The Peanut Festival Special - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Peanut Festival Special

Good Golly, Miss Molly! This is Gene Smith, September planner for the Jacksonville Roadster Club car run set for September 25 and 26. We haven’t even taken our August roadster run and I am putting out the information on the September run. That is because September will be a fun packed over night run to Cordele, Georgia and a ride on the SAM (Savannah, Americus and Montgomery) Shortline Excursion Train. It is a big weekend – Peanut Festival in Plains -- local residents and businesses take the Peanut Festival seriously, so, reservations at hotels and for the train have to be made early. We begin boarding the train at the downtown Cordele Station at 8:40am Saturday morning, September 26, with the train departing at 9:00am. Our destination aboard “The Peanut Festival Special” is Plains, GA. There is a three-hour layover in Plains. You can mingle at the Peanut Festival for the layover time or for an additional fee with tickets purchased at the festival take a mini-excursion aboard the SAM Shortline to Archery and the boyhood home of President Jimmy Carter. At 2:05pm, the SAM Shortline train departs Plains for the return trip to Cordele arriving at 4:00pm. Because of the early hour boarding Saturday morning, I suggest driving to Cordele (due north on I-75 from Florida) on Friday evening and staying at a motel. Karen and I will stay at the Fairfield Inn and Suites, 2001 16th Avenue East, Cordele (Exit 101) Friday evening. Make your own arrangement for lodging. Wherever you stay, we meet in the Fairfield Inn and Suites parking not later than 8:00am on Saturday, September 26 and immediately motorcade to the downtown train station. Parking is available at the train station/museum. Reserve your SAM Shortline Excursion train tickets by going to SAM Shortline Railway - SAM Shortline | Southeast Georgia Excursion Train - Travel, Ride, Sightseeing, Families, Kids | SAM Shortline Excursion Train. Click on “Order Tickets” and “Click here for 2015 schedule”. Scroll down to September 26th and click on “The Peanut Festival Special” and purchase your ticket. The SAM Shortline Excursion Train offers three classes of tickets. We selected the middle “Premium” seating at $39.99 per person. The rail car offers tables and chairs for two or four guests and complimentary snack mix on each table with one free drink from the concession car. For more information, call (229) 276-0755. Karen and I hope you will join us in Cordele on Friday evening, September 25 for some fun in the Georgia sun on Saturday. A Friday evening dinner get together is planned at 6:00pm. Please let me know if you plan to make the Jacksonville Roadsters Club September run so I can make dinner reservations for Friday evening at the Daphne Lodge Restaurant located 10 miles west of Cordele on beautiful Lake Blackshear. My E-mail address is [email protected]. In the event you can’t find us in Cordele or you have questions, my cell number is (386) 931-2700. Reminder, please make your train and lodging reservations immediately because this is a big weekend for the Cordele to Plains area. I’ve got Georgia on my mind in September. See you in Cordele.
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just an FYI...I went to the festival about 10 years ago where Jimmy Carter was signing books. You can tour his high school and his boyhood home(as you mentioned). I saw no mention of staying over Sunday. On Sundays Jimmy Carter used to give a Sunday school lesson at his church and afterwards he would let you get your picture taken with Rosalyn and him. Most people don't care much for him, but what other ex-President makes himself that accessible?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Southeast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in