Looking at getting a Sky. What are the differences betwwen 07, 08 and 09? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
I have the electric seat. The difference between up and down isn't very much. Don't let the lack of one stop you from buying the car.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
@TomatoSoup and @JohnWR are our resident electrical experts on the platform. Maybe they have insight into the difficulty of wiring but like Rusty mentioned, the difference isn't huge.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The back recline angle and front to rear position are both manual and yes are standard on all model years. Non-electric seat height seats did not have a height adjustment. The height of the non-adjustable height seats is the same as the lowest setting on the height adjustable seats.
Heavenly days!! Since I bought the '09 Coupe with electric seat, I still DID NOT realize there was a forward travel of a great deal of movement, forward and backward.

My wife had me convinced she could not drive the Coupe because she couldn't reach the accelerator pedal. Psst....she thinks I'm too particular with both cars and doesn't want to bruise either one or be blamed for such (could be right on that one). In addition, I bought the Coupe because it HAD an electric seat in hopes she could drive it. :- ((

THANKS, ROBO! A nice clear explanation finally sunk in with me. Here all this while, some 6 months, I actually thought the electric seat was only movement, up and down. The problem is solved and now we need to take it for some drives while I ride shotgun.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I believe the tire monitoring system was added in 2008. in retrospect when I bought our 2nd Kappa I would have bought an 09 mainly because most of the bugs had been worked out of the platform, and features that were optional on earlier years may have been standard by 09.

Also, I know you want a 2.4, however I think you should consider a turbo (and a manual). The reason being that turbo's w/manual transmissions will more than likely be more desirable and therefore easier to sell when it comes time to do so.

Also, SKY's were considered a more upscale version of the Solstice and cost more than a like optioned Solstice. That still true when it comes to used values. When it comes to options most dealers loaded them up to make as much profit as possible.

Here's a couple examples from Hemmings, though they tend to be on the higher side because they cater to collectors and auto enthusiasts.
2007, 2.4, manual, silver, cloth seats, 7,200 Miles, $18,500 negotiable
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=11

2009, 2.4, Manual, One year only blue, 20,609 miles, $14,995
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...y/1992085.html

I've been taking the summer off from posting high and low Skys, but I continue to stalk Craigslist on a daily basis. But once fall arrives I probably will start posting again. FWIW, I haven't been finding much of anything to post from Craigslist, but that might be due to Craigslist search parameters seem to change from time to time.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-28-2017 at 06:35 PM.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My '07 NA does not have the wiring in place for the seat adjuster. It may be in the main harness, but I haven't had cause to look for it, so I don't know. The requirement is for one power wire and one ground, so it wouldn't be complicated, but a 20-amp source is not real easy to get, and the stock source is the underhood fuse block, so that isn't particularly easy to get to. The adjustable seat at its lowest actually seems a bit higher than the non-adjustable seat, but that is likely to be impression and not fact. I'll agree that lack of it shouldn't be a deal-breaker, even if you resort to carrying a cushion for the extra height.

Buying a car for resale value is just wrong in my opinion, if it means settling for or adapting to things you don't want. A manual transmission is generally better for back-country twisties, and I like doing the three-pedal dance, but even I wish for an auto sometimes in urban traffic. The RedLine will give you more power, but it will also give you a harsher ride and the need to run at least mid-grade fuel. In a manual car it also gives you a less-friendly clutch. All things considered I prefer to drive my NA, especially given its better handling on less-than-perfect roads, where the softer suspension helps it cope with uneven pavement.

Good luck in your search, buy what you like, and enjoy it as much as you can. And post pictures!

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with John in most of his comments. I would drive both, I think the Redline is a lot more car, but may bring some extra problems in the long run.

If you buy an automatic, learn how to use the automatic the way it was intended to be used in the twisties. The "I" gear makes it very competitive with the sticks, and way more fun to drive in traffic. I have two sticks and an auto. I always choose the auto to drive, just way more fun, plus it is faster in acceleration.

Buy what you like, you will see that special one, that will make you all warm and fuzzy, then the grin will start and it will continue to grow until you look like Howdy Doody!!!
HORNET1 likes this.
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting note about longevity.

Yesterday on the way home I see a Solstice on the side of the road. I pull over to see if I can offer assistance. He says he doesn't think so...one of the coolant lines to the heater core broke and he lost his coolant. Tow truck was on the way. He stated that between that, and a high pressure fuel pump (GXP turbo model), the car had been pretty reliable. It was an 09.

