Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sky -Sol- Kappa Club

4K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Rick Tinley Park 
#1 · (Edited)
Would you be interested in joining a Sky-Sol-Kappa Club either locally,State, Regional or National.

SkyBaby and myself talked today and I asked what is the real numbers on interest in a Club.

This forum has the most Sky owners and Sky waiters of any other site but when talk of starting a club there is only a handfull of people who make a response.

I'm not asking you to devote your time, energy, or money. Unless of course you want to.

If you are interested in joining a club anywhere in the Country.

Post here a yes or no.

P.M. either SkyBaby or myself you e-mail address, phone some sortof contact info so we can inform you of happenings.

We are tired of talking we want to start some action that is what this post is about.

We need to know the interest to see what scope of project will be worthwhile.

This is all we want with this post to gather info on numbers

We have tons of members here and we our the hard core Sky lovers if we can only get 10-20 responses in this hot spot then we will concentrate on just our local area. Because we have a great core of people here and they want a club.

I hope you do to

See less See more
#4 ·
For me, it depends on what the club is all about, rallies versus racing, social versus car-oriented, destinations versus driving, casual versus formal, etc. I have been involved in several car clubs, motorcycle clubs, etc. National clubs have never worked out for me, because I never felt connected.

I am working on a Sky Club for the SouthWest with local chapters, but I want to support almost any effort to create a club for these wonderful cars. I was involved in a local Miata club the first year they came out, and it was a great experience. Later, as the number of Miatas grew, it wasn't as fun anymore. As a result, I would personally prefer a smaller local club, although I like the greater support, resources, and community choices available via regional or national websites (like this one).

#7 ·
The more I look into it -- The SPC is already there. And as the Saturn Performance Club, it has a bit of everything. From racing to cruising to social affairs. It is based out of Chicago and is already national....
To be a junior member costs nothing and if nothing eles allows us to plan events and not organize a club...:D

#8 ·
we can do that..... but..... we got a GREAT group of people in our circle already..... we can branch off and do things..... well, maybe not.... i better go to bed..... Night all..SkyBaby-07

#9 ·
Eye on Sky said:
Would you be interested in joining a Sky-Sol-Kappa Club either locally,State, Regional or National.

SkyBaby and myself talked today and I asked what is the real numbers on interest in a Club.

This forum has the most Sky owners and Sky waiters of any other site but when talk of starting a club there is only a handfull of people who make a response.

I'm not asking you to devote your time, energy, or money. Unless of course you want to.

If you are interested in joining a club anywhere in the Country.

Post here a yes or no.

P.M. either SkyBaby or myself you e-mail address, phone some sortof contact info so we can inform you of happenings.

We are tired of talking we want to start some action that is what this post is about.

We need to know the interest to see what scope of project will be worthwhile.

This is all we want with this post to gather info on numbers

We have tons of members here and we our the hard core Sky lovers if we can only get 10-20 responses in this hot spot then we will concentrate on just our local area. Because we have a great core of people here and they want a club.

I hope you do to
sounds good to me

#11 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
The more I look into it -- The SPC is already there. And as the Saturn Performance Club, it has a bit of everything. From racing to cruising to social affairs. It is based out of Chicago and is already national.... To be a junior member costs nothing and if nothing eles allows us to plan events and not organize a club...:D
Rick, I purchased an non-redline with an automatic transmission, and plan no performance enhancements to my vehicle, so I doubt that I would feel at home at most SPC events (although I have never been to one of their events, and there is nothing planned for my state). I like the idea of a Junior membership for free, however.

#12 ·
Put me first in line.:cheers:

#13 ·
Well... just give me your input... i have emailed several clubs and havnt heard anything back yet.... just wanting to know their ways of running clubs.... bylaws...etc. etc..... ... HEY.. ALL.... YOU SHOULD COME UP FOR THE OCTOBER 1 WISCONSIN DELLS RUN..... gonna be GREAT....... SkyBaby-07

#16 ·
richm said:
Rick, I purchased an non-redline with an automatic transmission, and plan no performance enhancements to my vehicle, so I doubt that I would feel at home at most SPC events (although I have never been to one of their events, and there is nothing planned for my state). I like the idea of a Junior membership for free, however.
There events are not just performance.. As I stated - from racing to purely social. They sponsor road rallys, runs and parties - All levels of participation are represented. It is exactly what we are looking for and they did all the work!
Heck they even have apparel.:lol:
You do not have to be a racer to be part of the action.

#17 · (Edited)
Do we have anything in common except the first name

I never would have thought of Saturn as a car for me till this car? The Saturn name is the only thing we have in common with previous Saturns.

Rick you seen the turnout in Downers, very few if any sub 20 year olds, very few without some level of affluence.

This car is not practical and definately not boring.

I would say the average Sky owner would be more interested in get togethers, cruises, and shows rather than Hi-Performance oriented club.

I could be wrong but what we are tring to find out is what people want out of a club. I will go with the majority. Faults can be found in any plan. The easy way may not always be the best way. Hardwork does not bother me and I think you know Teri is a sparkplug.

We will gather the info on this so that no one will be overburdened by work.

I respect your opinions but at least give it a chance before dismissing this venture entirely.

We can debate at Kents cruise in August in Bloomington.
Have you laid out a route yet? P.M. me maybe we could coordinate a convoy to Bloomington. Talk later Buddy

#18 ·
Yes

I will in a heartbeat. I used to belong to zdriver when I had a 300zx and we would get together, maybe have lunch, then take a cruise around Northern California. It was so much fun. And new friends are always awesome! Believe it or not even when I had a Honda Element we would get together for camping trips and days in the sun.... always fun to discuss our hobby and meet new friends....

