post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysolst View Post
My apologies, I wasn't being sarcastic...I was trying to figure out whether the original comment about Nationals being "central" was sarcastic.

Anyway, I think my answer is that the "center" of the US geographically is quite different than the US population "center"....meaning that you're going to get 100 cars anywhere west of the Mississippi and 150 anywhere east...or something like that. So for us Corning is a short 2692 mile drive, see you there!
My remark about "not being sarcastic" was directed at marlboromike.

Many years ago there was some effort to determine where the center of the US was located for all the Kappas sold, and it was considerably further east than the population center, despite the influence of California and Texas on the Kappa population (if I remember correctly).

We'll just have to see how the numbers work out over the next year or so.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Garage
I have a suggestion for 2020...how about Key West Florida...the Southern most part of the US...perhaps. Now that is SARCASM....

Last edited by marlboromike; 05-08-2018 at 10:30 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I have a suggestion for 2020...how about Key West Florida...the Southern most part of the US...perhaps. Now that is SARCASM....
We did have a Sky/Solstice gathering in Key West before. Was fun. I took the AutoTrain down. About 10 cars made the trip IIRC. That was one long bridge...

Adler
SMS TB
FalkenTires
Rear Camera
ACE 18" Rims
Custom Paint
JL Audio Amp
JL 13TW5 Sub
SMS Headers
Vertical Doors
Pioneer AVIC-Z1
JL Audio Surrounds
Functional Hood Vents
KappaSphere - Saturn MotorSports

3800: 6-20-06 vin 3895
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Any and all sarcasm aside, 2020 is being planned and we'll make an announcement in late-August as to what that is all about. :-)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
As Dave O'Connor will testify.....

the demographics for Kappa ownership is not evenly split at the Mississippi river.

There are clusters at most major cities

Without starting a firestorm......the larger urban areas are on the west Coast...the Eastern Seaboard
and the Great Lakes. Surprisingly the eastern Gulf states do not appear to have a large contingent.

When I took upon the quest for 2019 I wanted to make sure we included the Canadians too.
I looked at Lake George first, but it is overwhelming crowded and expensive in the summer.

Corning/Binghamton had a lot to offer.

Demographically speaking most KO's (Kappa owners) will drive one long day to get the a National Event.
Based on that we concluded that Eastern Canada (Ont Quebec and the Maritimes ) would be well represented,
as would New England. In spite of MM we also believed we would attract people from the Carolinas, VA, MD, PA, OHIO
Mich. NY NJ KY etc,. Based on that we had to choose a hotel that would support 150 KO's and btw the reason we moved
the date up a week is because a glaziers convention had already booked our week ahead of us in FEB 2018 !!! for June 2019

People who whine that Wisc. or the UP would be great fail to realize 2 things 1) finding hotels and convention centers
able to handle 150 cars is difficult at best...2) summer vacation travel raises costs and huge traffic jams create
KO route headaches. Hotels in vacation spots jack up prices exponentially and we needed to keep the nightly rate BELOW $150.00

I've heard people say ...what about Idaho, Montana Santa Fe or Vermont. Well the big thing is...the roads may be great but
who are the local KO's to organize it.....Right...there aren't any

Before you go criticizing the location ask yourself this.....Have I ever volunteered as an organizer? What support have I personally given to a NASSAM? It takes a HUGE amount of work to make this a success. Fully 75% of our Operating Committee are people
who have already run a NASSAM.....yes ...seasoned veterans who know what it takes and what you have to give. It is hard to recruit new talent. People love to attend, but few will step up.

Be happy there is a 2019 and a 2020....let's see who steps up for 2021 !!!

Running full throttle SOLO (SQR-2)

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2

As Dave O'Connor will testify.....
I've never been an expert on the demographics of Kappa ownership, but I believe what others have posted in the past. The largest part of the Kappa fleet is in Coastal California, Texas, Florida, and strangely, Ohio and Michigan.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have your limits when considering whether to attend a Annual National
get together of Kappa owners? If your human than yes we do have our limits. I know I do, when considering my trip to the Nationals
in Lexington, KY. The amount of time spent, money, butt in the seat time, just to get there?
Most owners imho won't drive for 2 days, full 8-12 driving hours plus over night stay involved
if you want to enjoy yourself at the event. You could be wore out just getting there.

The Lexington trip for me, was 468 miles, one way. About 7 hrs, give or take and I was tired after driving that
long. Round trip bout 1000 miles, which was my pre-set limit for this trip.

IF I were to consider another trip to a National event, using the maybe Corning, N.Y. 2019 as a base, it's only 232 miles
from home for me. 464 miles round trip, under 500... yeah I would do another one based on just that.

Now the Key West option... whoa. That's a ways down the road for me. I have been to the Keys once before, took me 2 days,
spent 4 days, decompressing from that long ride, plus ample amounts of adult beverages to dull the butt pain..
That trip rings the meter at 1271 miles, 19 hours... one way. I love the Keys, but that is too much for even me.
2542 miles, 36 hours road time, with hotels, plus gas costs which are going up and up is much to consider when
deciding if I will attend a car event?

I might attend the Corning, N.Y. event based on travel time & costs.
While I would jump at the opportunity to once again visit Key West, it would take me a very long time
to decide is it worth it to me? Up to you the owner, the chief payer of the bills, do I spend the time
and money or not? For me it's a no brainer.. attend if you can? Set your limits, exceed them if you want, or
wait and go later when it is closer to you and your limits.

LAC
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
I've never been an expert on the demographics of Kappa ownership, but I believe what others have posted in the past. The largest part of the Kappa fleet is in Coastal California, Texas, Florida, and strangely, Ohio and Michigan.
This is very true when you look at it state by state (I am too lazy/busy to search for my sales by state posts) but when you take in the New York/New Jersey/PA area as a whole, they'd rank right up there with the one's you mentioned. After all, those states are about as much area wise as small parts of TX or CA. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid-2 View Post
When I took upon the quest for 2019 I wanted to make sure we included the Canadians too.
I looked at Lake George first, but it is overwhelming crowded and expensive in the summer.
I hope to make this one, I was all set to attend Rob's in 2018, other than Portland it was the closest to my home in Canada, but I moved down east and unfortunately couldn't attend. I now live in Montreal and hoping to attend yours Druid. I will definitely keep my eyes open for any and all info on it.

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hotel reservations are live!!!

NASSAM 2019 is June 11th to June 15th, 2019.

Event registration is coming very soon.

Head to 2019 NASSAM: North American Solstice & Sky Meet to book at the host hotel, the Corning Radisson.

Adler
SMS TB
FalkenTires
Rear Camera
ACE 18" Rims
Custom Paint
JL Audio Amp
JL 13TW5 Sub
SMS Headers
Vertical Doors
Pioneer AVIC-Z1
JL Audio Surrounds
Functional Hood Vents
KappaSphere - Saturn MotorSports

3800: 6-20-06 vin 3895

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > National Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in