MALLETT 003 found - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
MALLETT 003 found

At a car show today in the Phoenix Arizona area. Bumped into a guy who has MALLETT 003. Photos of the car .... it is white with a blue stripe down the center. Owner is Davie and lives in Lincoln, NE in summers, while winters in Phoenix area. Davie is bringing the Mallett to the Sunday show next week in Fountain Hills. Will keep you posted with photos then.
marlboromike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

His smartphone didn't project the photo too well in the sunlight, but he did confirm that the exhaust is dual-center in the rear. He did say he would sell, but from what he was saying I'm guessing he was the original owner of the upgrade to LS2. (AKA, his upgrades are beyond most market-value minds, )
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
I think that is the #3 of 2008. The original group was not numbered that way. Mine was build in 2006 and it was number 4.

But who knows, the way they numbered things you really don't know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Garage
Was there separate numbers for Skys/Solstices? I once saw a mallet in a Solstice with a V6.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Was there separate numbers for Skys/Solstices? I once saw a mallet in a Solstice with a V6.
Good question, Mike. My understanding, from an unnamed source, was that for a couple of extra dollars when you signed on the dotted line, you could have just about any number you wanted, as long as it hadn't been used yet.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 02:22 AM

Garage
The Sky's had low numbers to. Date of build gives the real idea of what number it really was. The previous owner of mine had pictures with Chuck Mallett and number 4 parked with number 1. I have been told that 1-3 were destroyed, but have also heard that Ken Kelly has number 1. Never asked him when I was talking with him about mine. At that time I had no idea he had one.

Mine has been gone for nearly six months, and have not missed it a second.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 02:42 AM

Garage
My number plate looked different. Just had a few numbers on it. Mine was an 06. Still a very low number. I think there was total of 48 built, both Sky and Solstice. CBM in Ontario bought all the original engines. He could not remember if it was 47 or 48 total. He did get a few, very few 2.0's in the group. I learned alot about the car and things that were done. It really is sad that the car did not make it like it should have.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...e-kappa-73889/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Finding a needle in a haystack... another Mallett. From the photos, this one is a Vert not a Coupe version. I did get to see one up close at the Nationals in Lexington. I knew what is was right from the get go, however I was getting ready to leave that morning, so I only took a short video of it. Nice and mean looking just sitting still in it's parking place. Never got to hear it, or meet the owner though. I'll have to look at my video see if I can find that shot of that Mallett.

Here is the 2 questions I have reguarding this. From 44th Sky quote.. but from what he was saying I'm guessing he was the original owner of the upgrade to LS2. From the engine photo above... Is that not an LS3 motor stuffed in there? Typo? Did Mallett offer more than one version $$$ of their upgrade to the V8 option when signing on the dotted line? Difference between the two options LS2 / LS3? 350 or 383 stroker?

The other question I have was this... IS there a Mallett converted SKY out there? Truly a rare option if there is one? I have seen other owners replace their stock motor with a V8 option of their own choosing crate motor, or an LSA or a 427 TT..here on You-Tube but never a Mallett conversion on the Sky? Is it or was only done to the Sol? I did follow the rebuild of skersfan Mallett. Being that this a Sky forum and I have ventured over to the Sol Forum from time to time, I have never ever seen or read about a Sky with a Mallet conversion? What's the serial number of that one would be an interesting topic of discussion here.

Anyways pretty cool thanks for posting this up for us. Took my Sky out this past Sunday, top up cold here. However there was a nut in a yellow Cobra getting gas at station I did see in my travels that day. Not something you see everyday when cruising around Christmas holidays. I went to see the grandsons, battling the holiday traffic around the D.C. region 495 beltway of Hell. It was worth the trip for ole GDad. A day in the car, presents and the grandsons, and a Cobra too,
Make My Day.. Harry Callahan. Cost 34 bills to fill it up, @ $3.09 for premium, ran good on the hwy blast down and back. 27.8 mpg for 220 miles. Couple of nuts out there on the hwy, 85 mph+ I hit the boost a couple of times, then I looked down at my speedo... Rut Ro LAC... ticket territory again better slow down.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 12-27-2018 at 08:00 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
The Sky's had low numbers to. Date of build gives the real idea of what number it really was. The previous owner of mine had pictures with Chuck Mallett and number 4 parked with number 1. I have been told that 1-3 were destroyed, but have also heard that Ken Kelly has number 1. Never asked him when I was talking with him about mine. At that time I had no idea he had one.

