Trifecta Budget after GMPP (lost GMPP?) - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TomatoSoup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Trifecta Budget after GMPP (lost GMPP?)

Bought my 2009 sky redline last year. First thing I did was GMPP tune at dealer for $$$. Then in order... solo hfc cat, probeam, back bone, and a few days ago trifecta budget tune to be activated by traction control. Car is amazing , but I have some observations/ opinions
What I have realized is that when trifecta is NOT active, I do not have the gmpp... it’s back to stock.
The other thing I’ve realized is that trifecta budget has enough power to spin the tires and get you sideways a little too easy even with competitive mode assisting.
This said I would recommend anyone get the cruise control activation. That was you can have tune performance regardless of traction control setting, but can be turned off for cruising or for other drivers.

The tune is amazing, smooth, and a noticeable improvement over gmpp. I highly recommend it.

Only disappointment was not realizing I would be losing GMPP. Stock boost back down to 16 from 19. Trifecta peaks at 27.

Great news is that since I asked first day after install it looks like WOT is allowing me to switch to the cruise control activating allowing full boost with full traction for full safety.

Any feedbacks or corrections welcomed. Just sharing my experience with future buyers.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
It was my understanding that if you already had GMPP you wouldn't lose it. You might want to double-check with Trifecta, because if you did in fact lose the GMPP tune, then you might run into an issue when running the base tune as you would already have the 3 bar sensors installed, and the stock tune doesn't expect these.

Otherwise, enjoy the newfound performance!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
This was covered on another thread recently... apparently the 'switch' actually toggles between two Trifecta tunes - a Hi-Po Trifecta and a 'base' Trifecta - NOT between the hi-po Trifecta and the GM tune. This it true whether or not you had the GMPP tune and sensors first.
mstrjon32 likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Reis View Post
........... trifecta budget has enough power to spin the tires and get you sideways a little too easy even with competitive mode assisting..........
Competitive mode switches the traction control off and reduces the effect of the stability control, so what you are seeing is expected.

Competitive Driving Mode is one of four states that the Electronic Stability/Traction Control System can be in.

>On powering the car, ESC and TC are both on.
>Pushing the control button once turns TC off, but leaves ESC on. The traction control light on the DIC will be on.
>Pushing the control button twice within 5 seconds enables Comp Mode, turns TC off, puts ESC in a limited mode, lights the TC light and sends a "Competitive Mode" message.
>Pushing the control button and holding it for 5 seconds (it seems longer) turns both TC and ESC completely off, lights the TC light and sends a "ESC Off" message.
>Pushing the control button again (after 5 seconds) will turn TC and/or ESC back on and the TC light off.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Reis View Post
Only disappointment was not realizing I would be losing GMPP. Stock boost back down to 16 from 19. Trifecta peaks at 27.
Just curious, but why would you want/need to go back to the GMPP tune. I had the trifecta and it was on all the time and I never "missed" the OE stock programming. Now I have the HPT and wouldn't go back to either the trifecta or (certainly not) the stock OE programming.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in