Turbo Upgrade - THoughts or Suggestions - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Garage
Meaning if you personally don't have the ability to fix it, make it work, it most likely never will. I have been fighting it for over a year now. The only real answer is to pull all the crap off the car and throw in in the trash, that is the only way, but the possibility of internal damage done from this will most likely rear its ugly head then.

I ran into several people at the National that had the exact same problems with their Turbo upgrades and their clutch upgrade. The vendor just shruggs his shoulders and walks away, it has happened to me twice, you would think after the first bend over I would have learned. Tread carefully.
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Skersfan, reading your thread is what made me feel that way. I'd much rather have to use two different pumps half and half at fill up than to have to go through the nightmare that you are going through!

That is a pain! Regarding the clutch...once I stopped trying to be cute and just bought the spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel I've had no problems! If recommend to anyone to just go with my setup if they need to hold the power.

Mix and match clutch kits are a crapshoot. He'll it was a nightmare When I tried to go the spec stage 3 and stock flywheel route. The machining on the stock flywheel was just a hair off and my clutch would slip for the first 500 rpms in every gear before finally holding.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
If you have access to E85 its super easy to blend it.
Just add the same amount of 93 Octane and E85 everytime.
If you get caught at a non E85 gas station and are empty juat flip to a 93 OctAne tune until you can reblend.
When first going for the mix, you can err on putting a little too much E85. Wont hurt if the Octane is too high and if its only 1 gallon off, it wont affect fuel delivery

The problem with E85 is the fuel injectors. The stock seals need to be replaced or they will eventually fail.
Thats not an easy job for some people, but its really not hard.

Also need to be careful with the stock valve springs and high revs.

Personally I loved my 2871 kit. It was as easy to maintain as stock. I did have help from a super talented Tuner, but he is no longer doing that.

The completely crappy EFR kit and crappy engine build was the ultimate downfall of my Sky. I am with Skersfan
Stay away from that vendor

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:28 PM

What vendor are we talking about?
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
What vendor are we talking about?
I know that Elff is talking about us.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
That would be correct.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
If you have access to E85 its super easy to blend it.
Just add the same amount of 93 Octane and E85 everytime.
If you get caught at a non E85 gas station and are empty juat flip to a 93 OctAne tune until you can reblend.
When first going for the mix, you can err on putting a little too much E85. Wont hurt if the Octane is too high and if its only 1 gallon off, it wont affect fuel delivery

The problem with E85 is the fuel injectors. The stock seals need to be replaced or they will eventually fail.
Thats not an easy job for some people, but its really not hard.

Also need to be careful with the stock valve springs and high revs.
Like I said, not hard but most folks just would rather not mess with it and for me personally, unless there is some sort of fail safe (lower boost, different tune, etc) I wouldn't want to run a car tuned for E45 or E85 on 93 (or worse, 91 like we have here). That's been one of the big factors keeping me away from E85. For the 2.4 I can throw bigger injectors on it so I could run straight E85 but we don't have a lot of stations around here with it yet on my commute to make me comfortable with switching it entirely (my injector seals and return lines are all E85 ready).

Now, if I could find an easy way to switch between an E85 tune and a 91 tune without changing injectors or reflashing the car, I'd be in.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Like I said, not hard but most folks just would rather not mess with it and for me personally, unless there is some sort of fail safe (lower boost, different tune, etc) I wouldn't want to run a car tuned for E45 or E85 on 93 (or worse, 91 like we have here). That's been one of the big factors keeping me away from E85. For the 2.4 I can throw bigger injectors on it so I could run straight E85 but we don't have a lot of stations around here with it yet on my commute to make me comfortable with switching it entirely (my injector seals and return lines are all E85 ready).

Now, if I could find an easy way to switch between an E85 tune and a 91 tune without changing injectors or reflashing the car, I'd be in.
If the Trifeca tune can be switched between stock and the performance tune, why couldn't that be done with a E47 and 91 octane tune?
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
If the Trifeca tune can be switched between stock and the performance tune, why couldn't that be done with a E47 and 91 octane tune?
Trifecta will set up a E47 tune and a 91 octane tune for you, but it requires you to flash the car for each tune, it can not be done in the same manner as the select-a-tune option like the base tunes have.

