Saturn Sky Forum banner

NASSAM 2020 Rapid City

18K views 118 replies 27 participants last post by  mysolst 
#1 ·
Hello, welcome to the NASSAM 2020 thread.

As was announced at the 2018 NASSAM banquet, those who brought you NASSAM 2015 (Pacific Northwest Roadsters - PNWR) with some help from Ohio, Arkansas, Minnesota and the wonderful province of British Columbia are happy to bring you the 2020 version of NASSAM, this time hosted in Rapid City, South Dakota.

This thread in no way is an intent to take focus and planning effort from the 2019 event (some of us are working on that one too), but rather to simply let the community know that there is a 2020 event planned for June 21-26, 2020. As this constitutes a long drive for just about everyone, so we thought we'd get the word out and perhaps folks could plan a once in a lifetime trip to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer National Park, Devils Tower and my personal favorite, the Badlands of South Dakota.

Best regards from PNWR and our cast of thousands.

Hope to see you in 2020.

#106 ·
Rick and Karen,

Again thank you for all the work and dedication you guys have shown over the past year. Unfortunately it appears that my other half will not be able to attend this year. She is a CNO for a small hospital in Southern California. They have cancelled all vacations at this time. But if you have the event, I will make it back to thank you guys personally.

But I am sure all of us understand the situation and wish you nothing but luck on this.

#107 ·
I wasn't able to make the CO mainly for the same reason I couldn't make NY. I want to make this one quite badly. Lexington was my first, and I kick myself for not making CO, but I am planning to make SD just to show some support to the people who've worked so hard for so long. I will probably only be able to stay for 3 of the days, but the idea of going is exciting. Is there a possibility that '21 might be in SD - if it gets postponed/cancelled in '20? There'd be less need to "start from scratch" unless that isn't correct.

#108 ·
The 2021 event is planned to occur in Bellaire, Michigan. We're considering moving Rapid City to 2022. We continue to evaluate our options. In the middle of May we'll be checking with the hotel, the tourism folks and the city of Rapid City itself to make our next decision. We are hanging on as long as we can. Some folks are cancelling due to their own health concerns, we are also taking into consideration that some folks are going on vacation in Rapid City whether there is a NASSAM or not. So, tune in in about two weeks for more.

#110 ·
Good Morning: Just checking in. We had five cancellations this week which we'll process this weekend. Your refund will come back to you however you paid (by PayPal or credit card). Our total cancellations currently stand at 19 with 103 registrations remaining. Just a reminder that we're trying to hold on to having a gathering of some kind and will be checking back with folks in Rapid City on May 15th. We'll let you know where we are at that point.

#111 ·
Hello Friends:

NASSAM 2020 is postponed.

With regret we have come to the conclusion that we will not be gathering in Rapid City for NASSAM 2020. Karen and I along with the Operating Committee have taken many things into consideration including vendor availability, travel restrictions (both interstate and across the Canadian border), the existing conditions in South Dakota and, of course, the health and well-being of us all. Additionally, we have already had almost one-fifth of the reservations cancelled.

Perhaps the most important consideration other than health is the simple idea that NASSAM is a social event, given current restrictions in South Dakota (groups of less than ten in particular and limited restaurant capacity) there would be little opportunity for socializing, and impossible to have 150 people gather for traditional Meet and Greet or banquet activities. We would like you to understand that we did not make this decision lightly.

We are considering moving this event to a later year, and will be making announcements about future events in Michigan at next year’s NASSAM 2021.
Each individual registration will be receiving an email from us pertaining refunds. You must cancel hotel room reservations yourself. Please keep an eye out for an email in the next couple of weeks, and we ask your patience with us during this process of postponement. It may take us a little time to get through this.
If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact us at nassam2020@outlook.com.

Rick and Karen

#118 ·
Hello:

Karen and I have processed all of the refunds for the NASSAM 2020 event having made our best guess at what folks were requesting (not all communication was entirely clear so we did our best). Please note for some folks that the refunds it could take 7 to 10 days for processing through PayPal and credit cards. Also, keep in mind that we never heard back from some folks, so in those cases we simply refunded all of the registration less fees.

For those of you who made it clear that you wanted to have posters, coins and patches shipped please be patient, it will likely be August before we get to shipping. We simply applied a $7.50 shipping fee to everything, but we are not charging you for the memorabilia itself. Because so many of you had graciously donated to the charity, we’ve elected to cover the cost for those items. We'd like to thank Steve and Darlene Hilkin for their contributions towards the posters, Karen and I are donating the cost for coins and patches.

As so many of you were generous with your contributions to the charity, we'd like you to know that Karen and I elected not to recover any of our other costs in planning the event. Additionally, because we are postponing to 2022 our vendor DDM is not incurring any cost that will be unrecoverable. We're working out the pennies, but with your help we should be donating about $8,500 to Make a Wish. Thank you so much for your participation in supporting the event and with any luck at all we’ll see you in Rapid City in 2022.

Best regards,

Rick and Karen

#119 ·
Hello All: Just a final thought before we basically close down this thread. We'd like to thank everyone on the planning committee for their help in planning of the event. With any luck at all we'll be gathering in two years in Rapid City. As for now we turn our attention to NASSAM 2021 in Bellaire, Michigan. Keep an eye out for that news here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/407800586760081

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.