Will you buy a Sky if the price is jacked? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

View Poll Results: If Saturn dealers jack the price, will you wait to buy your Sky?
I'll still be first in line to buy one! 7 13.21%
I'll let it rust on the showroom floor first! 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will you buy a Sky if the price is jacked?

If he Saturn dealers jack the price on the Sky will you buy one or wait until the price drops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick112
If he Saturn dealers jack the price on the Sky will you buy one or wait until the price drops?
depends how much they'll jack the price....

If they jack it up for more than 10%, I'll wait.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 AM

The Sky is price high enough already. The materials and construction quality are par at best for the MSRP price. Do you think if you spend $30K or more for this 177 hp roadster it will be worth more than $20k two years later?

The car is a beautiful new design that has huge curb appeal. Comfort is only what can be expected from a small roadster. In general, most sports car investments do not hold their value for long. There is really nothing exotic about the car that allows it to appreciate in value, unless GM goes bankrupt and production ended in 2006 (buy all you can then). If you end up allowing your emotions get to involved in getting this hot new car now and damn the price, you better be ready to keep it for a long while. Else you will be really upset to see Redlines sitting on dealer lots 2 years from now selling for less than $25K...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:44 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
With the new concepts like the challenger etc.,to raise the price in my opinion could be dangerous turn off for some. I love the Sky but I'm not opposed to moving on if pricing gets rediculous ( above MSRP)

DDM- Stage III S/C,Probeam,CatchCan, RaceBackbone,Header,HiFlowCat,Powder Coated Coil CamCover,Console,Center feed rail;Exedy II Clutch,TSW Jarama Wheels;Solo Mach Quad Tips;Norm'sRear Diffuser; Goodrich Tires;Kenwood Stereo.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
There is really nothing exotic about the car that allows it to appreciate in value, unless GM goes bankrupt and production ended in 2006 (buy all you can then).
I've yet to see ANY regular production car that appreciates in value during its production run. The question is rather how much does it depreciate? Reasons for appreciation in the future depend much more on style than mechanicals - how else could one possibly explain the appreciation of the early model Maverick chassied Mustangs? It's all about looks, as can also be seen with the Jaguar XKEs and Austin-Healys, two of the most troubleprone cars ever built. The Saturn Sky gets about as close to exotic as a $20K car can get. Looks always trump mechanicals when it comes to desirability, especially when the vehicle reaches collectable age. Predicting that the Sky will be desirable well into the future is a nobrainer. You can tell just by looking at it, and there's the added benefit that the car handles like a dream and will prove reliable. Even if GM goes bankrupt, it will probably continue to operate as before, just like the airlines, and if by chance it is sold, the new owner won't be crazy enough to kill the Kappa cars.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=rick112]If he Saturn dealers jack the price on the Sky will you buy one or wait until the price drops?

My dealer has stated they won't charge over MSRP but they ARE going to add window tint and pin striping to all Sky's they recieve for $1140.00. They really didn't mention it until I spoke of my Solstice experience/knowledge with sticker jacking and how I'd be unwilling to pay over MSRP. Not too happy about their like it or lump demeanor, but at least I know what I'm getting into in advance, though I woudn't have (I don't think) if I hadn't brought up the issue upon placing my deposit.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what Saturn pricing has been like in the past. I've been told it's no dicker pricing. That only goes so far. If the cars don't sell the price will come down!

WE are all fretting about nothing at this point. We haven't got cars to look at and we don't know the dealer price because they don't even know how many they are getting (or how many will really be produced).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:10 AM

all i have to say is i can get mine for employee price and i will not pay more. o yeah did i say my mother a banker runs acounts of 2 local saturn dealers. and they have been asking her to trade in her lexus. cant wait for my summer car
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:07 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I posted my feelings under the "Not a Happy Camper" thread!

MACH SKY
RL Auto(Stomp 'n Go),Tan/Tan 6 CD,XM,Chrome
Home 11/05/06
http://cafepress.com/wholesky
http://cafepress.com/RichDesign
http://richmcclelland.imagekind.com
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 08:47 AM

No Way

I own an Ion 2 and bought it because of Saturn's business model. I understand supply and demand and profit is not a dirty word; but, integrity is a more powerful one.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

It's a poor mans roadster. If they miss the boat on that they miss the target group they built the car for. It's a nice car but it isn't a Z4.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:32 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

[QUOTE=SlySky]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick112

My dealer has stated they won't charge over MSRP but they ARE going to add window tint and pin striping to all Sky's they recieve for $1140.00. They really didn't mention it until I spoke of my Solstice experience/knowledge with sticker jacking and how I'd be unwilling to pay over MSRP. Not too happy about their like it or lump demeanor, but at least I know what I'm getting into in advance, though I woudn't have (I don't think) if I hadn't brought up the issue upon placing my deposit.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.. you know you can have that done for 100 bucks at a decent tint place.. this is a great way to get theirs without outright saying so..

I may be waiting a while..
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to jacwag
If it stays between 23 & 26 grand I'll buy, if it goes higher I may as well go for a Vette or a Z4
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:51 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
[QUOTE=sky_vue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySky

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.. you know you can have that done for 100 bucks at a decent tint place.. this is a great way to get theirs without outright saying so..

I may be waiting a while..
Rick's price was Canadian, so you'd need to convert that into money before you freak out.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

[QUOTE=reedred]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_vue

Rick's price was Canadian, so you'd need to convert that into money before you freak out.
977.86 bucks.. holy mother of canadian to american dollar god.

still priced a bit high

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in