performance upgrade tips? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List
Robotech

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Helluva outline Robo!

2008 Redline, 5-Speed, Silver/Pearl, Red Leather
DDMWorks Brace Bundle/Kappa Shifter/Charge Pipes
Pedders XA Coilovers
Solo Performance Hi-Flow Cat
RPI GT Exhaust/RPI CAI MOD
Hahn Racecraft Intercooler

"Live Life...'cause Life Happens."
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you sir.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Great write up Robo. I certainly learned a lot, especially liked your clear explanation about tuning/recalibration.

2009 Saturn Sky Red Line SE Ruby Red 5M
Trifecta tune
Windrestrictor
DDM short shifter
DDM brace bundle
Solo Performance Quad Tips
Lil' Chromies
Full LED lights
LED footwell lights
Trunk Gas Strut Mod
Kappa Rack
JPM Leather Console
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
That was an interesting explanation, as always there Robo. Good Sunday morning read with my coffee. I think it is why I reference your car here on the forum sometimes, when I see recently new to the SKY/Kappa platform owners, asking about upgrades to the OEM stock performance increase question. Yes... your mods are off the " fuel rails " for some, but it is a good indication of where you could go with our cars. 2.0 or 2.4 then mod to a hybrid version there of, or something like that. lol

Minor upgrade to mid-major power package upgrade... to the full blown insanity of replace everything with something better. More bang for your buck.
How fast do you want to go? How big is your budget? More power, greater acceleration, top end speed, torque on the bottom end, it use to be simple, more air, more fuel, more bang should get you to the promised land, or there a bouts. However with our cars, and with most modern cars now days computer control restricted by what the factory pre-set OEM base line, I agree with others, the base tune from Trifecta, etc. changes whatever air/fuel/exhaust/electrical changes you make. A must have imo, IF you want to over come the handicap of the restrictions from the factory pre-set. I have read and listen to you, John, skersfan, TS and others explain this in many threads over the years here on the forum.

So.. the air intake is upgraded, stock charge pipes optional, the exhaust has some improvements over OEM, your fuel feed is improved, the electrics get more sparky, your tune has "tuned up" the overall package...from the baseline ECM pre-set, the key to specialize recalibration for your car only is where major gains could be made, without blowing up your internals.

The two key things that caught my attention were the improvement to better brake pads, and the tunnel brace for stability under force with your horsepower improvements. IF the brakes don't stop it... something will. lol
Yeah pretty much... I am about to do my entire braking system in the spring. Everything. Safety first. The extra control of the new tunnel brace will help with throttle control adjustments... when it gets to the twisty sections of the roadway, when applying this new found horsepower improvement you've made.
With canyon carving, with Auto-X, track day run what you brung day, or the quick boosted burst freeway entrance ramp, my spot in the hwy. traffic going to work moment, you can spend a fortune over the years building up horse power improvements. Some improvements are done in a weekend with limited budgets. Others improvements may need off site, not in your garage help with upgrades with a healthy budget applied.

Seems I am typing to much here too...lol but it always good to get baseline help from our community of owners, before any upgrade is made to your Kappa. Better to be informed by owners, who have made improvements to our cars, then take the word of some guy in... 7/11 parking lot, or the parts counter of your local auto store. Mileage on the odo right now? A good starting point when making changes IF you want too? Then how long for this? IN a weekend,or over the next month or year will this improvement take place? $$$ Over or under odds, just like in Vegas. 1K or more? $1K or less? You the owner/operators selects the starting point for improvements to your ride. Your the one.. that IS funding this adventure here. Once knee deep into these improvements, and in debt too....you're hooked for life. The more improvements for horsepower... Need for Speed never ever seem to end.. sort of like this post LAC?

The End I promise...but wait if you order right now... we will double your horsepower improvements...

LAC
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I've attached a few pics of my Turbo 2.4 so you can see where I've gone with my (totally off the rails) build. LOL
I love your interior. I'd like that in red. Where did you get it done?

Your information is awesome. I used to work on my cars, rebuilding 68 Firebirds, brakes, etc, but don't have the time anymore, nor the desire. Finding a good mechanic who knows the car, and how to safely do these mods (braces, exhaust; San Diego/Temecula) will be as golden info as anything.

Or... club/group people who do it (right).

Cost isn't an issue with me. Finding the right mechanic who won't damage the car in the process... is.

