New Release...PAW Front Strut Tower Brace - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
New Release...PAW Front Strut Tower Brace

DDM use to make a brace very similar to this but has since discontinued it. Dave Gilbert at PerformanceAutoWerks.com seems to have come out with their own now and it looks killer. It was just announced today, 4/5/2019 about 25 minutes ago. @skersfan, I know you thought this was better than the Venom brace. I may wind up picking one of these up...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pawBrace002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	104689   Click image for larger version

Name:	pawBrace001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	104691  
Emmett likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 04-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Who knows which is better but at least Venoms is invisible...looks better hidden.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
Personally I like the look, I get comments on mine at every event I attend. It would look better yellow though.
I will be ordering one for the uglyrock, eh I mean Bluestone. Sorry just had to Emmett.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sharp looking piece, well constructed, fits the engine bay nicely, and looks like it belongs there from the factory.
Provides support and stabilizes the flex and roll to the front suspension.
The engine weight, suspension travel, steering/braking under certain conditions gains over not having one, is up to the owner.
The cost for this product is again an owner option here.

Engine bling, car show attraction, or track day benefits as after market products continue for our model. One vendor discontinues it's version of the tower brace, another vendor picks up potential customers by introducing their version?

IF you have powder coated engine spaces, valve cover, IC pipes, air intake tube, fuse block cover, etc. I agree with Robo/skersfan that a coordinating color scheme same as your car color for this part.

IF your not in to the powder coated look, old school look of chrome/alum/mag/ brushed nickel plating could be an option here?
Plastic-Dip in your color of choice or...racing/vendor/products used on your car decal location for your engine modifications?

I did get to see the DDM version of this tower brace at the Nationals in Lexington. First time I had seen one on our cars up close. Looked cool and has some benefits but each owner will have different results or reactions, pro or con here.
I checked some of my photos from the event, only one car had this brace.
Not something you see everyday, however at car shows you might see more of them in other engine bay spaces?

I always wonder about clearance issues under the hood liner. I am sure this has been checked, but what if any are... long term effects on the liner or hood?
Each car is different, just because it works for this car, does not mean it will work so good on your car.
Fit and finish adjustments before you slam your hood down. The frustration factor kicks in, or that was easy as hell to install weekend warrior style, with no issues ever with rubbing the liner.

I was about to make a run down to Summit Point in the next few hours,.. however the weather is not all that great right now. Top down is out of the question, right now but there is always tomorrow for a run to see the guys at Turn 5. Cabin fever has caught up with LAC.

Nice cruise maybe.. looks out window checks weather updates,... see some friends, some racing action, beer & dog, kick back for a few hours, then bring my baby back home, IF... the weather improves, I'm outta here... Vroom Vroom baby.. the Miata drone of 40 cars never gets old. Well yes it does.. but I have put up with it for 30 years, what's another season worth.

A GT 1 SCCA National event is in 3 weeks at the Point. It better be...top down driving weather by then. Safe travels out there gang...

LAC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0233.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	104695  

Last edited by LAC Sky; 04-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
How easy/difficult will this be to install/remove. I see that it does not relocate the power steering reservoir, covers up access to the coil pack and to the main coolant junction. So it would need to be removed any of that servicing was done.

It’s a thin piece, but assuming it doesn’t interfere with the DDM coil cover plate?

Might be easier if the “pop rivets” holding the arms to the cross brace were bolts/nut or nicer looking hardware that was removable.

Lastly, will this fit the deeper fiberglass hoods, like Norm’s Viper hood, which had drip tras that may already occupy some of this real estate

Last edited by SaturnSkyRedline2015; 04-06-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
I always wonder about clearance issues under the hood liner. I am sure this has been checked, but what if any are... long term effects on the liner or hood?
Each car is different, just because it works for this car, does not mean it will work so good on your car.
Fit and finish adjustments before you slam your hood down. The frustration factor kicks in, or that was easy as hell to install weekend warrior style, with no issues ever with rubbing the liner.
I have the DDM production one (steel) and it does rub the hood liner a little. Interestingly DDM had originally made theirs with an aluminum crossbar too, but bar some prototypes, they didn't make production. I don't know why, may have been cost, may have been clearance again (the steel ones have some fitment cutouts to lower the height).

Still, nice to see another of this type available again. It really does look cool.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
@Robotech Really? We don't have struts, or strut towers. How can we have a strut tower brace?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:33 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
@Robotech Really? We don't have struts, or strut towers. How can we have a strut tower brace?
How about "Shock Tower Brace"?

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Dave Gilbert's words, not mine. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
I have the other manufacturers system on my Yellow car, Venom brace on the green car. I prefer the tower brace. I drive them back to back, and for me personally think the tower brace actually does help.

I will be ordering one of these this afternoon. Trying to decide on the color, not much goes with the Uglyrock, eh I mean Bluestone color. I may just order it plain and have it powdercoated myself. That way nothing under my hood will have the three letter logo on it.

If this one is truly riveted, will remove them and put bolts in.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I can't find it

Performance Autowerks
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I can't find it

Performance Autowerks
Use from the topic of Robo's post, these words in the PAW website search feature; "Front Strut Tower Brace". That will take you there.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Garage
To me this is really an appearance, not a performance option. If you like the racy look, go for it while realizing that it will make servicing even more of a PITA. For performance, until I see actual data to the contrary, I expect that the Venom brace will do about the same thing for chassis stiffness without either getting in the way nor making the engine bay ugly.

I stand to be corrected if anyone tests both options and posts actual measured torsional stiffness figures.
Rob the Elder likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I stand to be corrected if anyone tests both options and posts actual measured torsional stiffness figures.
DDM Dave did post some 'semi-scientific' stiffness reports when they brought theirs out (they called theirs a "cross-bay brace"). They jack the corner of the car with and without the brace and reported much lower deflection with the tower brace in place. I did notice the front was stiffer, less cowl shake, but not sure it resulted in much in the was of better 'road-feel'. Not nearly as much as with the probeam/backbone braces when they went on, which was very noticeable.

Does this Werks version require the power-steering reservoir relocation?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, but we need two readings - with LV brace only and with the 'bridge truss gone crazy" (I refuse to call it a strut brace) version, to see which has the most effect.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in