#19 ·
I see that there is a Southern California Redline Association getting together on August 12th, what looks like a formational meeting, selecting club officers, etc. It might be interesting to get some feedback from them about the club development process. This group will be for all Saturn Redlines, not just the Kappa cars.

#20 ·
SkyBaby said:
Well... just give me your input... i have emailed several clubs and havnt heard anything back yet.... just wanting to know their ways of running clubs.... bylaws...etc. etc..... ... HEY.. ALL.... YOU SHOULD COME UP FOR THE OCTOBER 1 WISCONSIN DELLS RUN..... gonna be GREAT....... SkyBaby-07
Way to go Teri! Keep promoting this event.

Aspenrose and I pre-ran the roads yesterday and this is going to be a great run.
We're going to do some adjustments to day 1 and eliminate about 20 miles of boring roads, and to route around a couple of bridges that are currently out. Other than that, the route is going to run as planned.

The vistas on this route are gorgeous, and will be even better when the leaves start to turn. Some pics from the pre-run are on the WiSols web site under "Events" (see my sig for link).

Watch the Dells thread for announcements which will be posted soon.

#21 ·
Count Greater Cincinnati In

I have posted feelers on starting a local Kappa chapter this website before, but with no response. I have a lot of experiece with forming car clubs. I started the CinZroadsters in 1999 which now has over 100 members (BMW Z3 and Z4). Some of the best people and best rimes of my life have been on these outings. I have many recorded great daytrips in southern Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. My thoughts are that there are just not enough Kappa cars on the road around here yet. Over the years I have approached hundreds of "Z" owners about joining our CinZroadster group. Only about one in fifty are ever interested. I recently ran into a Sol owner and proposed a club to him and he said no thanks. The best way to locate other Kappa owners is through the dealerships who sell them but in most cases they will not give out the names and addresses of customers. That is a shame. We print up club business cards and ask the sales men to pass them out when they sell a Z4. That has gotten some results. We also have members leave club business cards on parked Z cars, but you have have members first. You also have to spy some Kappa cars and that is very scarce aound here. I have hopes of making some contacts through this forum. Maybe I can get a local chapter going. Wish me luck.

#22 ·
richm said:
For me, it depends on what the club is all about, rallies versus racing, social versus car-oriented, destinations versus driving, casual versus formal, etc. I have been involved in several car clubs, motorcycle clubs, etc. National clubs have never worked out for me, because I never felt connected.

I am working on a Sky Club for the SouthWest with local chapters, but I want to support almost any effort to create a club for these wonderful cars. I was involved in a local Miata club the first year they came out, and it was a great experience. Later, as the number of Miatas grew, it wasn't as fun anymore. As a result, I would personally prefer a smaller local club, although I like the greater support, resources, and community choices available via regional or national websites (like this one).

I'm in richm, count on it: Sky Southwest:thumbs:

#23 · (Edited)
Eye on Sky said:
I never would have thought of Saturn as a car for me till this car? The Saturn name is the only thing we have in cimmon with previous Saturns.

Rick you seen the turnout in Downers, very few if any sub 20 year olds, very few without some level of affluence.

This car is not practical and definately not boring.

I would say the average Sky owner would be more interested in get togethers, cruises, and shows rather than Hi-Performance oriented club.

I could be wrong but what we are tring to find out is what people want out of a club. I will go with the majority. Faults can be found in any plan. The easy way may not always be the best way. Hardwork does not bother me and I think you know Teri is a sparkplug.

We will gather the info on this so that no one will be overburdened by work.

I respect your opinions but at least give it a chance before dismissing this venture entirely.

We can debate at Kents cruise in August in Bloomington.
Have you laid out a route yet? P.M. me maybe we could coordinate a convoy to Bloomington. Talk later Buddy
You are missing the poing the SPC HAS the social part... It is not all performance and racing and stuff --
Just trying to clue you in to a resource that exists rather than competing with it. They have participation at all levels....
What you are trying to do is invent a club that offers 1/5 of what is already done.

The same exact stuff you bring up is ALREADY OFFERED.
So while you may respect my opinion -- you are not listening to it. The club basically exists.... Join and plan away...! No re-organization nothing to do...

#24 ·
I'm IN!!!

As others have posted on this thread, I have tried to get some locals interested, but no luck.

I will be most interested in a club that has meet & greet, rallies, runs, shows,
a full mix of interesting things to do. I would also think that due to the low numbers of all KAPPA cars that it would be good to have both Sky & Solstice cars in the same club.

I am volunteering to help, organize, pitch in or otherwise assist any other Kappa owner to this end.

Count Me IN!!!

#25 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
The same exact stuff you bring up is ALREADY OFFERED.
So while you may respect my opinion -- you are not listening to it. The club basically exists.... Join and plan away...! No re-organization nothing to do...
Rick, am I understanding you right that the SPC is strictly Saturn? Do you think the Skys have more in common with the rest of the diverse Saturn cars then we would with our fraternal twin Solstice? IMHO a Kappa club makes more sense historically (both cars being launched relativley at the same time), technologically (same cars under the skin), communication-wise (forums administrated by the same owner/mods), and my perceived willingness on most Solstice & Sky owners that it would be in our best interests to pool our numbers.

#26 ·
Rick If i have offended you

I am sorry. I think Axel hit the nail on the head, as to what we hope to accomplish. I am one person and my thoughts matter to me as I see yours do to you. But we our tring to create a consensus as to what the whole wants.
I know you understand that.
Thanks Axel for articulating what I could not bring across clearly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.