If you want that little something more, water/meth works almost as well as E85. With the water/meth controllers we set up the output of the controller to ground the boost solenoid on the factory turbo if it runs out of fluid or if there is a fault. That way when you run out, the system reverts back to spring pressure on the K04 and causes a check engine light to come up. Once you refill the fluid or fix the fault, turn the key off and back on and the system goes back to working like normal. We have tuned a lot of the systems now using -20 windshield washer fluid which is cheap and available at most gas stations, except for those of you in the southwest. Works well and does not affect your gas mileage like E85 plus it adds the benefit of keeping your intake valves cleaner. Just another option to consider.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Trifecta will set up a E47 tune and a 91 octane tune for you, but it requires you to flash the car for each tune, it can not be done in the same manner as the select-a-tune option like the base tunes have.

If you want that little something more, water/meth works almost as well as E85. With the water/meth controllers we set up the output of the controller to ground the boost solenoid on the factory turbo if it runs out of fluid or if there is a fault. That way when you run out, the system reverts back to spring pressure on the K04 and causes a check engine light to come up. Once you refill the fluid or fix the fault, turn the key off and back on and the system goes back to working like normal. We have tuned a lot of the systems now using -20 windshield washer fluid which is cheap and available at most gas stations, except for those of you in the southwest. Works well and does not affect your gas mileage like E85 plus it adds the benefit of keeping your intake valves cleaner. Just another option to consider.
This is why I've been leaning more towards going meth if my next round of upgrades aren't enough. I understand with the 2.4 ECM it's a bit different but my boost controller is setup to work with a meth controller.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
Say someone did want to add a water/meth system... what are the best options out there right now? Most of the threads on it are 10 years old, and I have to think that controllers have come a long way since then. The idea that a fail safe if you run out of fluid really peaked my interest.

I watch the Race Proven Motorsports YouTube channel for fun, but they install a lot of meth systems and have their own pieced together system available for $1,000 (https://race-proven-motorsports.mysh...tem-parts-only) but I doubt the tank that they use would fit anywhere in the car. Anyone have any feelings on the parts that they use, as you can buy a "fender mount" version of the ProMeth kit that would probably fit in the trunk easily. Or maybe this should be it's own thread...
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Say someone did want to add a water/meth system... what are the best options out there right now? Most of the threads on it are 10 years old, and I have to think that controllers have come a long way since then. The idea that a fail safe if you run out of fluid really peaked my interest.

I watch the Race Proven Motorsports YouTube channel for fun, but they install a lot of meth systems and have their own pieced together system available for $1,000 (https://race-proven-motorsports.mysh...tem-parts-only) but I doubt the tank that they use would fit anywhere in the car. Anyone have any feelings on the parts that they use, as you can buy a "fender mount" version of the ProMeth kit that would probably fit in the trunk easily. Or maybe this should be it's own thread...
Could be but at the same time since we've opened this thread to alternatives to bigger turbos it may not be that far off topic. I don't think this should become a discussion as to the nuances between different meth systems but if someone wants to post suggestions or for tank options I don't think that's too far out there.

I've heard many (Not necessarily Sky owners) use their washer fluid tanks as a meth kit since you can run 20% washer fluid and water as a solution. Kind of make it do double duty.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 AM

Not to mention using the washer fluid resivoir gives you the notification when it's low.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Could be but at the same time since we've opened this thread to alternatives to bigger turbos it may not be that far off topic. I don't think this should become a discussion as to the nuances between different meth systems but if someone wants to post suggestions or for tank options I don't think that's too far out there.

I've heard many (Not necessarily Sky owners) use their washer fluid tanks as a meth kit since you can run 20% washer fluid and water as a solution. Kind of make it do double duty.
Almost every install we have done on the Solstice/Sky with Water/Meth has used the windshield washer reservoir for the tank. We keep the windshield washer pump hooked up and the reservoir does double duty, that is why we also typically tune the Water/Meth using the -20 windshield washer fluid as you can use it to keep your windshield clean and your engine making more power.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Not to mention using the washer fluid resivoir gives you the notification when it's low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Almost every install we have done on the Solstice/Sky with Water/Meth has used the windshield washer reservoir for the tank. We keep the windshield washer pump hooked up and the reservoir does double duty, that is why we also typically tune the Water/Meth using the -20 windshield washer fluid as you can use it to keep your windshield clean and your engine making more power.
Really does make the most sense.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in