14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Garage
Dave,

I think GM Roadster failed due to the leadership/owner not truly doing/interested in their job. A part of it is still operational in San Diego, and is a very active group. They ran a good sized regional event awhile back I heard.

Robo and I have talked about an Inland Empire club, as there are quite a few cars close by. Temecula seems to be a nest for them. Unfortunately, as I hate the crap, you need to be involved more with Facebook. These forum type things are not going to be around a lot longer is my guess, and they reach far fewer people. I prefer it, would rather take a sharp stick in the eye than go on FB though.

But for it to really be something, you would need to have dues and leadership, and those that wanted to promote the vehicle. I think they exist, and I would be willing to pay annual dues and help anyway I could.
post #32 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
When there proved to be insufficient interest to sustain a "Club", a group of us attempted to put together an organization that would assist local groups in executing the Annual Meet. The idea was to have a core group that could supply the web hosting and a basic framework to help the local group get started. There wasn't enough interest for that, either, and the idea went away. We are a very independent group of people, it seems.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #33 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Dave,

I think GM Roadster failed due to the leadership/owner not truly doing/interested in their job. A part of it is still operational in San Diego, and is a very active group. They ran a good sized regional event awhile back I heard.
GM Roadster held itself out as a national club, kind of a club of clubs. In actuality, it was a marketing effort for selling parts and providing organization/web sites for "member" clubs.

It was a relatively good idea, and might have worked if it had had full-time attention to detail and operation, which was sadly lacking.

NASSOA was a good effort at a national organization, but failed. Why? I don't know.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #34 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Garage
I spent a few months trying to get a hold of a guy named Martin at GM Roadster, to join the club, be involved and attend a major event in Arizona. Never a call, pm or any response. I see a little of it from the San Diego group. They will not post anything on either forum, but do a lot on Facebook I understand. Somehow the group from San Diego came up with the name eventually. At least as we were told when we joined the group. We do pay annual dues and they put on several events a year. I have my Palm Springs run, this will be the fourth one in October. They promote it in their database, but never a word on here.

To be honest though, we never received a single entry from anyone on the board other than people we already knew. Kind of sad, honestly. Ours is free, and everyone walks away with a tee shirt at least, and the poker run winner normally gets over 500.00 worth of stuff they can use. Again thanks to DDM, Solo Performance and Windrestrictor.
post #35 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
...NASSOA was a good effort at a national organization, but failed. Why? I don't know.
NASSOA went under because Pontiac went under. Since it was a factory supported organization, it was supposed to get annual monetary support from Pontiac. Without that, membership dues weren't enough to cover the event insurance to cover sanctioned events. So, the decision was made to donate what was left in the NASSOA account to the Ohio NASSAM for seed money & fold the tent.
post #36 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 09:09 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck View Post
NASSOA went under because Pontiac went under. Since it was a factory supported organization, it was supposed to get annual monetary support from Pontiac. Without that, membership dues weren't enough to cover the event insurance to cover sanctioned events. So, the decision was made to donate what was left in the NASSOA account to the Ohio NASSAM for seed money & fold the tent.
I never knew about monetary support from Pontiac.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #37 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 02:49 AM

Garage
I think I have read somewhere you hide the money from the lawyers, or it is gone!!!! lol
post #38 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
A couple of quotes from the Solstice Forum that should illustrate that NASSOA died from lack of interest rather than lack of funding:

Quote:
NASSOA Membership/Kappa Owners

It is with great sadness that the NASSOA council announces the sunset of the NASSOA organization. Effectively immediately, membership solicitation will no longer be accepted. Additionally, no further action will be taken on council membership nominations nor solicitations for hosting the 2011 NASSM.

The council has voted and taken this difficult step due to a steady decline in new and renewal memberships as well as the demise of both the Pontiac and Saturn brands causing the loss of our national brand managers at GM. Additional Association funds will be offered to the 2010 Canton NASSM committee for their use and any remaining funds will be donated to the American Red Cross in support of the Haiti Earthquake relief effort.

The original council members who served in various positions, most of whom remain today, wish to thank all those kappa owners who supported NASSOA over the past 3 years. We all believed in the original "Pontiac Excitement" the Solstice brought followed up by its Sky counterpart. The initial enthusiasm was overwhelming as exhibited by the grassroots movement which resulted in the first NASSM in Kansas City in June 2006. It was even more impressive to see all the regional clubs develop as well as the special meets begin to organize such as Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina and Twisting to The River in Ohio. The NASSM carried on through Nashville, Las Vegas, Denver and leading into this year at Canton.

