Sketchy Saturn Sky, Should I Buy? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sketchy Saturn Sky, Should I Buy?

Hello! I have been in love with these cars for years, but they've always been out of reach for me. I am 18 now, and I currently have a Pontiac Grand Prix that I am wanted to replace now. I found a Saturn Sky for sale, within my price range, but it has some dirty little secrets under its name. I am going to try and pursue it regardless of the issues that will be mentioned here, and I need advice and/or opinions.

It is a 2007 Saturn Sky base, and it's a soft top and silver. I love it. There is a catch though... it's been totaled. I ordered a carfax on it, and back in 2009 the car was totaled. It was obviously rebuilt, and continued to be driven for 8 more years. It has been through 6 owners (yikes!) and has about 100,000 miles on it. My father is leaning towards running far away from this thing, but I've rationalized with myself that since it's been driven so long it's gotta be fine. It also had a "minor to moderate" front end collision which a body shop repaired as well. The top looks good, interior, exterior, everything looks good. It's just "tainted" with the salvage title. I do not care about value, as I will drive it until the wheels fall off. Insurance won't be too bad based on quotes, but whether or not they'll insure this specific car is up to an inspection done by my insurance company. I also need to see if my bank/credit union will give me an auto loan for the car, which will be paid off within a year regardless of how long I finance it.

I really just need your all's opinions and advice. I know this is a gamble, I know it could put me through a lot of crap. I will get it inspected by a mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry it took so long to approve this. I've been having issues with accessing the forums and am the only one moderating actively. Hopefully someone will see this and be able to help you out.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
I have a totaled Sky that is as good as any other on the site. It runs perfectly and looks good. It depends on what you want to do with the car. I decided to make mine like new and put about 4K into it. I have a car that is virtually new from the windshield to the front bumper with a engine that had less than 100 miles on it. I had a total of 6K in the car, until we decided to have it wrapped.

100K on later model cars is not a terrible amount, just depends on how it was maintained during the 100K. How much are they asking for the car. I would guess around 4000 max.

Check the normal things, drive the car and see how it feels. Being a non turbo will help with the insurance I would think, but can not imagine an 18 year old in a sports car getting a good rate. Being a geezer has it benefits, but all of us would trade place with you. Hope it works out for you. These old geezers tell everyone the women flock after them because of their cars. Being 18 you may have to fight them off with a stick. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:12 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Garage
6 owners and 100K on it...and u r 18....absolutely not. Our cars r fragile...GM made these cars with the cheapest materials....cost engineering. Because of your age, emotional buying is your enemy. Yes, this car is attractive...but so is your AGE. We all wish we were starting at 18 again. i REMEMBER MY FIRST CAR...it cost much in repairs...it wasn't worth the aggravation. Best of luck. Choose wisely. I believe a Go Fund Me account is in your future. LOL
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Great car to cruise around in but for you using it as a daily driver would be totally impractical.
GJinNY likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Get a good pre purchase inspection by a local mechanic who is familiar with these. If that checks out, go for it. 6 owners is a red flag to me, it could be previous owners dumping the car after finding a major hidden issue. The salvage title isnt necessarily a huge red flag in itself, but cause for some additional homework.

I bought a completely impractical car when I was 18 and would do it all over again. I drove it for about 5-6 years until someone hit it in a snowstorm and totaled it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshines View Post
Great car to cruise around in but for you using it as a daily driver would be totally impractical.
Can't really say whether you should buy the car or not but I just wanted to reply to this comment. You absolutely can drive this car everyday. Mine has been my daily driver for 4.5 years and 70,000 miles. I drive it 50 miles round trip to work M-F. To me having a small car is a plus. When people ask for a ride I just tell them sorry no room. Also nobody ever asks me to haul anything for them haha.
Bryan Hilliard likes this.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
Can't really say whether you should buy the car or not but I just wanted to reply to this comment. You absolutely can drive this car everyday. Mine has been my daily driver for 4.5 years and 70,000 miles. I drive it 50 miles round trip to work M-F. To me having a small car is a plus. W
Agree. They are no more delicate than any modern complicated car is and are pretty reliable.

Unless the price is really good and you are prepared to walk away of it does fail you in any major way, a wreck on title is always going to limit value. But if you get it checked out properly and they tell you it was fixed correctly, I could see doing it.

