LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I just took old 44th Sky over Imogene Pass (13,110 feet) this summer.

The Mount Evans run is the highest paved auto road in the continental United States, over 14K. Yes higher than Pikes Peak.
Hey, Bob, I just can't let you go on not reading and absorbing my Google searches. I sent this info in a part note to you last July after our run on Imogene. Here is what I found then (let me know if this is bunk):

"Incidentally, I Googled the highest mountains in the 48 continental US and Mt McKinley is the highest (as you said) at 14,505 feet and located in-between some 80 miles to Fresno and 80 miles to Bakersfield (for my reference as I know you know where it is). Second highest in the continental US is Mount Elbert at 14,440 feet, located around 65 miles SW of Leadville, CO.. However, the Rocky Mountains have several other peaks that are only slightly below Elbertís elevation too."

But I will cut you some slack if it was that comment about a "highest paved auto road", LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
44th Sky, have you noticed how far McKinley is from Death Valley? LOL

So want to do that drive...Need to plan that. But I think what @skersfan is saying is the highest paved road is on Evans. The road on McKinley doesn't go up near that high.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #48 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
The Air force Academy is an easy half day cruise. They welcome visitors there. The Colorado Mining Museum is across I 25 from the Academy and well worth a visit. There is a B 52 at the freeway exit to the academy. I met the retired pilot who flew that same tail number into NVA air space on many occasions. It is quite a site. You can walk under it. Its up on pylons. There are several historical AC around the campus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
There is nothing quite like seeing a B 52 land or take off. I spent 2 months on Okinawa at Kadena RR. Got to see those things daily headed in country. How they get that evil looking thing off the ground amazes me every time I see one. Saw the impact of them in action near Laos border.

I will get signed up for that sir. I know I said I would help, but you already told me you had picked the job for me. I am not tooth brushing the exhaust system on the Punisher though!!!!
post #50 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:07 PM

Garage
Paved Road Auto Road is how it is described. You also went over Engineer Pass, California, Hurricane and Corkscrew, all well above 12K.

I have been riding on the Mount Evans road since I was 6 or 7 years old. Our vacations were always in the area of Black Hawk, which used to be only know as Central City I think. A fantastic place to visit no question. Anxious to get there.

I have volunteered sir and you said you already had a special job for me. I will remind you that I am thinking about bringing all three cars, so no, I am not tooth brushing the Punisher's exhaust system for you. lol...
post #51 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:32 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I have been riding on the Mount Evans road since I was 6 or 7 years old. Our vacations were always in the area of Black Hawk, which used to be only know as Central City I think. A fantastic place to visit no question. Anxious to get there.

I have volunteered sir and you said you already had a special job for me. I will remind you that I am thinking about bringing all three cars, so no, I am not tooth brushing the Punisher's exhaust system for you. lol...
Central City and Black Hawk appear on Google Earth to be right around the corner from each other.

Rob has a special job for you? What could it be?

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #52 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM

Garage
That is what I am worried about. lol
post #53 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Information will be forthcoming. . . . .
post #54 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Have started inviting vendors to NASSAM 2018. Ivy said they are coming and bringing the house! Dave (PAW) is considering coming. We hope he can come. He brings a lot to the event. Ashley said they will be supporting vendors. Not sure yet if they will have a full team there or not but they will be there with product. We have invited Norm and Martin as well. Hopefully they can make it.

if you have a favorite vendor, let me know and I will send them an invite.

We have several more national vendors we will be contacting along with a long list of local shops.
post #55 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you reached out to Hahn or RPM? I know there has been some bad blood between some Kappa owners and Martin at RPM but just throwing that out there.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #56 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Have you reached out to Hahn or RPM? I know there has been some bad blood between some Kappa owners and Martin at RPM but just throwing that out there.

Yes, I am in discussions with Martin currently. We will see if he can make it or not. If enough people buy his product . . . LOL
post #57 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, return on investment is important for any company. Not like we're a Slingshot or Camaro 2.0 Turbo group or pulling in 500 cars at our Nationals. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #58 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Updated event information

We have a draft event plan that is undergoing internal review before it becomes official. But I am happy to share the current draft as I think itís very close and you understand that it is subject to change.

This is the cruise set that are provided with leaders. The plan is to limit mountain cruises to 7 plus lead size. The mostly freeway cruises are 10 plus lead.

Bob is leading most of these LOLOLOLOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise Table.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	98065  
post #59 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:58 PM

In addition, we have a large set of self-paced cruises. These fall into two basic categories. First are local cruises that are very easy to navigate with directions and mostly freeway destinations. Second is destination trips where participants may choose to say visit a number of wineries, and having done extensive tasting want to stay overnight.
For each of these we will provide a cruise planning package with all the info needed to successfully complete the cruise either individually or in small groups.

Included on this list are special events in Denver. LoDo has 200 restaurants and many small quirky shops. The Rockies are planning at Coors Field during the event, so you can choose to experience the purple seats at 5000 feet.

Many of the "town" events are easily accessible via light rail. A few miles down the mountain is the Golden light rail station where you can park your car and ride the rail to most of the destinations if you choose not to drive into down town. Alternatively, we can arrange for a taxi or a ride in the Punisher Hauler. Time will tell.