Mine has been gone for nearly six months, and have not missed it a second.
When I was working with Ken on the tune for PunisheR he sent me pictures of his Solstice. It was his test / development car. It was not converted but he developed his LS1edit tune for the Kappa on that car. I guess it was the original so number one. :-)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Yes there are Mallet Skys

https://www.mallettcars.com/conversions/v8-sky/

A web search will turn up several. Some for sale. :-)

And he did conversions with any flavor LS motor you wanted.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Seems I did find at least 2 Mallett Sky's in the web search. An 07 42K LS2 Black in OK. The other one was an 08 22K LS2 Silver in AZ. I think the serial #'s were 003 & 006. Build dates were 11/07 & 08/06. I knew I has seen these photos and cars before on here. Quick refresh to my brain.

Yes anything was available to your engine bay, + other upgrades to your Kappa, IF you had the money for it. LS2/3 or an LS7 if you checked that box off.
Ah little ricer Honda boy, have I got something for you...

The first V8 Sky I saw was on U-Tube, Scottie TV, some car show he went to. Twice he saw this odd to him Sky sitting there. Finally he meets the owners, nice normal couple, the guy did the conversation himself, 6.0 GTO motor, plus other mods. Pretty cool I thought. Then the wife fires it up, the rumble was sweet from our model. Nah just a 4 banger in there... Yeah right. Cam lope was obvious, the exhaust noise is just a bit different...

I did find the V8 Mallet in Lexington from my video. Think it had Michigan tags? Silver. Sharp car. There were other V8 cars there too, done by the owners. Nice one from Neb. Another Red one on a trailer, TX. maybe? You just never know... in the mall parking lot, a low growl rumble... ah Kappa model with the 2.0/2.4 motor... not exactly.

LAC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-12-28-05h21m56s839.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	103737  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
At a car show today in the Phoenix Arizona area. Bumped into a guy who has MALLETT 003. Photos of the car .... it is white with a blue stripe down the center. Owner is Davie and lives in Lincoln, NE in summers, while winters in Phoenix area. Davie is bringing the Mallett to the Sunday show next week in Fountain Hills. Will keep you posted with photos then.
I sense there is a 'no show' potential of the Mallett spoken of above. Having sent a text and an email with no response, I'm a little doubtful there will be a Mallett at the show this weekend. Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case! We will see.

I do agree with what has been written here that this Mallett is probably an 08 year being the 3rd unit of that year of 08. This seems most logical. If there is a show up, I'll be sure to get a close-up photo of that badge.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:33 PM

Garage
The one from Nebraska is not a V8, it is just an engine cover laid over a 2.4NA. I know the guy, he has fooled many people with his car. Several made the same comment about it at Colorado. Funny thing we grew up together, his brother and I were good friends in high school. Just happened to park next to each other in Arkansas. Wierd, had not seen him since 1965.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

skersfan, yes, I remember that car at Black Hawk this past June. Exactly as you said, just an engine cover, not a V8. But I thought that guy was from Omaha. This guy has a Lincoln, NE phone number. Still might be the same dreamer, LOL. I kinda remember the guy at Black Hawk, but didn't think this guy last week was that same guy. Either way, I will be surprised if there is a V8 showing up this weekend.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:48 AM

Garage
No Bill, I was addressing LAC sky about the ones in Kentucky. I know he was there, and felt he should have won, but he felt the same about Colorado. Kind of a strange duck if you remember. I think he was parked down one from me in the show parking. He had Omaha plates.

No doubt the one in Arizona is a Mallett. There is a Black one running around Phoenix. I have seen it twice on runs there. The one I bought, the second owner was from Phoenix area. A lot of Malletts went there for some reason.

Sorry about the game, I was actually cheering for the Cyclones, which was tough as I am huge Mike Leach fan. One very funny man. But Campbell really is doing a good job at Iowa State, I hope you can keep him.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in