LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build! - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post

Thats what I was thinking. probably close to the value of the car.... or more.

20k-30k for a joe-schmo?

uhhhhmmmm....let see some guestimates here:

sleeved block & aftermarket parts = $6k
ported head & aftermarket parts = $3k
Werks Race IC = $1.5k
GT4094r = $1.8k
GT2871r w/ Tial housing = $1.5k
Compound kit = $3k
cryo-treatment of engine & tranny =$3k
spec stage 3 clutch =$1.2k
swaintech coating =$1k
AEM meth kit =$0.3k
Blitz boost controller =$0.5k
DDM walbro fuel pump =$0.35k
labor fees =$3-4k
dyno tuning =$0.5k
TOTAL = roughly around $27-28k ????

about the same price of a Mallet conversion

so if you have $30k.......you pick which route you take

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) build, goal= 800hp

CAR:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
BTF, Nitrofreeze, Split Sec, Turbosmart, K1, Supertech, DDM, WERKS, Solo Performance, Aeroforce, Forgestar, Burns SS, TurboWerx
post #32 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pocket change.

GM Stage 1 Tune|Solo Street Race Exhaust With Magnaflow Mufflers|GMR 8K HIDs|Parking Light Leds|License Plate Leds|Little Chromies|3rd Brake Light Vinyl:REDLINE|GMR Pulsating and Sequential Taillights|
post #33 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to hafizmo
Quote:
sleeved block & aftermarket parts = $6k
ported head & aftermarket parts = $3k
Werks Race IC = $1.5k
$1.5k
Compound kit = $3k

spec stage 3 clutch =$1.2k

These prices are making me go ?? I can't vouch for some of the other stuff but I used almost all brand name stuff and didn't pay close to 30k? Like for instance my Spec Stage 3 plus lightweight flywheel came out to less than 1.2k! An intercooler for 1.5k?
post #34 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizmo View Post
These prices are making me go ?? I can't vouch for some of the other stuff but I used almost all brand name stuff and didn't pay close to 30k? Like for instance my Spec Stage 3 plus lightweight flywheel came out to less than 1.2k! An intercooler for 1.5k?
Actually the werks race Intercooler will probably cost more since someone has to pay about $60 shipping.

Your spec stage 3 is cheaper than stage 3+. Monadzback got it for $850 since I think he receives 10% discount or sumthin. Without discount, plus shipping, it will be around $1100 or so depending on where u buy it.

That's y I said, guestimates....

If a person does his research And get the lowest price, he might save $5000.

Dyno time is another key. More tuning time, more money....

I know you didn't spend as much money, but look at the parts listed on my first post, I bet u don't have as much upgrades internally, drivetrain services and labor......

CAR:

SPONSORS:
BTF, Nitrofreeze, Split Sec, Turbosmart, K1, Supertech, DDM, WERKS, Solo Performance, Aeroforce, Forgestar, Burns SS, TurboWerx
post #35 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Did someone say 600 whp EVO? Yea baby
Tony, my friend, why even bother. I learned my lesson from the few pics you posted of our cars together.
Your real friends are happy for you and wish you the best.
Does anyone make an intercooler delete pipe for your car
post #36 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.G. View Post
Did someone say 600 whp EVO? Yea baby
Tony, my friend, why even bother. I learned my lesson from the few pics you posted of our cars together.
Your real friends are happy for you and wish you the best.
Does anyone make an intercooler delete pipe for your car
Why would you want that?

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #37 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Tony, thank you for saying "I have the right to criticize" however I never would. Everyone has their own style, taste, pocketbook etc. Even with vehicles that do not fit my taste, I can appreciate the amount of hard work and dedication and money that went into building them. So I appreciate them for what they are and for how proud their owners are of them. And most importantly KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT. But thats just me. I try to learn form every vehicle and every owners expierence and gain knowledge from them.
For those of you that don't know, I own a 624whp, 512wtq on 93 pump gas EVO ( not stock internals )and a SKY Redline. Tony posted some pics a few months ago of our cars together at a charity car show and I got ripped apart on this site. They are very different cars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So lets wish Tony the best! There will always be someone faster or better that what each of us owns. Remember opnions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and alot of them are $hitty

P.S. The intercooler delete pipe is an inside joke between Tony and I. I am buying his current intercooler once this build starts. It has been pushed off several times so I am just teasing about a delete pipe so I can get that intercooler.

Last edited by F.O.G.; 08-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
post #38 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
**** I run my car. Got 12 people at Nationals plus pictures to prove it.
Even got my own theme song
Running with the Devil by VH

It's hard to race our cars outside of AutoX. You can mod them like crazy, get insane power, seriously improve the handling, but until you weld in a roll cage, most places won't let you on their track. There are a couple that allow you to use what I consider an extremely dangerous style bar, but IMHO, that's just asking for murphy to b1tch slap you.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #39 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Race for pinks.

peace out.
post #40 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Drag racing proves nothing but acceleration.
Sports cars are all about handling.
Racing for the pinks is a fools bet. Anyone can miss a shift or foul a plug.
Autocross doesn't require horsepower, it requires driving skill and flat cornering. You never even get out of second gear!

All this venom is childish bull$hit. Talk is cheap, trash talk is cheapening.
And to boot, you guys can't spell worth a damn or construct a clear thought into a sentence, which makes you all look even more ridiculous.

