Turbo Upgrade - THoughts or Suggestions - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
The DDM CLUTCH SUCKS!!
You will hate your car every time you have to start it from a dead stop in first gear.
I installed the DDM clutch when I replaced my engine last winter. It is almost an on/off switch when first installed. I feel like the clutch has an extremely long break in period (or maybe learning curve). After about 5,000 miles it gets alot easier (or maybe you just GIT GUD). If all you do is drive around town and cruise in the car I say skip the clutch and just stick with stock. But if you drive aggressively on twisty roads then you will like it. It makes rev match down shifting alot smoother and easier. Also the RPM hang on up shifts is significantly reduced. Those two factors were enough for me to keep the clutch and just deal with it on my daily commute. Also NVH is increased as well. I have about 14,000 miles of driving on the setup so far.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post

Stick with your stock clutch. Trust someone who has been there done that.
Don't consider replacing your clutch until you blow it, and even then, replace it with a stock one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
I installed the DDM clutch when I replaced my engine last winter. It is almost an on/off switch when first installed. I feel like the clutch has an extremely long break in period (or maybe learning curve). After about 5,000 miles it gets alot easier (or maybe you just GIT GUD). If all you do is drive around town and cruise in the car I say skip the clutch and just stick with stock. But if you drive aggressively on twisty roads then you will like it. It makes rev match down shifting alot smoother and easier. Also the RPM hang on up shifts is significantly reduced. Those two factors were enough for me to keep the clutch and just deal with it on my daily commute. Also NVH is increased as well. I have about 14,000 miles of driving on the setup so far.
I kind of side with KappaTarbo on this one. I replaced my clutch with a Spec Stage 3+ and the stock flywheel. if you go this kind of route, get an adjustible master cylinder too as I found the release point of the pedal needed to be adjusted when using that combination.

However, after the 500-1000 mile break in, I bet most folks wouldn't be able to tell if my clutch is stock or not. I'm at 266 whp (about 320 flywheel) and am on a 2.4 with the Redline turbo strapped to it. My power levels will be going up and I'm switching to the Spec flywheel to handle where I'm going power wise...or rather hope to.

I would agree though that for the power level you'll be at, the stock clutch will probably work just fine for daily driving. If you find it starts slipping, you may want to consider upgrading to something else when you replace it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
If you find it starts slipping, you may want to consider upgrading to something else when you replace it.
My car has 27,000 miles since I picked it up new 11 years ago. Due to some misguided (though entertaining) intermittent launch habits, it is starting to slip/chatter.

So...it will take me 3-5 years to put 5000 miles on a new clutch; the car is a sunshine-only driver for me and I live in Seattle, so mid-October through April it is mostly a garage decoration. If that's a real break-in number I'll ship it back. I did notice that the DDM web side says it's a Spec clutch, but the box says RAM?

Doing just the flywheel and clutch plate would be quite a bit less expensive...

2008 Red Line
D30 Override red on red
Three pedals
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
K04 Big Wheel Turbo
Solo Street Race exhaust
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
However, after the 500-1000 mile break in, I bet most folks wouldn't be able to tell if my clutch is stock or not.
With the DDM clutch you can definitely tell its not stock. It will stall very quickly if you are not ready for the very fast "grab" of the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
I did notice that the DDM web site says it's a Spec clutch, but the box says RAM?
The Flywheel is Spec, the clutch disc is RAM, and the pressure plate is Exedy. At least that is what I received. I assume they did this mix and match style so that the clutch actuator didn't need a spacer but I'm not actually sure.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
With the DDM clutch you can definitely tell its not stock. It will stall very quickly if you are not ready for the very fast "grab" of the clutch.
That's probably because I'm on the OEM flywheel but with the Spec Stage 3+ clutch. I'm sure when I go to the lighter Spec Flywheel it won't feel stock either. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hello, I have a gt2871 ddmworks turbo upgrade for sale...and a lot of parts...
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran del Amo View Post
Is if for the NA? Do you have pics and is it used? How much?