For those of you who are brave, we are also offering shopping cruises for those so inclined. Cherry Creek is a destination HIGH END shopping event. Bring your checkbook but itís fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Self paced cruises.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	98066  
post #60 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:00 PM

In addition to the cruises, we have for the first time a full slate of hotel events.
These include
Wash Your Car the Right Way
Once daily first thing in the morning class daily for everyone. Will include doing a full wash of one car. Cars used to demonstrate will get a full wash and treatment, one car per day via charity auction. Use of foam spray gun, soap selection, wash tools for wheels, tires, undercarriage, body, and convertible top fabric. Using a blower to dry the car. Cleaning and treating wheels, tires, body and top. Vacuuming the top. How to treat the top. Will cover it all.

Maintenance Class
M-Th. Once Daily 2-hour class so anyone can sign up to one or more classes. Will include full up on the lift inspection. Checking torque on wheels and hub bolts. Going through the full Kappa maintenance check list. Treating rubber parts as desired, checking all fluids etc. Checking and replacing top wear clips. Checking top/windows for alignment. Will perform selected repairs like window adjustments, exterior door handle epoxy treatment, rotating tires etc. Basically, we will teach all participants how to do a full on the lift inspection, and perform minor repairs or installs up to two hours on the demonstrator for that class. We will auction off all four slots for this service with proceeds going to charity.

Get your Kappa Checked Out
This is an abbreviated version of the maintenance class. We want to make sure that everyone has a chance to find a class that fits their schedule. It will start with the full on the lift inspection and minor repairs. After we run through the Kappa check list of items, it's the ownerís choice what else they want done. We can address minor repairs discovered during the inspection, like replacing the top clips or torqueing bolts. If the owner wants more done, we will do what fits in the hour window (plus or minus cause we are not kicking anyone off the lift who needs help)

Cars and Coffee
Every morning a two-hour window in the vendor area where we will have coffee, hopefully donuts and seating for people to drop by and spend a few minutes or a couple of hours talking, waking up, eating and socializing. We will have a couple of designated extroverts there to keep things interesting.

Bench Racing and BBQ
Our plan is to offer lunch in the same area as Cars and Coffee daily. Finger food, ideally hot dogs, and hamburgers along with beverages. Need to see what the hotel will allow us to do. Again, itís an opportunity to spend socializing time, ask question and tell stories while getting fueled up and hydrated.
Getting Your Kappa Gauged
One-time class where we will cover how we installed various gauges on three example cars. The Minion Sky, the Green Dragon, and the PunisheR. They have a combination of OBD connected gauges and direct connect gauges with various sending units. We will cover how the gauges work, how OBD gauges function and what parameters are available for display. All are welcome to come and poke around, teach us how you did it or ask questions.
Detail your Kappa Class
One of our sponsors is Adamís Polishes. We are in discussion with them to bring their event booth and some experts to the Nationals. One of our RMSSC members is a detailing expert. Skip is going to be conducting detailing class daily where in two hours he will perform all the major processes involved in detailing the exterior of the demonstration car. One lucky person will win the right to have their car detailed during his class. Itís a hands-on experience where you will work with Skip to clean, polish, wax and seal your car. If your car canít be completed in that window we will schedule additional time to work with you in getting the entire car done. A ďnormalĒ car that is generally in good condition can see a significant improvement in a couple of hours of work but if your car needs more TLC then we will work that out too.
Tire Talk
We are inviting a tire expert from Discount to show up and give a class on tires. We have done this in the past with the club members and it has proven both very educational and popular. We will learn basic information about various tire types, grading, life, etc. that we all will be better off knowing. The tires are where our carís performance begins and ends after all.

Go 4 It Racing Seminar
Our resident pro racing driver will provide an opportunity for questions and answers about how to drive safe and quickly both on the road and on the track. His talks have been very effective and popular in the past, so I am looking forward to this event.
PunisheR Rides
For a two-hour window on Wednesday afternoon we will offer 20-minute rides in PunisheR if anyone is interested. The plan is to offer them as part of the charity auction and see if anyone is interested.
Dancing on the Roof
The hotel has promised us they will install a portable dance floor on the roof for us. We will bring music and a laser light show so people can dance to their favorite oldies. Hopefully we will have seating and beverages as well. This will be available Monday through Thursday evenings so if you are not exhausted from driving or shopping you can get tired dancing.
Theme Movies
Skip, in addition to being our resident detailing expert is a movie buff. He regularly provides movie nights attended by most of his neighbors in the common area outdoors at his residence. He has volunteered to provide a similar experience for us nightly during the Nationals. We will take demands but the first night will be car theme movies. If we treat him right, he may even bring popcorn! He has his own professional machine.
Campfire and S'mores
Dave is our club musician. He has kindly volunteered to provide a unique fun experience for those who would like to enjoy songs, jokes, and making gooey chocolate, gram cracker and marshmallow sandwiches while enjoying a "campfire". The hotel has fire pits on the pool deck that are outside under the stars and we get to use one for our campfire. Itís a great opportunity to sing some Colorado theme songs, relax and eat chocolate. Doesn't get better than that! If you want, bring your guitar and you can lead a song or two.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > National Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in