National Meet Statistics - Prior Years - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
National Events National Events

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
How does the money for the Charity get raised? Seems to very greatly. Just wondering.
There are a few different ways the money is raised. Donated items at the event that are auctioned or raffled to help raise money for the charity. Items with the event logo such as extra shirts, hats, glasses, coins, etc. are sold at the event in hopes that extra money from their sale will go to the charity. And then you hope you have a little extra from registration that can be donated. How much the vendors are willing to contribute or sponsor makes a difference also. If they give you cash, then you have cash and you are way ahead of the game. They can't always afford to do that. If you have unique items, such as one of a kind kappa prints or signed event banners, they have auctioned for $$$ at the last 2 or 3 events. Whereas prior to that, we couldn't beg to give some of our items away. Even a Solo exhaust wouldn't bring much at a silent auction - maybe $100...$200 at best.

Some states have laws against raffles or auctions - you have to have a license to have them, so that makes it more challenging in how you can raise money also. And in years where money is tight, people won't spend as much on the raffles or auctions, the people donating the items don't donate as much, and the sponsors don't sponsor as much.

What it comes down to is how much money is left over after the bills are paid. It's not an inexpensive endeavor to put on one of these events. If you've estimated and managed your costs well and people spend $$$ at the event, then you have a lot more money left over. And sometimes, the event costs are higher because you want to include more in the registration so maybe you have nothing left over out of registration/item sales and it all comes from what people are willing to spend on the donated items.

Hope that helps!

Just doing my thingy... :)

Sky Sol Sister - 2006 Solstice
"Cookie" (I think?? Thanks Skip!! :) )
Delivered 11/30/05
Fully Loaded except XM and On-Star
including Perm-a-Grin!

Last edited by ihawk95; 07-08-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Well thought out answer, ihawk95!

Every event is different, and has had a different group organizing it. I'm guessing that each group had a bit different outlook on the charity angle which is probably reflected in the amount raised.

From my perspective it is just important to record these types of things for the future organizers, so that there are some reference points going forward.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Well thought out answer, ihawk95!

Every event is different, and has had a different group organizing it. I'm guessing that each group had a bit different outlook on the charity angle which is probably reflected in the amount raised.

From my perspective it is just important to record these types of things for the future organizers, so that there are some reference points going forward.

Correct! I was going to include about the organizing groups being different.

Also something to note, the registration fee is not the same fee every year. It's set by the organizing group to, at a minimum, cover their costs of what they intend to be included in the registration fee, yet be affordable so people can attend. Things like the banquet dinner, any other food or dinner, meet and greet event, event shirt, rentals, deposits, music, banners, printing, promotional items, etc. can be included in the cost of registration. That's why if the group doesn't estimate their costs well or they don't know their costs upfront, or those costs change by the time of the event, they are scrambling to cover the expenses or paying them out of their own pocket. Actually, most organizers are paying something out of their own pocket at the beginning because most of the contracts require deposits and those contracts are signed up to 2 years before the event to reserve the dates. Registrations don't start coming in until 6-12 months before the event. OK, let's be realistic, most people don't register until 2-3 months before so there is not much coming in early on in the registration process. The organizers are in a deficit of $1000+ in the early stages of their planning. That out of pocket cost starts to increase if they decide to have promotional items (videos, giveaway items with the event logo, shirts with the logo, etc) to promote the event. You can see they are at a deficit very early on before they see any money.

And that my friends, is a little event planning 101 learned the hard way.

Delivered 11/30/05
including Perm-a-Grin!

Last edited by ihawk95; 07-08-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Another "spot-on" observation. And it has gotten worse than when you did it, as there is nothing coming into the kitty as an offset from the national organization.

I guess not a lot of our current posters here remember NASSOA, or the GMRoadster group.

FWIW, GMRoadster is now defunct, their web site is non reponsive and the domain name is available, or so I hear.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihawk95 View Post
Correct! I was going to include about the organizing groups being different.