He then told me he had 230,000 miles on it! Looked a hell of a lot better than my 2004 Sierra truck with 222,000 on it, that's for sure.

So not sure if this is atypical or not but that's a lot of miles on an engine and seems to be doing well...other than heater hoses.
HORNET1 likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
The electric seats are actually very worthwhile. They give you the option of running the seat slightly forward off the back panel and then raking it back until it touches. That's the most comfortable combination (for me anyway) for driving.

Too bad they didn't have a set up like BMW - you can set up three different preset positions that can be selected by pressing a button - didn't the Cadillacs also have that? Too expensive for Kappas I guess.

One bit of advice to the OP - if you opt for an NA car, do yourself a very big favour and neither drive nor be driven in a turbo version EVER! If you do, you may well regret your decision.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'2"
I didn't tell her about the electric seat adjustment ... LOL !!!
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
The electric seats are actually very worthwhile. They give you the option of running the seat slightly forward off the back panel and then raking it back until it touches. That's the most comfortable combination (for me anyway) for driving.

Too bad they didn't have a set up like BMW - you can set up three different preset positions that can be selected by pressing a button - didn't the Cadillacs also have that? Too expensive for Kappas I guess.

One bit of advice to the OP - if you opt for an NA car, do yourself a very big favour and neither drive nor be driven in a turbo version EVER! If you do, you may well regret your decision.
I do not understand why you need the electric seat to be able to adjust it the way you describe. I have the identical setup in both cars, one with and one without the vertical adjustment.

My Equinox (a lowly Chevrolet, even) has the seat adjustment memory with two settings that are slaved to the fobs as well as the selector buttons. Sometimes we even use it.

I switch back and forth between NA and RL frequently without any ill effects or regrets. An advantage of being a lower-level driver, I guess.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
Heavenly days!! Since I bought the '09 Coupe with electric seat, I still DID NOT realize there was a forward travel of a great deal of movement, forward and backward.

My wife had me convinced she could not drive the Coupe because she couldn't reach the accelerator pedal. Psst....she thinks I'm too particular with both cars and doesn't want to bruise either one or be blamed for such (could be right on that one). In addition, I bought the Coupe because it HAD an electric seat in hopes she could drive it. :- ((

THANKS, ROBO! A nice clear explanation finally sunk in with me. Here all this while, some 6 months, I actually thought the electric seat was only movement, up and down. The problem is solved and now we need to take it for some drives while I ride shotgun.
I'm 6' and my wife is 5'2" she drives the sky with the seat very far forward (probably 6" from back of seat to waterfall. I have the seat all the way back.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My 2009 has an auxiliary jack for MP3 players and the like that I don't believe was available in earlier years. The owners manual has a section on USB 2.0 connectivity as well, although mine has no USB jack. Memory is foggy on the availability of Bluetooth connectivity. Mine has it, but it might be there on all years(?)

Robo is correct that there are no center console cup holders on the 2009. He's also correct that some find them useless. I'm one of those. Food and beverages are not permitted in the Sky!
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carrier View Post
My 2009 has an auxiliary jack for MP3 players and the like that I don't believe was available in earlier years. The owners manual has a section on USB 2.0 connectivity as well, although mine has no USB jack. Memory is foggy on the availability of Bluetooth connectivity. Mine has it, but it might be there on all years(?)

Robo is correct that there are no center console cup holders on the 2009. He's also correct that some find them useless. I'm one of those. Food and beverages are not permitted in the Sky!
I have the base US8 radio in my 2006 Solstice - it has the aux jack. It was on all radios in the kappas for all years, even the radios with the USB jack. Bluetooth was a 2009 option.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
I have the base US8 radio in my 2006 Solstice - it has the aux jack. It was on all radios in the kappas for all years, even the radios with the USB jack. Bluetooth was a 2009 option.

Ahh, right. I read the manual and must have misinterpreted it: "The radio system may have an auxiliary input jack...". Didn't think enough about how this was written. It was the Bluetooth that was the option. Old age is getting to me Or the perhaps.

post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carrier View Post
Ahh, right. I read the manual and must have misinterpreted it: "The radio system may have an auxiliary input jack...". Didn't think enough about how this was written. It was the Bluetooth that was the option. Old age is getting to me Or the perhaps.

I had to look it up in the printbooks, where they had pictures of the radios. I remembered the bluetooth part.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in