performance upgrade tips? - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List
Robotech

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
Thank you.
I left Facebook after their privacy issues. Is there a non- Facebook portal to the SD group?

Thank's
John, I will PM you an email you can contact them through and get on their mailing list.
As usual, you're awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
Any recommendations on replacement injectors? RPM has a 36 lb set with a Stage 2 tune for $399 USD.
That's what you want. I think the stock ones are 24lb. They're really small.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IFlyMe
@Robotech:

This has got to be the best post I've seen on this topic yet. THANKS! Couple follow up Q's for ya:
Given: I have a '08 Redline. Stock everything.

Question: If i were to get a custom tune now, then add charge pipes later and re-tune, what kind of gains would the pipes offer. Let's just say I go with Trifecta's premium tune (not the budget tune) right off the bat. Or, perhaps I go with RPM's tune and later get the charge pipes and re-tune.
thoughts on that? Some folks say charge pipes do next to nothing and the CAI does more. Others say just the opposite.

Your posts here have been so upfront and detailed that i feel you have an opinion worth listening to.

thanks in advnace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone know if DDM or RPM usually have a spring sale? DDM seems to have increased their prices after Christmas on most items.

Porsche Karmin Red, Magna-flow Quad tip exhaust, RPM CAI, DDM Backbone, Windristrictor
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
Venom Brace Mod with Stock Airbox

I installed the Venom Brace and was anticipating installing the RPM CAI. The Venom brace went in without an issue. I could not get the RPM CAI to fit so I reinstalled the stock air intake. The brace interferes with the stock intake and I had DDM send me the spacer. Looking at the spacer I am not sure what it is supposed to do or how it is to be installed. Anyone use this in their setup?

Porsche Karmin Red, Magna-flow Quad tip exhaust, RPM CAI, DDM Backbone, Windristrictor
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
There are some photos in thread ....
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...le-sale-74236/
Yep - that worked. Thanks

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Garage
Has anyone tried this product? Looks easier than a tune. Seems like something Robotech would have an opinion on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjI1Q6WSqs

post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
I have never tried this. But I know there is a similar piece for the Toyota FJ and Tacoma. Have several friends that have them and it does not really improve horsepower, but does improve performance.

The 2016 Tacoma's were really down on performance I have been told, but with this installed. It felt like the older engines performance wise. I drove the 2016 Demello truck at the National in 2017. It felt exactly like my 2007 FJ. Supposedly before this was installed, they were very sluggish. No idea about the later models though.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
Has anyone tried this product? Looks easier than a tune. Seems like something Robotech would have an opinion on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjI1Q6WSqs
This was just posted a few days ago. As I said on that thread, all this does is increase the ramp of the accelerator pedal and so only accomplishes exactly the same thing as pushing the pedal further/faster. As such it may feel faster, but it's not really. Also, in normal driving, using it means you will always be opening the throttle more than you would have otherwise, decreasing gas mileage across the board.
Kansas Bill likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Agree - waste of money.

My BMW has a stock switch that does this - I never use it. If I want to accelerate harder I just press the pedal further. Good example of a product turning nothing into money, though.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Most modern sporty cars have this option in the car settings to reduce throttle lag, although it normally tweaks more settings than just throttle response.

Mike liked it and is going to test it again during trackdays. Hopefully he will follow up with another review.
Yep - my MB 400 has 4 settings that adjust throttle, suspension, steering. I try not to drive the MB just before the Sky because the acceleration in the Sky is non-existent. Still fun with the top down but needs a bit more power.

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dang, Robotech. I think you just wrote a lecture for Advanced Redline Fun. I was considering doing some tweaks to the 2008 Redline I recently acquired but now I think I'll just run some engine cleaner thru the ol' girl and leave well enough alone. At 100K on the clock I'm reluctant to do much mechanical.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleasonfan View Post
Dang, Robotech. I think you just wrote a lecture for Advanced Redline Fun. I was considering doing some tweaks to the 2008 Redline I recently acquired but now I think I'll just run some engine cleaner thru the ol' girl and leave well enough alone. At 100K on the clock I'm reluctant to do much mechanical.
You're going to hate me but the engine cleaners aren't going to do everything they advertise in your LNF Direct Injected turbo. Since the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, it won't touch the intake tracks or back side of the intake valves where carbon buildup is notorious in a Direct Injected engine. Basically it will help with cleaning the direct injector nozzles and that's about it.

Honestly at that mileage the biggest things to look for are the water pump leak (if it hasn't been replaced already), timing chain, shocks, and the turbo. Some have reported major engine issues around that time too but the reports are few and far between...but they are there.

I would check your timing chains first and, if the guides/tensioners are worn, replace them and the chain. If the chains wore through the plastic part of the guides, got into the metal, and you're seeing metallic flakes in the oil, do an oil change, drive it for 500 miles, and do another to see if the oil is coming out clean.

If all that is good, some simple mods shouldn't be too hard on the engine. You can do intake if you like the noise, exhaust for either sound or looks (I like many of the aftermarket tips far better than the stock tips), and a tune. You'll be very happy with that setup, have a little more power, a little better (my opinion.. @skersfan felt the intake made the bypass valve sound like a goat) sound, and a different look.

Beyond engine upgrades, most shocks go about 70K miles or so. If yours are feeling worn out (car bounces) or show signs of leaking, getting new shocks or upgrading to coil overs can be a performance upgrade too that won't hurt anything at that mileage. Anti-Sway bars, front brace, "backbone" brace and rear suspension brace upgrades can also be beneficial to handling and again, car mileage really isn't important here.

If you do a lot of hard driving in mountain roads, upgrade your brakes. At a minimum, go with better pads and, if it hasn't been done, drain and replace your brake fluid. Stainless steel lines also are helpful to the stock brakes. That will improve the stock brakes to a point where they should be far less susceptible to brake fade when pushed hard. You can go further with brake upgrades but unless you're REALLY pushing it hard for a LONG time (racetrack or hard driving on mountain roads for an extended period of time) a pad upgrade and braided lines should be more than enough to have a good, safe, brake system. Like the other suspension stuff, these kinds of upgrades are only going to make the car better with the mileage you have on it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 05-13-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've got to reply to the sprint booster comments...many folks buy and use products others consider a waste of $.

I recently installed a sprint booster on my RL as I was not happy with the lazy throttle. It did exactly what I was looking for, improving the throttle response.

If you've tried it and it wasn't your cup,o tea, I get that. But dismissing it without any real expereince with it in my opinion is silly. That would be like saying the tune isn't worth it because...whatever.

Is it worth the $250 I paid? For me, yes! For others? Maybe not.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I've got to reply to the sprint booster comments...many folks buy and use products others consider a waste of $.

I recently installed a sprint booster on my RL as I was not happy with the lazy throttle. It did exactly what I was looking for, improving the throttle response.

If you've tried it and it wasn't your cup,o tea, I get that. But dismissing it without any real expereince with it in my opinion is silly. That would be like saying the tune isn't worth it because...whatever.

Is it worth the $250 I paid? For me, yes! For others? Maybe not.
The issue is we have seen them and we understand what they do. Will it improve response? Sure...just as putting your foot further into the pedal will improve response...because that's what it's doing.

Now you may like the feel of having more throttle for less pedal movement and, if you do, then this works for you. Just realize that you get to full throttle quicker and past a certain point in the gas pedal travel the pedal isn't doing anything since the throttle body is already at 100% open before the pedal is.

For the average driver this affect may be fine. For those of us who push the car, we know our throttle and want the full range of it's motion. If we want more throttle response, we'll put a bigger throttle body on the car.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in