Looks like you have a lot of fun in your Sky. Totally awesome. Your knowledge is a great benefit to everyone.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

A backbone, tune (Trifecta budget or a vendor remote tune) and a full set of Hawk pads would run you less than a grand and have you off to a solid start. You can do swaybars too and be around $1,000 or add a high flow cat downpipe and the front and rear braces and come in under $2k... intake... under $3K total.

Yea, I write a lot...
What you write is timeless. It is appreciated.

My plan: 2007 RL, Black.

1. Find a mechanic that can do the following without any Sky damage:

A backbone, sway bars, braces. Everything in Red, or, Canary Yellow. (Lol.)

Intake/Exhaust for deep grumble sound.

I'm worried about emissions (Smog check) with the high flow cat downpipe, but if no worries, that too.

Then, the vendor remote tune to "see" these mods and adjust accordingly.

Then Hawk pads.

Leather like Seat Covers (Red). I currently have cloth.

2. Have it all done (mechanical stuff), or learn from a pro as to how.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
I love your interior. I'd like that in red. Where did you get it done?

Your information is awesome. I used to work on my cars, rebuilding 68 Firebirds, brakes, etc, but don't have the time anymore, nor the desire. Finding a good mechanic who knows the car, and how to safely do these mods (braces, exhaust; San Diego/Temecula) will be as golden info as anything.

Cost isn't an issue with me. Finding the right mechanic who won't damage the car in the process... is.

Looks like you have a lot of fun in your Sky. Totally awesome. Your knowledge is a great benefit to everyone.
Quote:
What you write is timeless. It is appreciated.

My plan: 2007 RL, Black.

1. Find a mechanic that can do the following without any Sky damage:

A backbone, sway bars, braces. Everything in Red, or, Canary Yellow. (Lol.)

Intake/Exhaust for deep grumble sound.

I'm worried about emissions (Smog check) with the high flow cat downpipe, but if no worries, that too.

Then, the vendor remote tune to "see" these mods and adjust accordingly.

Then Hawk pads.

Leather like Seat Covers (Red). I currently have cloth.

2. Have it all done (mechanical stuff), or learn from a pro as to how.

Well, you're in luck. The guy who did the seats is also located at a shop that I'd trust to work on your car out in Beaumont. I think @skersfan and I may have told you about this shop before. The interior guy can take a while but he can do the work. Of course, you may be able to find the factory red seat covers for your car as well as the door panels. I know Skersfan had a set but I want to say he sold it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Well, you're in luck. The guy who did the seats is also located at a shop that I'd trust to work on your car out in Beaumont. I think
This is so awesome. I must have missed your post. Thank you
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
This is so awesome. I must have missed your post. Thank you
I think it was back when you first got the car. So it was a while ago...but no problem.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I was looking at the RPM Stage 1 tune but was told not to bother with any tune if you don't replace the stock fuel injectors. I don't see the fuel injector replacement on the various threads as being a concern. Did I get bad advise or are the fuel injectors just a given for those who have done tunes or engine mods?
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Finding a good mechanic who knows the car, and how to safely do these mods (braces, exhaust; San Diego/Temecula) will be as golden info as anything.

There is a big Kappa group in San Diego - https://www.facebook.com/sky.solstice

Also check-out our West Coast Kappa group - https://westcoastkappacar.club/

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
I was looking at the RPM Stage 1 tune but was told not to bother with any tune if you don't replace the stock fuel injectors. I don't see the fuel injector replacement on the various threads as being a concern. Did I get bad advise or are the fuel injectors just a given for those who have done tunes or engine mods?
The injectors on the 2.4 are SMALL. They are the same sized injectors used on the 2.2. Just a tune on a 2.4 won't do much and you can't deliver more fuel (a necessity for more power) without larger injectors as the stock ones are just about maxed on the 2.4. However, without a power added you will never have huge power gains on an NA engine like the 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgab View Post

LOL Skersfan, jgassor, and I all are part of the San Diego group. Good group and we do a lot of fun runs.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgab View Post

Thank you.
I left Facebook after their privacy issues. Is there a non- Facebook portal to the SD group?

Thank's
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thank you.
I left Facebook after their privacy issues. Is there a non- Facebook portal to the SD group?

Thank's
John, I will PM you an email you can contact them through and get on their mailing list.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Any recommendations on replacement injectors? RPM has a 36 lb set with a Stage 2 tune for $399 USD.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in