Is it expensive to maintain a 2007 Saturn Sky - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it expensive to maintain a 2007 Saturn Sky

I’m planning to buy a 2007 Saturn Sky but I know nothing about the maintenance cost.
Luan Pham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Depends on what you mean by maintain and expensive...... is it a Redline or an NA???? The following list pertains mostly to Redline (turbo), but can happen to NA....

A few things to note.....

Waterpump usually goes around the 50k-60k mark...$1400-$1800 at the dealer (both cars)
HPFP can go after 80k....about $700 at dealer (Redline)
Timing chain after 80k and especially on early '07 as the guides were inferior and weak....$2k+ at dealer.... (Redline)
Valves cake up with carbon as do all DI motors....usually around 80k, some sooner, some later....price: unknown....(Redline)
Camshaft solenoids: any mileage $79/each (2 of them) very easy repair
Oil changes in Redline must be full synthetic...$80
Fuel in Redline must be premium...no regular!!
All of these cars are getting to the age where they're going to need new TPMS sensors...$60/each (Both)
All of the fluids should have been changed and most should be on the second round coming up (brake, steering, trans, diff, oil, coolant) about $1000 (both)
Battery lasts about 4 to 7 years....$100 if you do it yourself...$250 for dealer (Both)

Now this being said, these are what are very common on most of these cars. Is it meant to scare you? No. It's meant to prepare you. I'm the Debbie-Downer of the group and my glass is never full!! Are they fun cars? ABSOLUTELY!!! Would I recommend one? Yes, if it's a second or third car, not primary, and you have the means should something arise.... They are quirky little cars...but what car isn't? Main questions to ask a seller....

Has the waterpump been replaced? If so, when?
Has every oil change been full synthetic? (redline)
If it is a Redline, has it been tuned?
Original tires?
Original battery? (just replaced mine this year and it's an '08)

There are many more things to look for, but in all, they are terrific little cars and a blast to drive...not too mention attention getters...
The_Ghost is offline  
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:57 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
marlboromike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 17,228
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Depends on what you mean by maintain and expensive...... is it a Redline or an NA???? The following list pertains mostly to Redline (turbo), but can happen to NA....

A few things to note.....


Timing chain after 80k and especially on early '07 as the guides were inferior and weak....$2k+ at dealer.... (Redline).
Where did u get your info?..first time I have heard this....I have an 06 NA build...of course only 40K on it but would like to know more about the timing chain.
marlboromike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Working in the dealer world, you hear/learn things. Furthermore, I've been a lurker on the Cobalt SS forum for over 5 years because most here don't have the mileage on their cars, nor do most push their cars/tunes like they do over there...so you learn a lot. Like, WP aren't an issue over there on the LNF. But HPFP are.... I have a thread going over there right now because nobody here or on the Solstice forum can answer some questions for me about what causes a Commanded AFR to run really rich...so I'm getting schooled over there and have some help.... People here have tried, and I'm greatful for that, but couldn't answer some of the questions I had...so I went to plan B. Also the ATS forum is really good too....because they have all sorts of information on the LDK, LNF, LTG (e85 freindly) and LHU.

Anyway, the early '07 timing chain guide issue has been known for a while. It's been talked about in several threads on the Solstice forum as well.... (I think it's early '07....might be '08...now that I think about it, I'm not too certain which year it was...)

**** One thing to note that this pertains to the turbo cars only!!
marlboromike likes this.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 09-07-2019 at 10:10 AM.
The_Ghost is offline  
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Draike13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Depends on what you mean by maintain and expensive...... is it a Redline or an NA???? The following list pertains mostly to Redline (turbo), but can happen to NA....

A few things to note.....

Waterpump usually goes around the 50k-60k mark...$1400-$1800 at the dealer (both cars)
HPFP can go after 80k....about $700 at dealer (Redline)
Timing chain after 80k and especially on early '07 as the guides were inferior and weak....$2k+ at dealer.... (Redline)
Valves cake up with carbon as do all DI motors....usually around 80k, some sooner, some later....price: unknown....(Redline)
Camshaft solenoids: any mileage $79/each (2 of them) very easy repair
Oil changes in Redline must be full synthetic...$80
Fuel in Redline must be premium...no regular!!
All of these cars are getting to the age where they're going to need new TPMS sensors...$60/each (Both)
All of the fluids should have been changed and most should be on the second round coming up (brake, steering, trans, diff, oil, coolant) about $1000 (both)
Battery lasts about 4 to 7 years....$100 if you do it yourself...$250 for dealer (Both)

Now this being said, these are what are very common on most of these cars. Is it meant to scare you? No. It's meant to prepare you. I'm the Debbie-Downer of the group and my glass is never full!! Are they fun cars? ABSOLUTELY!!! Would I recommend one? Yes, if it's a second or third car, not primary, and you have the means should something arise.... They are quirky little cars...but what car isn't? Main questions to ask a seller....

