Backup Camera was not meant to Be - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Garage
Backup Camera was not meant to Be

I purchased the 2011 Arcadia mirror with screen and backup camera. I took all instructions to an installer...it failed. Took it to another installer with instructions. It also failed. Called Hoosier (Glen) and had him speak with my installer. He was on the cell for over an hour...pictures, you name it. Hoosier is terrific....although the installation failed. I will not be installing a backup mirror in my SKY. It was not meant to be. If anyone is interested in the Gentex 657...50 dollars plus shipping. UGH!

Thank u HOOSIER. You know your stuff. You were terrific today.

Last edited by marlboromike; 10-19-2017 at 10:09 PM.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'll take it. Let me know how much for shipping to 40515.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I'll take it. Let me know how much for shipping to 40515.
have to go to ups and ask...and if u get it to work...let me know how u did your pin set up.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Damn, MM, you should've asked!

The LCD Mirror I used in my car is from a Cadillac SRX, but I would be pretty sure it's wired the same. Below is my wiring comparison - original Sol harness on the left, vs. the wires reqd for the LCD mirror on the right. You will have to swap some wires around in the mirror connector (as well as ADD wires for the camera input and Accessory 12V)...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HarnessComparison.gif
Views:	1603
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	96994  
marlboromike likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 10-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
That is terrific...but I am finished....

John...it is 15 dollars for Postage. A total of 65 dollars...call me. Sent u a PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
tracking number sent
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I want to put a LCD mirror in my GPX Solstice. The stock mirror just has two wires (Blue and Gray). No On-Star, no buttons, just map lights. Can this be done? I have an extra 16 pin plug. What donor mirror should I get? Has anybody done this swap successfully? Any specific back up camera to buy? Thanks for responding and advising.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKuhn View Post
I want to put a LCD mirror in my GPX Solstice. The stock mirror just has two wires (Blue and Gray). No On-Star, no buttons, just map lights. Can this be done? I have an extra 16 pin plug. What donor mirror should I get? Has anybody done this swap successfully? Any specific back up camera to buy? Thanks for responding and advising.
BC-30 Garmin backup camera is a good place to look.

My BC-30 WiFi camera does a good job. I do need to get used to the camera's view as it is new to me. But when I shift to reverse, the operation is flawless and the picture is clear.

I have two GPS units from Garmin (nuvi55LM & GarminDriveSmart51, both compatible with the BC-30). The existing front dash area only needs the new power cord used, which includes the WiFi module. This cord comes with the BC-30 (see product code below).

I paid a shop $50 to install the rear unit as it was more than I wanted to try and tackle. Thus, I don't have a video, but do have still shots of the results.

I found my BC-30 on eBay. If you pursue that source, you can be assured of the right unit (not an additional camera) by asking the seller if the PRODUCT CODE on the box is: 010-12242-10.

Do an Advanced Search under TOOLS from the top of this webpage and you will find under the topic that photos have been posted of the system.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKuhn View Post
You can do anything you want, just takes time, money and effort!

First you should read through this entire thread: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...install-39815/

But I will summarize some caveats and notes:

- This is not easy, so I hope you are comfortable with electrical work, running wires, general wiring and soldering.
- You will not find a donor mirror with map lights, so you will have to install and wire replacements. Easiest place is in the top window surround.
- Most (if not all) GM donor mirrors with come with OnStar buttons. Doesn't matter if they do, but they are there and looks odd if you don't have OnStar.
- You could get a non-GM mirror without OnStar, but would need a different connector with unknown pin wiring - so you'd need to research.
- You will need to wire the camera inputs, so may as well wire the camera in yourself too - all the way from the back. You can get a much cheaper eBay camera then, rather than Garmin as mentioned above.
- The LCD mirrors will usually come with auto-dim (which is GREAT!). But you'll need to wire in switched-accessory power to take advantage of this.

Good luck!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:23 PM

An option to running a camera wire from front to rear is to get a wireless adapter. I bought a Boss Audio (Model LPCWTR30) from AutoZone for about $70 to go with the LCD mirror that I got from Mike. The camera mounts to the license plate and comes with a wireless transmitter and receiver pair. I have only bench tested it, mainly to make sure that the mirror is OK, but it seems to work pretty well.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 11-07-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Price correction.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
An option to running a camera wire from front to rear is to get a wireless adapter. I bought a Boss Audio (Model LPCWTR30) from AutoZone for about $50 to go with the LCD mirror that I got from Mike. The camera mounts to the license plate and comes with a wireless transmitter and receiver pair. I have only bench tested it, mainly to make sure that the mirror is OK, but it seems to work pretty well.
Some pics with instructions...please.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Some pics with instructions...please.
The connection is fairly simple, which is a good thing because the kit came with no instructions, and some extra pieces. It is actually set up to be able to use wired or wireless.

Starting with the transmitter: The power cable has a red and a black wire in it. The red connects to the backup light and the black to ground. The RCA plug and the coaxial power plug connect to the camera, and the camera is screwed to the face of the license plate. The camera cable is about a foot long so that you can get the transmitter and the connectors into the body of the car, and the power cable is several feet long.

The receiver, assuming you are connecting to a mirror with LCD: The power cable has a red and a black wire in it. The red connects to the backup light signal that also goes to the mirror, and the black connects to ground. The RCA plug gets connected to the mirror. In my case I had a cable with an RCA plug, so I used a coupler. Alternatively you could use an RCA jack, or maybe even cut the plug off of the transmitter cable. The coaxial power plug is not used. The power cable is several feet long, and you can make the video cable about as long as you want, so placement of the receiver shouldn't be a problem

To go wired instead of wireless: The power cable has a red and a black wire in it. The red connects to the backup light and the black to ground. The coaxial power plug connects to the camera, and the camera is screwed to the face of the license plate. The long cable has an RCA plug and a red wire at each end. The RCA plugs connect the same way the ones on the transmitter and receiver do, and the red wire can be used to get the reverse signal to the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171106_194154282.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	97569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171106_194240694.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	97577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171106_194213411.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	97585  
marlboromike likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
what back up camera did u purchase John?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 AM

It is a Boss Audio (Model LPCWTR30): https://www.bossaudio.com/product/ca...udio-lpcwtr30/ I really have no idea if it is any good as a camera, I basically looked around for something that was available off-the-shelf, and that was it. Sitting on the bench it looks like a decent image, but I won't know until I put it in the car, maybe this weekend.

John
Lexington, KY
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 AM

I tried a Pyle (I think) wireless camera a couple of years ago that I bought from Autozone. It was fine in the garage, but when in store parking lots it got tons of noise on the display - I assume from the store 'radar' door openers. I gave up on it.

Not to say that other brands/models will have the same problem, but I won't take the risk to bother with one again.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in