All Weather Floor Mats Highway Emergency Kit Spoiler 6 Disk LIL Chrome Cast Chrome Rims UPSHIELD 3" Magnaflow Quad PASPORT SR7 ZR3 LAZERJAMMER Viper alarm w/proxi sensor
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 PM

caution

Ok... I don't have a lift. I have been able to remove the stock exhaust without one........

It can be done, but then you have no way to remove it from under the car. The valiance must now come off.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
This is really good but there is a easier way

This is all really good info but there is a easier way. Ok, being the R/L exhaust is the same size pipe my feeling is pipe is pipe. I bought my R/L exhaust from one of our members and when he shipped it to me it was in three pieces. This worked out really good because I just cut the rear valance myself and took it to the muffler shop and he cut the muffler off and wire feed welded the dual on for $40.00. It turned out really good and it sounds unbelievable, video attached.
[IMG]

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2wq7fva[/IMG]

Last edited by RickyD; 05-28-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: .
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Nice job!

Greg
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Garage
Dual mod complete

Here is a short video once I got the R/L exhaust on. It sounds great. I was going to go with the Magna Flow and glad I didnt this is plenty loud enough
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lost power

I installed my R/L exhaust today using a new valance ($ 252.00 from the dealer, incl tax). I thought about cutting the existing valance, but I knew that if I did I would eventually spend at least a weekend making a trim flange for the cut out to match the factory side, so I decided to go on and spend the money now. It took about an hour and a half, including cleanup, and a significant portion of the time was spent on the two little metal clips that hold the bottom of the valance to the bumper.

I mostly did this swap for the look, from the first time I saw the Sky I thought something was missing with the single exhaust. I like the sound, a little more snarl than the stock exhaust, but not as loud as the aftermarket exhausts that I have heard.

My only disappointment is an apparent loss of power. Before I did the swap I took my GTech for a couple of runs at a not-yet-opened shopping center. In two passes I recorded max hp of 115 and 118. After the swap I duplicated the test and got 110 and 112 hp. I have not looked at the curves yet, but the peak power is distinctly lower.

Has anyone dyno'd a 2.4 with the R/L exhaust ? If so, what was the result ?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Garage
R/l exhaust

I haven't dynoed my base but there is no way you should have LOST power going to the dual. I would re-check everything
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:53 AM

Garage
onboard dyno?

How did you get the HP? do you have a onboard dyno?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
RickyD : How did you get the HP? do you have a onboard dyno?
I have a GTech. It calculates hp by measuring acceleration. It also records lateral g-force to measure cornering.
Quote:
RickyD : I haven't dynoed my base but there is no way you should have LOST power going to the dual. I would re-check everything
It may be that the ECM has to adjust to the change, but out of the box I lost power. I am confident that my measurements are good, the numbers are very consistent from run to run.

I did not expect any real gains, but a loss will certainly disappoint me.

John
Lexington, KY
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I read somewhere that that was a possibility, (loss of power) however I did not believe until now with your test. I am not totally convinced yet tho, I think the ECM has to adjust after a bit and it will be interesting to see your results after it adjusts. You can always pull battery for 30 minutes and let it re-tune itself. But I am very interested in your 2nd test--

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 AM

Garage
After retune

Yes I would like to see the results after the retune also. J- where did you get your G-Tech and how much was it. That would be cool to have.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
RickyD : Yes I would like to see the results after the retune also. J- where did you get your G-Tech and how much was it. That would be cool to have.
I had the batery disconnected during the install, so the ECM was reset. That may actually do more "harm" than "good", however, as it requires the ECM to re-learn everything, including altitude, fuel, and climate conditions that have not changed. I really think that the "reset" is pretty meaningless, but who knows. I'll repeat the test in a day or so.

Do a google search for GTechpro. I bought it from the manufacturer. I have the RR model, as I wanted to be able to track lateral g and upload to my computer. Be advised, it has a problem communicating with the car, and does not read RPM correctly, so the hp curves are vs time, not RPM.

John
Lexington, KY

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in