“NAASSM” to replace “NASSM” for our annual event? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
National Events National Events

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sooner Send a message via Yahoo to Sooner
“NAASSM” to replace “NASSM” for our annual event?

[ADMIN - please sticky this post]

My apologies for the length of this post, but I feel the background of what has happened and the reasons for my recommendation require a detailed discussion.

As many of you have heard, an attorney for the North American Society for Sports Management (NASSM) recently sent a cease and desist letter based upon trademark infringement to the webmaster for the 2015 Kappa NASSM. The sports management society was founded in 1986 and registered “NASSM” as a trademark in 2010. Although there is not likely to be any confusion between a group of sports management professionals and a loosely organized group of car enthusiasts, the facts remain that the society has trademarked the term “NASSM” and our ad hoc organization does not have the legal or financial ability to fight over this issue.

However, our 2015 NASSM organizers have worked out a deal with the sports management society to be able to continue to use “NASSM” for next year’s meet, provided: (1) there is a disclaimer on all Kappa NASSM websites, promotional materials, and other event materials that the event is not affiliated with the sports management society and (2) our group does not use “NASSM” for future events beginning with the 2016 event. In an effort to help our 2015 meet organizers be able to continue to use the term “NASSM,” the 2016 event organizers also agreed to these terms. Both the 2015 and 2016 organizers have taken prompt actions to fulfill the terms of the agreement.

On Friday morning, I had a very pleasant conversation with Brad, the attorney for the sports management society, in an effort to find out exactly what the society’s trademark concerns were and the extent of its perception of potential infringement. Brad informed me that his client’s only concern is the use of the exact acronym “NASSM.” We are more than welcome to continue to use the entire “North American Solstice & Sky Meet” moniker. Brad also informed me that the addition of a single letter to the acronym would satisfy his client.

Of course, there are a variety of reasons why we have referred to our annual event as “NASSM” including: (1) it gives us a quick way to refer to our meet rather than having to say the entire event name; (2) we have used “NASSM” for a decade; and (3) it kind of rolls off the tongue. In other words, because everyone knows what you mean when you say NASSM in the Kappa community, we have our own interest in the acronym.

In addition to communicating with the attorney for the sports management society, our 2015 meet organizers, my 2016 co-organizers, a number of our past “NASSM” organizers, and many other Kappa owners, I have also been diligently reading the posts in the various Facebook groups, on SkyRoadster, and on SolsticeForum. There have been a tremendous number of ideas thrown out for resolving the issue, including adding one or more letters to the acronym (such as NASSAM for North American Solstice & Sky Annual Meet); NASSC (North American Solstice & Sky Convention) NASSN (North American Solstice & Sky Nationals); changing the reference from “North America” to “International” or eliminating it entirely; changing the reference to “Solstice & Sky” to “Kappa”; and many others.

I would like make a few observations before making my recommendation:
(1) We have a tremendous amount of familiarity with the term “NASSM” given its use over the years and the fact that it is so easy to say;
(2) The term “Nationals” would impliedly exclude our significant and active Canadian contingent;
(3) The term “International” might be overly broad, as I am not sure we have had any attendees from outside of North America (although we are expecting a couple for 2016), plus we would not want to minimize the importance of any potential similar European event;
(4) While any owner or interested person will recognize “Solstice & Sky,” they may not recognize the “Kappa” platform name and one of the things we should do is make it as easy as possible for new folks to find us, particularly as cars change hands;
(5) A completely new acronym sacrifices our connection to our prior annual events and gives up a lot of the built-up name recognition and goodwill, even if it is clever or easy to say; and
(6) Whatever acronym we settle on, it ought to be something we can continue to use in the future so that we maintain continuity between the events.

