Turbo Upgrade - THoughts or Suggestions - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turbo Upgrade - THoughts or Suggestions

I was getting ready to do the DDMWorks GT2871 turbo upgrade but they're no longer offering it. Just wondering about options without needing to take out a second mortgage. I currently have a 2008 Redline, GM Performance tune, GM cold air intake, Trifecta tune, Solo Performance Ultra High Flow Cat, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust.

Anyone?
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I went thru RPM Motorsports. I did all of the work and did the tune remotely. Very nice upgrade with plenty of power. My 2009 Ruby Redline is now in the Goldie-locks zone. Not so much power you can’t go for nice Sunday drive with your special someone, yet enough power to pin you to the seat and surprise the Mustangs and Camaros 😜
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
After a bunch of deliberation last month I ended up going with the RPM "Big Wheel" K04 upgrade. As far as I know there isn't any other option that is dual scroll, and single-scroll introduces more turbo lag, which I definitely did not want. And the power band is still somewhat flat (though not as much so as stock). I wasn't as much interested in a big number in a short RPM range with lag. So that, Solo high flow cat, and Solo Street Race exhaust. I also ordered the DDM clutch and aluminum flywheel package. I'm planning to have Wester's do the tune.

None of it is installed yet though; the exhaust and cat (which I'm going to do) showed up last week. The clutch and turbo I'm going to have my ASE certified mechanic buddy do, when they arrive.

This should get the car to the 350-375 HP range, which is both a big jump from the GMPP tune and still under the 400 number where stock engine internals reportedly need to be addressed.

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Garage
Wise choice.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Curious what the difference is between the Performance Autowerks big wheel turbo and the RPM Motorsports big wheel turbo.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Wise choice.
I got sage advice

2008 Red Line
Five speed
Chrome wheels
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
I got sage advice
Just in thyme?

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Just in thyme?
"I see what you did there", he said, 'myrrhthfully'.

2008 Red Line
Five speed
Chrome wheels
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Garage
Now you are just pun-ishing me!

Clearly an un-savory character I shall not offer you any further encourage-mint!!

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
RPM Stage 2

Does anyone know of a video showing the replacement of the fuel injectors for the Stage 2 Tune? The Mike Martin Youtube series shows the Part 1 of the Stage 2 but not the part where he replaces the fuel injectors. I am comfortable with general mechanics but not sure how difficult this will be. Also, it seems like there is a bit of back and forth RPM to get the tune figured out. How difficult is the process overall?
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
Does anyone know of a video showing the replacement of the fuel injectors for the Stage 2 Tune? The Mike Martin Youtube series shows the Part 1 of the Stage 2 but not the part where he replaces the fuel injectors. I am comfortable with general mechanics but not sure how difficult this will be. Also, it seems like there is a bit of back and forth RPM to get the tune figured out. How difficult is the process overall?
Why don't you contact RPM instead of asking third parties? If they can't explain it to you, you probably shouldn't be using them.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
Are you a base model or Redline?

Replacing fuel injectors in the 2.4 is pretty easy. You do need a GM fuel line removal tool (available at any autoparts store) and a few simple tools.

You first depresurize the rail using the schrader (SP?) valve on the rail. This is the nipple that looks like it has a tire valve stem cap on it. This valve works just like a tire stem valve. You take off the cap and push in the stem in the center of the valve with something like a small screwdriver (wear eye protection). Once depresurized, un-plug all four injectors from the harness. They are a two part plug. The first part is a "lock" you have to pull out. It only comes out a little and they don't come out all the way. Once they are unlocked, you then push down on the tab the lock "locks" and pull on the plug. They should come off fairly easy. Now, using the fuel rail tool, disconnect the factory fuel line from the rail. This fitting does have a secure lock on it too but that just comes off by hand. You then have two 10mm bolts that hold the rail to the head. Remove these.

With all this off, the rail with the injectors attached will pull out of the head with a little effort. Be careful though as the injectors actually go into what GM calls injector insulators. These are big plastic pieces with an o-ring on the outside of them. Sometimes they come out with the injectors, sometimes they don't. DON'T lose these! With the rail out, the injectors are held into the rail with some small clips you need to remove. These can be pulled off with a pair of needle nose pliers. Keep these too and note how they go on and their orientation. With those off, the injetors just pull out of the rail.

Reinstallation is the reverse of above but you want to be sure the orings on both ends of the injectors are well lubed before istalling them in the rail or into the insulators. If you had insulators come out. Lube up their oring and reinstall them in the head before reinstalling the rail with the injectors.

Replacing the injectors for the 2.0 turbo car is a different story and, from what I've heard, not as easy. Replacing port injectors isn't hard and isn't propritary to one aftermarket company.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Robotech - very helpful (unlike wspohn's).
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to help. Just playing it forward for those who helped me.

Keep in mind though, those instructions are ONLY for the 2.4 NA. NOT the 2.0 Turbo.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
After a bunch of deliberation last month I ended up going with the RPM "Big Wheel" K04 upgrade. As far as I know there isn't any other option that is dual scroll, and single-scroll introduces more turbo lag, which I definitely did not want. And the power band is still somewhat flat (though not as much so as stock). I wasn't as much interested in a big number in a short RPM range with lag. So that, Solo high flow cat, and Solo Street Race exhaust. I also ordered the DDM clutch and aluminum flywheel package. I'm planning to have Wester's do the tune.

None of it is installed yet though; the exhaust and cat (which I'm going to do) showed up last week. The clutch and turbo I'm going to have my ASE certified mechanic buddy do, when they arrive.

This should get the car to the 350-375 HP range, which is both a big jump from the GMPP tune and still under the 400 number where stock engine internals reportedly need to be addressed.
At the engine maybe, If you put your car on a dyno afterwards, expect around 325 wheel HP.

You don't need a new clutch for this power output and let me tell you, and JohnnyGXP can back me up on this, as well as some others,
The DDM CLUTCH SUCKS!!
You will hate your car every time you have to start it from a dead stop in first gear.

Stick with your stock clutch. Trust someone who has been there done that.
Don't consider replacing your clutch until you blow it, and even then, replace it with a stock one.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME

Last edited by Elff; 09-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in