Not Crazy? Licensing EDAG Hardtop - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not Crazy? Licensing EDAG Hardtop

I love the EDAG hardtop. My blasted web browser ate a very eloquent post on this... but go Google it if you haven't seen it. This is SkyRoadster.com... I'm assuming we all have.

Only one was built. But, the CAD work was done, and it was done to GM spec.

Here's what I'm thinking: Calling up EDAG, finding those CAD files on some hard drive, and paying to license them. Then, have someone like Norm or a larger shop build 'em in batches.

We've seen Fieros turned into Jeeps... in batches, as a stocked product. I would pay $2,500 right now, on the spot for EDAG's hardtop - and I don't even own a Sky right now.

Not crazy? Discuss.

I am not actively using this site currently, but am active in other Kappa communities. Feel free to message me.

Last edited by ChrisPrice; 04-24-2014 at 07:10 AM.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Apparently you know nothing of GM nor of Norm.

Any money put into this would be squandered
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
An artist whether a painter or someone that works in fiberglass generally won't be interested in building someone elses creation. And besides, Norm has lots on his plate already!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I can see why only 1 was built IMHO, and no offense to the OP, that thing is hideous.... That Sky is no longer a roadster IMO..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM

I think they made more of these tops for the solstice. You might be able to mod one up to
a sky if you really wanted to. Since u don't have a sky, buy a solstice?

But to answer ur question...yes! You're crazy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

I did not mean to start a Norm debate - really I'm more focused on the viability of this one.

Modding a Solstice one won't work - plus there were only 80 or so made and impossible to come by. GM refused to dealer-option the accessory after the concept phase, so EDAG mothballed it all.

But to be a bean counter for a minute, it would be far cheaper to do this mod, even as a small batch order of 10 or so, than buying a Solstice Coupe... and more functional too.

With Sky's starting to brush up against the $10k mark - putting a couple grand in for a top mod is more logical because you don't have the bank-breaking initial cost of the car as much.

And please don't tell me to go buy an Astra... it would be semi-logical if they had dropped an LNF in one.

I am not actively using this site currently, but am active in other Kappa communities. Feel free to message me.

Last edited by ChrisPrice; 04-24-2014 at 09:26 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPrice View Post
I did not mean to start a Norm debate - really I'm more focused on the viability of this one.

Modding a Solstice one won't work - plus there were only 80 or so made and impossible to come by. GM refused to dealer-option the accessory after the concept phase, so EDAG mothballed it all.

But to be a bean counter for a minute, it would be far cheaper to do this mod, even as a small batch order of 10 or so, than buying a Solstice Coupe... and more functional too.

With Sky's starting to brush up against the $10k mark - putting a couple grand in for a top mod is more logical because you don't have the bank-breaking initial cost of the car as much.

And please don't tell me to go buy an Astra... it would be semi-logical if they had dropped an LNF in one.
People who buy 10k "sports cars" don't have the wallet usually to just throw a few grand at something like this. This is why I sold mine. Not worth sinking the value of the car back into it in mods just to sell it for less than a stock one would sell for.

Trust me. This is NOT a viable thing. If it was people like norm would have done it any been making money at it for a while.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It looks better in person and not in yellow, I've talked to EDAG all molds and data from that project were destroyed and it just luck and a clerical error that the top didn't get destroyed.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnite View Post
It looks better in person and not in yellow, I've talked to EDAG all molds and data from that project were destroyed and it just luck and a clerical error that the top didn't get destroyed.

I like it, it would be good for the rainy season, that's like two weeks a year out here. I like it better that the Solstice "Nomad" shaped top as it more closely fits the angles on the Sky. If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know, I'll take it off your hands.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Reminds me of the hideous AMC Pacer.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
Reminds me of the hideous AMC Pacer.
Funny, not even close. The Pacer looked like a bloated Yugo.

Last edited by Sky_Pilot; 04-25-2014 at 07:27 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnite View Post

ah you beat me to it I was going to brag I know the guy who has the top. he even won ride of the month on our humble little Facebook group

Driving an 08 Saturn Astra
To keep the miles off my garage queen (#58 of 89 Saturn Sky Hydro Blue Redline)
and contemplating Buying an old Opel GT
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
GM refused to dealer-option the accessory after the concept phase, so EDAG mothballed it all
Thank god they did. That top is an abortion and totally destroys the lines of the car.

Quote:
They basically did, they just didn't bring it stateside. The Astra OPC (Opel branded in Europe) had a Z20LEH 2.0L turbo Ecotec that was similar in architecture to the LNF and had comparable power levels.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I love the EDAG hardtop.
... I would pay $2,500 right now, on the spot for EDAG's hardtop - and I don't even own a Sky right now.

There was one on Atlanta's Craigs List for the past month for $2,000. I don't think it sold. So, you could post your own add in that section (maybe $1,500?), and then buy a Solstice afterwards.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut122 View Post
There was one on Atlanta's Craigs List for the past month for $2,000. I don't think it sold. So, you could post your own add in that section (maybe $1,500?), and then buy a Solstice afterwards.

I think the owner may have bought that Sol EDAG top when they were first available ($2499), and then never installed it. Several of us bought them when RevengeDesign liquidated EDAG inventory for around $500 to $600.

Seller also posted that EDAG told him only 20 Sol tops (and 1 SKY) were made, but RevengeDesign told me they had installed around 40 before they liquidated the tops. Windows are glass and not Plexiglass

I'll may eventually install mine if for no other reason than a different look. I know they are a love it or hate it design but pics don't do them justice, and they do look better in person.

Last edited by ChopTop; 07-08-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in