Bearing all of this in mind, I would suggest that we use the acronym “NAASSM” (ostensibly meaning “North American Annual Solstice & Sky Meet” although you certainly would not have to use all of the words, in fact, the 2016 event will probably stick with “North American Solstice & Sky Meet”) for the following reasons:
(1) It is extremely close to the “NASSM” we have been using and we can continue to benefit from the identity and goodwill that have been built-up using “NASSM” over the years;
(2) We can pronounce it the same as we would “NASSM”;
(3) NAASSM is not trademarked and I did not find any references to it being associated with any other organization, business, or product and, therefore, it is not likely to be trademarked [“NASSAM” is also not currently trademarked, however, (1) it is currently being used as the name of a piece of software and by a group affiliated with the ministry and (2) it would be a bit problematic for us to trademark any acronym for our meet due to the “use in commerce” requirement]; and
(4) It can be used in a website address (avoids special characters such as “&”) which is obviously important to the execution of our event.

I do not want to make this decision on my own (except that I reserve the right to protect my own self-interests as one of the 2016 organizers). Rather, I think it should be made by a consensus of the Kappa community. Accordingly, I am open to any other considerations, alternative suggestions, concerns, comments, or other feedback that anyone wishes to provide and, although we need to move quickly in order to keep preparations for the 2016 event moving forward, a final decision will not be made until the Kappa community reaches that consensus. [Note that I said a consensus because we all know that there will never be situation where everyone agrees with the decision]. I look forward to hearing from you all.

[Disclaimers - Although I am an attorney, I have handled these issues as one of the 2016 meet organizers. Accordingly, I am approaching this issue on a strictly personal and practical level. I am not providing legal advice to anyone. Finally, neither this author, nor the 2015 and 2016 Solstice & Sky events referenced above, are in any way affiliated with the North American Society for Sports Management].

Sooner Magic - 2007 Sky Redline, red / black
GMPP tune; Westers tune; RPI intercooler, high flow cat downpipe, GT-S exhaust; DDM ProBeam and Backbone; Opel antenna; Windrestrictor and door sills

Facebook
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for dealing with this, Chris. However you want to handle it is more than fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
However you want to handle it is more than fine with me.
A satisfied customer who does not care!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Haha... no, a satisfied customer with complete trust in Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

As a follow-up, I am going to give folks the week to provide feedback and then I will put a survey up at Survey Monkey or somewhere similar

GMPP tune; Westers tune; RPI intercooler, high flow cat downpipe, GT-S exhaust; DDM ProBeam and Backbone; Opel antenna; Windrestrictor and door sills

Facebook
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAASSM seems like a reasonable solution!

VIN 2262, Delivered 5/13/06
Custom Silver Pearl/Ruby Red, XPEL Clear Film, Enkei Wheels, Norm's Fenders & Side Skirts,
"BAD TO THE BONE" WR, DDMWorks Center Console, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 35170 Quad Tips
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess my recommendation of NAKID or NOOKIE didn't make the cut?

NAASSM is an excellent choice. My first thought is it was too close to NASSM. But you took care of that by closing with the other party. Excellent work!

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Save the alphabet, one of our Sky members suggested NASM...
You don't need all those extra letters...

NASSM is Trademarked - Do Not Use - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Post #14

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
GT!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
So 2015 will be the last NASSM ever? Is this a ploy to increase attendance?

Edit to CMA: Disclaimer neither this author, nor the 2015 and 2016 Solstice & Sky events referenced above, are in any way affiliated with the North American Society for Sports Management

-GT

Last edited by GT!; 11-10-2014 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
So 2015 will be the last NASSM ever? Is this a ploy to increase attendance?
Seeing as how Roofer and I have already signed the hotel and catering contracts for 2016 in the Ozarks, I sure as heck hope 2015 is not the last North American Solstice & Sky Meet!

Facebook
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Save the alphabet, one of our Sky members suggested NASM...
You don't need all those extra letters...

NASSM is Trademarked - Do Not Use - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Post #14
Personal Trainer Certification | NASM

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
This thread is behind by one day..
AND
Why are their two threads on this alphabet topic!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIC 1 View Post
This thread is behind by one day..
AND
Why are their two threads on this alphabet topic!!!
Because Rich had the responsibility to get the word out asap, and I had the responsibility as co-chair for 2016 of coming up with proposals on how to move forward.

Facebook
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Irrelevant at this point, only this thread remains...

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Irrelevant at this point, only this thread remains...
I'm happy for that!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > National Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in