Try to remember this: when you argue with a fool, bystanders can't tell who is the fool.

Go build your cars and then we'll see who's who.
post #41 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
Actually the werks race Intercooler will probably cost more since someone has to pay about $60 shipping.

Your spec stage 3 is cheaper than stage 3+. Monadzback got it for $850 since I think he receives 10% discount or sumthin. Without discount, plus shipping, it will be around $1100 or so depending on where u buy it.

That's y I said, guestimates....

If a person does his research And get the lowest price, he might save $5000.

Dyno time is another key. More tuning time, more money....

I know you didn't spend as much money, but look at the parts listed on my first post, I bet u don't have as much upgrades internally, drivetrain services and labor......

Internally, I have just as much parts if not more just different brands as well as labor on the motor. The headwork is literally identical with the exception that I didn't go oversized and upgraded the cams. I did go over sized on the block with the pistons. Used Carrillo rods. Instead of Bates head studs I went with ARP etc etc. However, where I do have to give you kudos is on everything else I mean you're going balls to walls with literally everything! I'm itching for a turbo upgrade bad but I'm still eyeballing an LSX swap. The only problem is getting rid of my freshly built LNF.

One thing I don't fully understand is; how was your car holding up in terms of traction when you were at the 400whp mark? Yamtr3 (I think that's his ID), swears that his LS2 with approximately 400+ whp does not get traction. So.. now that you have literally dived into the deep end what are you going to do for traction?
One last thing is don't let the haters get to you <-- Hater blockers!

Last edited by hafizmo; 08-13-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Passiveness galore
post #42 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 AM

^that. Traction. My my setup I break free at the top of 1,2 and sometimes 3rd with 337 whp. Double that with sky's setup and he might have to invent an AWD application for his car.

peace out.
post #43 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM

Man if this car came AWD with a VR38DETT, I would consider donating an organ.
post #44 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizmo View Post
Internally, I have just as much parts if not more just different brands as well as labor on the motor. The headwork is literally identical with the exception that I didn't go oversized and upgraded the cams. I did go over sized on the block with the pistons. Used Carrillo rods. Instead of Bates head studs I went with ARP etc etc. However, where I do have to give you kudos is on everything else I mean you're going balls to walls with literally everything! I'm itching for a turbo upgrade bad but I'm still eyeballing an LSX swap. The only problem is getting rid of my freshly built LNF.

One thing I don't fully understand is; how was your car holding up in terms of traction when you were at the 400whp mark? Yamtr3 (I think that's his ID), swears that his LS2 with approximately 400+ whp does not get traction. So.. now that you have literally dived into the deep end what are you going to do for traction?
One last thing is don't let the haters get to you <-- Hater blockers!
MO, I wasn't aware that you also upgraded your cylinder sleeves, mean bearings, chain tensioner, oil pump gear, balance shafts, and rocker arms. The block upgrade, INTERNAL BALANCE/BLUE PRINT, and install labor were expensive. I personally can't afford them. I was reading your thread before, but I guess, you didn't really specify everything....
I upgraded almost everything since, I know the drivetrain will be the next to link that will fail cuz I'm already noticing it. After the gt35 upgrade, clutch started slipping. After I upgraded the clutch........the synchros started to grind. I know the something else will fail eventually.....so I might as well upgrade them, while the car is at the shop.....

anyways, I came from a FWD background. I used to race turbocharged civics and RSX type-S for years back in the Philippines using b16a and b18 engines. I was the first one to reach flat 12 sec on a daily driven/full interior civic during the year 1998. Even with semi-slick and LSD, a 400 whp FWD car is hard to launch. That's why, having a RWD car for the first time in my life......is a total upgrade for me. Everything seems easier to control....lol. I already told myself that I'll never go back to FWD anymore

With my staggered set-up (8 and 9" wheels) and nitto nt05 tires.........launching from a stop light is not that bad. Yeah, it still spins, but not as bad compared to FWD. I am already looking to get a new set of wheels...maybe a staggered 9" and 10.5"/11" though.

but I will see first what happens to the project and find out, how my current staggered set-up reacts to it. If traction is bearable....then there's no need to change set-up. But if not, then upgrade to wider tires

a compound set-up will have a very linear power..........unlike a single turbo with a big surge of power. So we'll see......

CAR:

SPONSORS:
post #45 of 913 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
anyways, I came from a FWD background. I used to race turbocharged civics and RSX type-S for years back in the Philippines using b16a and b18 engines. I was the first one to reach flat 12 sec on a daily driven/full interior civic during the year 1998. Even with semi-slick and LSD, a 400 whp FWD car is hard to launch. That's why, having a RWD car for the first time in my life......is a total upgrade for me. Everything seems easier to control....lol. I already told myself that I'll never go back to FWD anymore

a compound set-up will have a very linear power..........unlike a single turbo with a big surge of power. So we'll see......
You had an RSX Type S wow I did not know that that is the K20A2 B16 and B18's are good motors to build on, but the K-Series are the newest monsters to play with. So you know about Hondata and Kpro.

The easy way to launch with huge power on a boosted application is boost per gear and big sticky tires. Kpro has it, but I don't know about GM.

07 SKY Redline Silver
  • Red/Black Leather
  • JPM Custom: Dash, Side panels, Shift boot, Center console Red leather
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in