2007 base Sky
Purchased 5/12/18 with 37K-not a scratch
Live in N. NV
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
Is if for the NA? Do you have pics and is it used? How much?
It CAN be for the 2.4 engine (LE5) IF you've done a turbo kit like mine on it already that uses all the parts from the 2.0 Turbo engine (LNF). This turbo is a direct swap for the stock K04 Turbo found on the LNF but if you have a stock LE5, you would need this turbo plus all the other parts necessary to put a turbo on the LE5.

To find out what else you'd need, see this thread:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...rbo-le5-68089/

At the top of the second page of that thread is a list of all the parts you'd need to put a kit like this together yourself (or just buy it completely from RPM Motorsports and save the hassle of looking for everything...)

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran del Amo View Post
You should create a new post in the For Sale section with some details and prices
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
It CAN be for the 2.4 engine (LE5) IF you've done a turbo kit like mine on it already that uses all the parts from the 2.0 Turbo engine (LNF). This turbo is a direct swap for the stock K04 Turbo found on the LNF but if you have a stock LE5, you would need this turbo plus all the other parts necessary to put a turbo on the LE5.

To find out what else you'd need, see this thread:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...rbo-le5-68089/

At the top of the second page of that thread is a list of all the parts you'd need to put a kit like this together yourself (or just buy it completely from RPM Motorsports and save the hassle of looking for everything...)
You say you did it for $1000 but the list of all the parts is over 6K. I know you got stuff for free but do you think you can build your own system for less than RPM charges for the bolt on?

2007 base Sky
Purchased 5/12/18 with 37K-not a scratch
Live in N. NV
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
You say you did it for $1000 but the list of all the parts is over 6K. I know you got stuff for free but do you think you can build your own system for less than RPM charges for the bolt on?
Honestly, I don't think you can unless you get very lucky. My list was all at MSRP so if you can get the parts for far less (or free) then maybe but really RPM's kit is the least expensive kit unless you get really lucky.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
I know after I get to the track one more time with mine this spring (hopefully I'll get low 13's after the hfc) instead of going the bigger turbo route I'm going to go with the e47 ethanol tune! I wonder why most folks who like the performance of their trifecta tunes, but "think it needs a little more" don't just try the e47 route. From everything I've read it really does seem to hit the spot for most. I do understand those that don't have ethanol, but for the ones that do it really seems like a good choice!

I've seen dynos in the 330-350 range and torque all the way in the 400 ft lbs range. I already know that will be all that I'll ever need on mine. It should also hopefully get me in the 12's with stockish (non drag radial) tires (I'm hoping anyway). That's all I really ever wanted for my car.

These turbo upgrades seem like they would typically be overkill if folks only think their trifecta tuned kappas just need a "little more umpf." Maybe it's just me I dunno...lol...
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I know after I get to the track one more time with mine this spring (hopefully I'll get low 13's after the hfc) instead of going the bigger turbo route I'm going to go with the e47 ethanol tune! I wonder why most folks who like the performance of their trifecta tunes, but "think it needs a little more" don't just try the e47 route. From everything I've read it really does seem to hit the spot for most. I do understand those that don't have ethanol, but for the ones that do it really seems like a good choice!

I've seen dynos in the 330-350 range and torque all the way in the 400 ft lbs range. I already know that will be all that I'll ever need on mine. It should also hopefully get me in the 12's with stockish (non drag radial) tires (I'm hoping anyway). That's all I really ever wanted for my car.

These turbo upgrades seem like they would typically be overkill if folks only think their trifecta tuned kappas just need a "little more umpf." Maybe it's just me I dunno...lol...
E45 is a pain in the butt for most people is why it's not as popular. You can't go up to a gas station and fill with E47 to my knowledge, you have to blend it. This means that you need to only fill your tank when it's almost empty or be extra festidigeous when filling to get the two quantities of fuel just right. Hard? No, but far more work than your average person is willing to do on a regular basis. Even meth turns most folks off as it has to be refilled.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
There is another view on this, but I don't want to get banned over it.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
There is another view on this, but I don't want to get banned over it.
Meaning don't touch it?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in