Has the waterpump been replaced? If so, when?
Has every oil change been full synthetic? (redline)
If it is a Redline, has it been tuned?
Original tires?
Original battery? (just replaced mine this year and it's an '08)

There are many more things to look for, but in all, they are terrific little cars and a blast to drive...not too mention attention getters...
This information looks WAY scarier than it actually is...
First off, if you have any mechanical know-how, or are good at learning working on this car is very easy and enjoyable. Most of the time.

Water Pump, entire kit to replace yourself(which ive done, easy job) $65 for ACDelco on Amazon.
Timing Chain kit(also did at the same time), $55 ACDelco on Amazon.
Camshaft Solenoids(intake AND exhaust), $25 together on Amazon.
Ive not replaced my Fuel Pump yet, but I do know that performance Autowerks sells an improved one for $160, just came across it recently. and Fuel pumps are VERY easy to replace.
Get an early 07 model like mine and you wont have TPMS to worry about. lol
Fluids...just do yourself, save some money
and im not sure where you are buying your oil...but you can get a 5qt of Royal Purple off Amazon for $35 now, and a wiccs filter, for $10-15. And for me at least, its even cheaper local.

Maintenance is all about what you can do and what you have to have done. Don't be afraid to do research and figure out how to do the work yourself. If you think you can do it, go save some money. I am 100% self taught, and ive had 0 problems doing this work.
Draike13 is offline  
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
marlboromike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 17,228
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draike13 View Post
This information looks WAY scarier than it actually is...
First off, if you have any mechanical know-how, or are good at learning working on this car is very easy and enjoyable. Most of the time.

Water Pump, entire kit to replace yourself(which ive done, easy job) $65 for ACDelco on Amazon.
Timing Chain kit(also did at the same time), $55 ACDelco on Amazon.
Camshaft Solenoids(intake AND exhaust), $25 together on Amazon.
Ive not replaced my Fuel Pump yet, but I do know that performance Autowerks sells an improved one for $160, just came across it recently. and Fuel pumps are VERY easy to replace.
Get an early 07 model like mine and you wont have TPMS to worry about. lol
Fluids...just do yourself, save some money
and im not sure where you are buying your oil...but you can get a 5qt of Royal Purple off Amazon for $35 now, and a wiccs filter, for $10-15. And for me at least, its even cheaper local.

Maintenance is all about what you can do and what you have to have done. Don't be afraid to do research and figure out how to do the work yourself. If you think you can do it, go save some money. I am 100% self taught, and ive had 0 problems doing this work.
Nothing like EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING.....sometimes.
marlboromike is offline  
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Draike13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Nothing like EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING.....sometimes.
Just have to learn enough to be confident you wont damage anything. and none of those jobs are anything difficult.

That, and saved enough on labor on this car already to go buy another one. lol.
marlboromike likes this.
Draike13 is offline  
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draike13 View Post
This information looks WAY scarier than it actually is...


Water Pump, entire kit to replace yourself(which ive done, easy job) $65 for ACDelco on Amazon.
Timing Chain kit(also did at the same time), $55 ACDelco on Amazon.
Camshaft Solenoids(intake AND exhaust), $25 together on Amazon.
Your timing chain was just that, a chain...nothing else at $55 right? Unless it was Chinese garbage. Because Cloyes is $105 and $92 for the entire kit of sprockets, guides and chain for both timing and balancer...so you couldn't have done your balancer for that price.... And your balancer chain is what runs the WP and usually is the part where the guides fail...not the timing chain on the 2.0L. I couldn't find anything less then about $200 for both kits from ACDelco.....so I'm guessing it was just the chain, which isn't really what fails..it's more the guides and tensioners that fail.
The_Ghost is offline  
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Draike13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Your timing chain was just that, a chain...nothing else at $55 right? Unless it was Chinese garbage. Because Cloyes is $105 and $92 for the entire kit of sprockets, guides and chain for both timing and balancer...so you couldn't have done your balancer for that price.... And your balancer chain is what runs the WP and usually is the part where the guides fail...not the timing chain on the 2.0L. I couldn't find anything less then about $200 for both kits from ACDelco.....so I'm guessing it was just the chain, which isn't really what fails..it's more the guides and tensioners that fail.
guides and all, whole kit. Check amazon. they carry ACDelco parts a lot cheaper than a lot of places. It very well may have been on a sale when I got it, but it definitely wasn't some $200 plus.

And looking now, I definitely must have gotten it ordered unrealizing it was on a good sale. Because im seeing them close to $130 or more now. damn

Last edited by Draike13; 09-07-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Draike13 is offline  
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I just did my chain last weekend. I think the whole kit (guides, tensioner, chain, sprockets) was indeed 130. The entire front of the engine (fan, belt drive, etc) needs to be removed but it can easily be done in a day. $2K from a dealer strikes me as scary high.