However, the economy and other financial difficulties have impacted us all. Many of the regional clubs have grown smaller with fewer renewals and members as well. The NASSM participation has grown, but not to the level anticipated, and with the demise of both car brands, the original enthusiasm has begun to dissipate. The council sincerely hopes the grassroots movement which enabled NASSOA to begin, will carry on and continue the NASSM tradition in 2011.

Respectively submitted,

Carl
Acting Chair
NASSOA Council
Quote:
as a current council member who voted to sunset this organization....most dont know the situation of the organization......yes the organization can remain in name only if the membership votes to maintain it....with that said.....when the call for new officers went out over a year ago....only one nomination was sent in, when the call for nominations went out to host the next national event after Canton...agaid silence........seems many people want to keep the organization..but yet noone wants to step up to do the work that is needed to keep it going (membership, accounting, tax filing, vendor solicitation, website maintenance, banking, and much more)......all of us have been working the organization for over three years now....and as Mel stated..worked our butts off to make this happen....and remember....we are all volunteers here...and this isnt our full time job.......but yet we have devoted countless hours to make it ....
also.....many times the organization was defamed by some and more that I dont feel needs to be rehashed here........this organization was deeply linked to corporate GM and marketing brand managers who we dealt with frequently.......all that is gone......we had repeatedly asked for suggestions for how to make it better....and got nothing in return..but yet....now....it seems everyone has an opinion......yes some local clubs may have grown...but our outlook shows many have simply reached a plateau......and the renewals significantly down.......as was mentioned.....a local organization can do more for its immediate membership...than a not for profit national organization....... I could go on...but for those who vote NO to sunset the organization.....what are you prepared to do to keep it afloat is my question to you?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #39 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
What I see is not disinterest. Issee RECESSION.

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata
post #40 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
This has been an interesting stroll down memory lane, but we should probably return our attention to the subject of this thread, NASSAM 2019 and discussion thereof.

Thanks.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #41 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Lots of great posts and great points. I've learned a great deal about Nationals from the "old heads" around here.

To hold it somewhere centralized makes sense to me, but the number of drivers in the east argument is quite sensible as well. Maybe somewhere between I-70 or I-80 as a Northish boundary, I-20 or I-22 (or even 40/44 as a Southish boundary, I-35 as a Westernish boundary, and I-69 as an Easternish boundary would be central enough to draw Western owners as well as Eastern owners? Of course I'm worried for the NE and SE folks as well, but having it inside that box, and sticking to it would allow some variation even if some had to come a little ways to get there. They'd know ahead of time.

I had a GREAT time in Lexington, and if I'd had company the drive there/back would've been better. BTW, thank you for putting on such a great and enjoyable event! I will be in CO next year, and would like to attend events as long as I have my car.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #42 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
expostdelirium, just described Branson, Missouri. A lot of entertainment and a big draw of people there, I understand.

post #43 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Garage
The only problem with the Branson area is the humidity. We fought it in Springdale, less than 50 miles away I think.

Now please don't go ballistic on this thought, we are not a young group, we don't have to worry about packing for kids or room for kids or worry about entertaining them, for most that has long past. That means also that we do not have to vacation in the summer.

I know the name of one of the cars is Solstice, but I truly believe if you moved the date to mid September, you would have much better weather and more people attend. There I have said it. Let all hell fly.

My other half is from Jeff City, Missouri. After Arkansas, she said she would never go back into that weather again on her own choice. But Fall in Missouri is beautiful, Branson has everything that is needed in spades, and might be a little less populated in September. Not endorsing the idea, but possibly the area.
post #44 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
The "box" is Omaha to OKC to Nashville to Indy back to Omaha. My thinking was that with those major Interstates it would be easy for folks from all over to get there. I was not thinking of Branson (it's a little "hinterland" for me), but more like the Columbia-area. I was thinking even farther North and/or East than Columbia even. Humidity is a factor for some. September might be better for some, and might drive attendance up....

On a side note: I drove through Jeff City on the way to and from Lexington and I love driving US 50.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #45 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I think we can do away with Tail of the Dragon...
I thought the highway from Prescott, AZ to Jerome, AZ was bad. It's only 127 curves in 12 miles. Fun road and I see a few Kappa's and other roadsters each time.

2007 Silver/Red Sky Redline

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > National Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in