I went with my parents' recommendations when I needed a car to go to university and bought new. Two years later I bought my first old sports car (I still own it) and have owned 70+ since then. If I hadn't started down that road I probably wouldn't own my Solstice today. If it checks out go for it. Isn't that the advice you were looking for?).

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
How much is it? Our cars are already crazy inexpensive, so it would need to be almost free before I would buy it with six previous owners, 100k miles, salvage title and no Redline.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line, Midnight Blue
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Pay no attention to grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Our cars r fragile...GM made these cars with the cheapest materials....cost engineering.
These cars are NOT fragile. Nephew hit a dump truck broadside at 50mph in his little Solstice. Truck had ran a red light. He came out with some scratches, one broken ankle, and a chest bruise from the shoulder harness. Car was totaled as front end was totally shoved in. If he had been driving a Miata he wouldn't be around today.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
If you are new to this forum, look on the skyroadster.com forum and the solsticeforum.com for a thread by ChopTop. ChopTop posts almost on a weekly basis the nationwide craigslist.com SKY and Solstice cars for sale. The listing almost always gives a good perspective on the cars and their mileage, price, and particulars etc.. Look for that tread and study the postings of for sale cars. I believe you will quickly assess what is available and at what price you should be paying.

Now, when you find a car that you want to go look at, a valuable thread by RtE (Rob the Elder, Parker, CO), will give you all the important things you need to pay attention to on the car. I don't have the link to that list, but maybe someone else will post it here. If not, you can use the search and find the list. DON'T go look at a car until you have reviewed Rob's list. It will help you identify issues with the car, and put you in a bargaining position with the seller. Examples: has the water pump been changed depending on miles on the car?; are the fenders on a SKY not cracked from improper lifting?; and so forth. Then, if these issues are of discussion, what are the fix costs for proper sale price adjustment? You will find a water pump can cost $1000 to $1300, while a SKY fender can be $450 plus the paint match cost. ?? Knowing these things in advance can put you in a much better bargaining postiion.

Good luck in your search.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
These cars are NOT fragile. Nephew hit a dump truck broadside at 50mph in his little Solstice. Truck had ran a red light. He came out with some scratches, one broken ankle, and a chest bruise from the shoulder harness. Car was totaled as front end was totally shoved in. If he had been driving a Miata he wouldn't be around today.
And your POINT???
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
If you are new to this forum, look on the skyroadster.com forum and the solsticeforum.com for a thread by ChopTop. ChopTop posts almost on a weekly basis the nationwide craigslist.com SKY and Solstice cars for sale. The listing almost always gives a good perspective on the cars and their mileage, price, and particulars etc.. Look for that tread and study the postings of for sale cars. I believe you will quickly assess what is available and at what price you should be paying.

Now, when you find a car that you want to go look at, a valuable thread by RtE (Rob the Elder, Parker, CO), will give you all the important things you need to pay attention to on the car. I don't have the link to that list, but maybe someone else will post it here. If not, you can use the search and find the list. DON'T go look at a car until you have reviewed Rob's list. It will help you identify issues with the car, and put you in a bargaining position with the seller. Examples: has the water pump been changed depending on miles on the car?; are the fenders on a SKY not cracked from improper lifting?; and so forth. Then, if these issues are of discussion, what are the fix costs for proper sale price adjustment? You will find a water pump can cost $1000 to $1300, while a SKY fender can be $450 plus the paint match cost. ?? Knowing these things in advance can put you in a much better bargaining postiion.

Good luck in your search.
Low priced Skys:

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...81/index3.html

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF12000 View Post
It has been through 6 owners (yikes!) and has about 100,000 miles on it. My father is leaning towards running far away from this thing
You didn't mention price? It's not the salvage title that concerns me as much as why it's had so many owners. The first thing that come to mind when I see stuff like that is that the previous owner dumped off it's problems to the next owner. That's definitely a red flag to me.

I'm currently taking a break from posting Skys on my thread, low priced Skys for sale, but I continue to look at Sols and Skys on Craigslist on a daily basis. While one Sky was built for every two Sols, there's still plenty of them being advertised for sale. I would urge you look for the a car that is in the best condition that fits in your budget.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Garage
The mileage and the salvage title wouldn't scare me away, but the 6 previous owners would.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in