Also something to note, the registration fee is not the same fee every year. It's set by the organizing group to, at a minimum, cover their costs of what they intend to be included in the registration fee, yet be affordable so people can attend. Things like the banquet dinner, any other food or dinner, meet and greet event, event shirt, rentals, deposits, music, banners, printing, promotional items, etc. can be included in the cost of registration. That's why if the group doesn't estimate their costs well or they don't know their costs upfront, or those costs change by the time of the event, they are scrambling to cover the expenses or paying them out of their own pocket. Actually, most organizers are paying something out of their own pocket at the beginning because most of the contracts require deposits and those contracts are signed up to 2 years before the event to reserve the dates. Registrations don't start coming in until 6-12 months before the event. OK, let's be realistic, most people don't register until 2-3 months before so there is not much coming in early on in the registration process. The organizers are in a deficit of $1000+ in the early stages of their planning. That out of pocket cost starts to increase if they decide to have promotional items (videos, giveaway items with the event logo, shirts with the logo, etc) to promote the event. You can see they are at a deficit very early on before they see any money.

And that my friends, is a little event planning 101 learned the hard way.
Why not put away say, $1,000 from the previous year to act as "seed money" for the next years event?

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Why not put away say, $1,000 from the previous year to act as "seed money" for the next years event?

Yogi
That's been discussed for years. You can search either here or on the Sol side and find the threads with the discussions about it.

Delivered 11/30/05
including Perm-a-Grin!
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:56 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
FWIW, GMRoadster is now defunct, their web site is non reponsive and the domain name is available, or so I hear.

Really??? Wow. Maybe he's too into Strictly Aftermarket now?

Well...that sure does leave us with nothing! Martin was always good for contributing GM Roadster water, or the trophies, or something. He's still donating via Strictly Aftermarket at least.

Add that one to the death statistics I guess.

Delivered 11/30/05
including Perm-a-Grin!
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihawk95 View Post
Really??? Wow. Maybe he's too into Strictly Aftermarket now?

Add that one to the death statistics I guess.
The real unfortunate part of that is that all the local clubs that were affiliated with GMRoadster and had their web sites hosted via GMRoadster lost their web sites when the GMRoadster lights went dark. How many of them were still active I don't know.

FWIW, I did not hear this "officially" from anyone directly involved.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Back on topic.

The numbers reported in my table are what I have been told directly by the organizers of each year, or that have been published on the forums year to year.

I decided to keep all this information in this thread so that it could be referenced in one location, if anyone wanted to do so.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Edit: 7/4/16 Sooner asked for a change in the Vendors/Sponsors and revised the charity number down a bit:

Sooner, sirwm and MomsSol all posted results for 2016:

Code:
Year	City	           Cars	People	Vendors/	Charity
					Sponsors
2006	Kansas City	    100	189	7	2135
2007	Nashville	    162	265	4	6572
2008	Las Vegas	    108	170	10	2300
2009	Denver	            125	250	19	12400
2010	Canton	            203	350	8	5000
2011	Austin	            136	200+	5	5500
2012	Asheville	    156	251	7	1200+
2013    Flagstaff           125 197     3	6000
2014    Poconos             185 320     5	~2000
2015    Portland            108 208	6	9500+
2016    Ozarks              128	232	15	20,000+
2017	Lexington, KY	    to be added

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Last edited by DaveOC; 07-05-2016 at 12:53 AM.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks, Dave. I was just getting ready to look this up for the trek down to the Lexington Tourism office. You saved me a click or six.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Thanks, Dave. I was just getting ready to look this up for the trek down to the Lexington Tourism office. You saved me a click or six.
I hope it is worth it to the tourism people, they probably can interpret the numbers better than any of us not in the tourism biz.

I suspect that you will have numbers more like Canton and the Poconos as Lexington is a bit closer to where the people are.

Who knows? Not I.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The only interpretation that I really want from them is that we are serious about the meet, and have some history.
I have been talking to some marketing people, and we are going to try something this year that may blow the doors off attendance.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Sooner updated the number tonight so I edited the previous post (4 posts back) Vendors/Sponsors +3 and Charity -$1000 or so.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sooner Send a message via Yahoo to Sooner
Alright keeper of stats - we finally closed out the fundraising from NASSAM 2016. Between the organizational talents of Karen SHiNY Wood, the bountiful product donations, and the amazing generosity of the NASSAM attendees, they raised a grand total of $21,130.

Sooner Magic - 2007 Sky Redline, red / black
GMPP tune; Westers tune; RPI intercooler, high flow cat downpipe, GT-S exhaust; DDM ProBeam and Backbone; Opel antenna; Windrestrictor and door sills

Facebook

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > National Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in