I want to put a LCD mirror in my GPX Solstice. The stock mirror just has two wires (Blue and Gray). No On-Star, no buttons, just map lights. Can this be done? I have an extra 16 pin plug. What donor mirror should I get? Has anybody done this swap successfully? Any specific back up camera to buy? Thanks for responding and advising.
You can do anything you want, just takes time, money and effort!
First you should read through this entire thread: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...install-39815/
But I will summarize some caveats and notes:
- This is not easy, so I hope you are comfortable with electrical work, running wires, general wiring and soldering.
- You will not find a donor mirror with map lights, so you will have to install and wire replacements. Easiest place is in the top window surround.
- Most (if not all) GM donor mirrors with come with OnStar buttons. Doesn't matter if they do, but they are there and looks odd if you don't have OnStar.
- You could get a non-GM mirror without OnStar, but would need a different connector with unknown pin wiring - so you'd need to research.
- You will need to wire the camera inputs, so may as well wire the camera in yourself too - all the way from the back. You can get a much cheaper eBay camera then, rather than Garmin as mentioned above.
- The LCD mirrors will usually come with auto-dim (which is GREAT!). But you'll need to wire in switched-accessory power to take advantage of this.