Engine parts for these cars are pretty cheap. A lot of the components have been shared across multiple ecotec 4cyls. For example, I didnt realize that cam bolts were torque to yeild. My local advance auto had a set on the shelf since they are used across the ecotec range.

edit: I used AC Delco parts, not a knockoff. I would also recommend Cloyes, have used them in the past and they make decent products.
Draike13 likes this.
Rockchops is offline  
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
wspohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
I wish manufacturers wouldn't integrate water pump drives into the engine.

I've been involved in water pump changes on engines like the original Lotus twin cam, which had the pump built into the front timing case, so the whole front of the engine had to come off to service it.

Best version are the pumps that are self contained so they just unbolt and bolt on (my DOHC MG engines and the early Lamborghini did that). I guess they save a bit of engine length by integrating them in the cover but it makes later servicing a horror show.

While we are at it, I don't know why so many engines opt for a simplex timing chain. A duplex design takes up very little more space, and are far more reliable, as well as less likely to wear as quickly. But I guess that at least they are better than timing belts that destroy the top end of your engine when they let go if you happen to have an 'interference' engine.
Draike13 likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline  
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
To respond to the original question: My experience so far has been that the car is not expensive to maintain. The only significant issue I have encountered is the water pump replacement. I paid to get it done and it is not a problem now. Other than that, it is just minor wear and tear stuff that I have been able to do easily myself.

The lights are all easy to replace. The battery is easy (the fender panel removal and reinstallation is simple). There are lots of "parts bin" things that are shared with other GM cars.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line, Midnight Blue
Knight is offline  
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Senior Member

 
Rusty Boltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I wish manufacturers wouldn't integrate water pump drives into the engine.

I've been involved in water pump changes on engines like the original Lotus twin cam, which had the pump built into the front timing case, so the whole front of the engine had to come off to service it.

Best version are the pumps that are self contained so they just unbolt and bolt on (my DOHC MG engines and the early Lamborghini did that). I guess they save a bit of engine length by integrating them in the cover but it makes later servicing a horror show.

While we are at it, I don't know why so many engines opt for a simplex timing chain. A duplex design takes up very little more space, and are far more reliable, as well as less likely to wear as quickly. But I guess that at least they are better than timing belts that destroy the top end of your engine when they let go if you happen to have an 'interference' engine.
MONEY! If they can save a nickel per car, and they build thousands, that's a lot of money. They don't care if it costs you more later.


07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Rusty Boltz is offline  
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Moderator
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 4,798
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I wish manufacturers wouldn't integrate water pump drives into the engine.
Sometimes what seems like a really good idea on paper turns out to be a problem. Although in defense of the design, only longitudinal (and primarily turbo) engines experience significant failure rates.
A pump ported directly to the head and tang-driven would be ideal, I think. Remove two or three bolts, pop it off the head, replace a couple of o-rings and bolt the new one back on.
Quote:
While we are at it, I don't know why so many engines opt for a simplex timing chain. A duplex design takes up very little more space, and are far more reliable, as well as less likely to wear as quickly. But I guess that at least they are better than timing belts that destroy the top end of your engine when they let go if you happen to have an 'interference' engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
MONEY! If they can save a nickel per car, and they build thousands, that's a lot of money. They don't care if it costs you more later.
Like most design and manufacturing decisions this one isn't quite so simplistic. Yes, cost plays a part, but design-to-function is also a factor.

Whether simplex or duplex, the chain drive is designed for the load it is expected to be under. Modern valve gear requires less energy to operate, so a simplex drive can be used. The duplex chain is heavier, as are the duplex sprockets, so by going simplex the drive can be correspondingly lighter. And lighter is a good thing when talking about rotating mass in an engine because we all know that reducing rotating mass helps the engine rev faster and use less energy. Looking at pictures of failed sprockets it appears that they were not properly heat treated. The sprocket really should out-live the chain, although they should generally wear pretty much together.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
JohnWR is offline  
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
wspohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Whether simplex or duplex, the chain drive is designed for the load it is expected to be under. Modern valve gear requires less energy to operate, so a simplex drive can be used. The duplex chain is heavier, as are the duplex sprockets, so by going simplex the drive can be correspondingly lighter.
The wear on a simplex is double or (some think) more, and the added mass is insignificant. The usual reason for going to single chain is cheapness (MGBs used simplex on their last models, but duplex all the way back on everything else).

Thinking cynically, maybe the Kappa designers thought of using a longer lasting duplex arrangement until someone spoke up and said "Naw, there's no point - something else will break long before the chain does...."

But the lightness motive is still there. Lotus used simplex, but you have to change them at double the interval that would be required for a duplex, thus allowing slightly lower costing at the factory, plus a small continuing revenue stream for dealers and mechanics....

Chapman went so crazy on lightness that the guys I used to race with in vintage told me that no one ran an original chassis in their Lotus sports racer - they were calculated to last a race season (at most), and anyone that tried to continue on a factory chassis in later decades inevitably regretted the decision.

Quote:
“Simplify, then add lightness”, he said.
It was his philosophy, way before ‘minimalism’ became fashionable.

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights; subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”, was another of Chapman’s premises.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline  
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










« I did it! | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome