Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Great Lakes Sky Club

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Great Lakes Sky-Sol Club

Votes: 2 11.8%

Michigan Sky Club

14K views 119 replies 14 participants last post by  kphelgerson 
#1 ·
Or just MSG. I'm searching for a fancy title. Anyone out there interested in a group forming in the region of Southwest MI? I'm from Richland, MI, where the only local excitement lately is warring against having a gravel pit obliterate 671 acres 1/2 mile from the heart of our little town. Having a group of us who know eachother could be fun...at least group therapy could be cheaper while we all mourn for spring and in my case the arrival of my Sky RL.
Hello? Anyone out there?

#2 ·
:willy: Wait a minute, are you ordering from Kalamazoo or GR? I got a call from both!! I thought I was the first on the list, but it seems now I am not! I live in the Dorr area, where the excitement is....well there really isn't any!!!! I am oredering a sunburst yellow redline.
Have they told when it is coming in yet? Kalamazoo ordered mine sometime in Nov too, but have not heard of an arrival date yet. Hopefully not when it is snowing!!!!

#5 ·
Hey there! It's just great to find out who is out there from around here. I ordered from Saturn of Kalamazoo. They haven't even gotten me an order number yet...I guess there is a delay between telling the salesman what you want and actually getting an order number. He said expect it in the spring. I wanted to tell him that isn't very exact, but he knows that. I almost got the yellow one, was pretty evenly split between the yellow, midnight blue and the bluestone. At the last day, when they called me to order, I went with the midnight blue. Don't think that I haven't had doubts about that since. Usually I think "not enough choices" and now I think "too many choices!":banghead:

#6 ·
Here's my :jm2c: If we get to know who we are (we can sort of follow our posts on the different forums....), we can start to be mutually depressed about the winter until the spring, when we may actually be able to drive...
and perhaps plan some get-together eventually.
I'll look forward to more folks posting here.

#7 ·
If that's your Sky in your avatar your's looks black. Is it? I'm interested in how many people in Michigan have their Sky and how many have yet to get it but have ordered it. Yes, I will start to keep a list of folks from MI, and keep you all posted if you allow private messages.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm in..... MRSSKY and I are in the "other" corner of the state but that should not stop us from creating the Michigan Sky Club....

MSC..... has a nice ring to it..... MSG reminds me of Mono-Sodium Glutamate (sp?) Anybody got another suggestion for a name?

Looks like my RedLine could be here in the middle of winter, like January or February.....

Just found out that the company where I'm doing consulting work supplies the pedal assemblies and that the Wilmington plant is going to start working Saturdays.... :cool:

HoldHard

#14 ·
Very interested in a club....MSC......has a ring to it!!
We should get some type of cards (business or flyers), I say this because i come in contact with a few sky owners whom never heard of this forum, as well as new club members also, we could pass them out at some dealership for future Sky owners. And get this club going by 2007 spring. We kick off spring with a "Spring brunch get together".
I have a lot of idea, (being a member of the M.C.V.O. motor city viper owners).....i WAS on that board for 4 yrs.

We could also meet up with our fellow forum members in different states etc... :cheers: .......I am geek! :yay:

#17 ·
We are interested in a cruise anywhere...when we get our Redline!! Oh, and after the snow stops! Looks like a winter arrival. I would say first big snowstorm it will arrive!!!:rolleyes:

#21 ·
As with MRSSKY, I've been on the board of directors of a formal organization and participated in a dealer sponsored Corvette club here in the Detroit suburbs. These types of clubs are usually social organizations that have elected officers, formal by-laws, monthly board and membership meetings at the dealership and chairpersons for different segments of the club (car show, auto cross competition, social events, cruise events, etc.). With performance cars like Vipers and Corvettes, there are usually two camps, the car show people and the racing people.

It takes an enormous amount of dedication and volunteer time to make these types of clubs go. As with all social organizations, someone will always complain (or maybe this is just limited to 'Vette owners) about how this was run, or why did Joe and Sally win that trophy or who has the proven background to judge the car show. The election of officers becomes a popularity contest and I've seen some nice people get elected but then they couldn't get any help from others to run the time consuming activities such as treasurer and secretary.

Yes, there were annual dues, shirts, chairs and name badges to buy. Some of the ongoing cost was absorbed by the sponsoring dealership for printed materials and banners which could be written off as advertising and dealer participation was absolutely key. There had to be a benefit to the dealership owner, a very visible benefit before they would consider funding the club.

I'm also a current member of a worldwide "club" with just over a million members that is sponsored by another well know vehicle manufacturer. That one is a bit less formal (there are by-laws but the officer positions are "handed down" from the prior office holder) and it's focus is raising money for charities with organized rides. The local chapter has so many members that there are two monthly meetings because the facility cannot hold everyone (and the beer stays colder :D ).

Personally and from other threads on this site it looks like people have the most fun just getting together informally with a destination in mind, get something to eat and enjoy driving the car.

Just my :jm2c:

Actually looking back at the length of this post, it's more like a $1.00..... and all this from someone that doesn't even own a Sky yet.....

HoldHard

#22 ·
As with MRSSKY, I've been on the board of directors of a formal organization and participated in a dealer sponsored Corvette club here in the Detroit suburbs. These types of clubs are usually social organizations that have elected officers, formal by-laws, monthly board and membership meetings at the dealership and chairpersons for different segments of the club (car show, auto cross competition, social events, cruise events, etc.). With performance cars like Vipers and Corvettes, there are usually two camps, the car show people and the racing people.

It takes an enormous amount of dedication and volunteer time to make these types of clubs go. As with all social organizations, someone will always complain (or maybe this is just limited to 'Vette owners) about how this was run, or why did Joe and Sally win that trophy or who has the proven background to judge the car show. The election of officers becomes a popularity contest and I've seen some nice people get elected but then they couldn't get any help from others to run the time consuming activities such as treasurer and secretary.

Yes, there were annual dues, shirts, chairs and name badges to buy. Some of the ongoing cost was absorbed by the sponsoring dealership for printed materials and banners which could be written off as advertising and dealer participation was absolutely key. There had to be a benefit to the dealership owner, a very visible benefit before they would consider funding the club.

I'm also a current member of a worldwide "club" with just over a million members that is sponsored by another well know vehicle manufacturer. That one is a bit less formal (there are by-laws but the officer positions are "handed down" from the prior office holder) and it's focus is raising money for charities with organized rides. The local chapter has so many members that there are two monthly meetings because the facility cannot hold everyone (and the beer stays colder :D ).

Personally and from other threads on this site it looks like people have the most fun just getting together informally with a destination in mind, get something to eat and enjoy driving the car.

Just my :jm2c:

Actually looking back at the length of this post, it's more like a $1.00..... and all this from someone that doesn't even own a Sky yet.....

HoldHard

I Agree :agree: .....lets keep this informal.(just my opinion)....the Viper Club over the past years has gotten very clicky.....in the beginning there was a lot of participation, but like everything else it loses its appeal or glamour if you will.....and its basically the same people at every event, doing all the work...... sometimes the dedication is not evident among all the club members, again the same people....if we keep it informal, then there seems to be less of have to do attiude and more of a casual get together and meeting of new friends. Although there are the planner's that are great at what they do, if we all pitch in and give our :jm2c: worth it could be a Fun group of sky owners.......sometimes when we give people the power to make decisions for us , there are always a difference of opinion....so simple is sometimes better..I say if a person wants to plan and event lets take a count and get together. If 4 skys show up find! then it becomes a smaller event, if 20 show up then its a larger event in any case we are ALL participating in our hobby that we enjoy...OUR "sky's"!! :willy: Does that make any sense??

#27 ·
Mi Kappa Club

Mi Kappa Club is fine by me. Jason, are you of an opinion? How about the other 282 people who have looked here? Come on, let us know who you are!
If you are from Michigan, we want to know you; at least we can commisserate together about the weather until we have our cars out in the spring. Although I took a 10 mile spin on my Goldwing yesterday, and if I'd had the Sky I would have been in it, top down, just for fun.
Come on, you know who you are. You've just read this, now post a note.
We don't care if you are from Ohio or Indiana! Just post.

#43 ·
Mi Kappa Club is fine by me. Jason, are you of an opinion? How about the other 282 people who have looked here? Come on, let us know who you are!
If you are from Michigan, we want to know you; at least we can commisserate together about the weather until we have our cars out in the spring. Although I took a 10 mile spin on my Goldwing yesterday, and if I'd had the Sky I would have been in it, top down, just for fun.
Come on, you know who you are. You've just read this, now post a note.
We don't care if you are from Ohio or Indiana! Just post.

I'm likewise from this wonderful cold state of MI. I'm in the Lansing area. I'd likely have interest in a club of some sort, but also agree to INFORMAL. Being a co-founder of a motorcycle group, I found the same as many have mentioned, which is a 'have to, rather than want to' and the same people doing all the work, or the same people showing up for events. I think informal has the benefit of being less politics involved that eventually dissolve the group. This all being aside from the mention that everyone has busy schedules, and may not be able to attend 'mandatory events/meetings' but surely will come out to share the passion of enjoying their vehicle 'when they can'...

Keep me in the loop. Although I don't yet have the car, I am in the group heavily anticipating such a wonderful addition to my garage. :cheers:

#28 ·
Hey, Guys I don't really care what we are called, its nice to have a club name for the simple fact is, if we decide we want t-shirt's or hats....we can wear our club logo.....something fun! :thumbs:

#29 · (Edited)
Ok All Time To Vote

VOTE...take the poll. Open for 30 days. At the end, we'll see if there were other ideas or if one of these wins.

And hey, I looked at all the Sky/Sol clubs on our Forum at "List of all Kappa / Sky / Solstice Car Clubs" and we are listed as a $20 dues structured club. Hmmmm. Anyone know what to do about this? Is there already another club of which we are unaware, and yet they are linking to this thread?

#31 ·
VOTE...take the poll. Open for 30 days. At the end, we'll see if there were other ideas or if one of these wins.

And hey, I looked at all the Sky/Sol clubs on our Forum at "List of all Kappa / Sky / Solstice Car Clubs" and we are listed as a $20 dues structured club. Hmmmm. Anyone know what to do about this? Is there already another club of which we are unaware, and yet they are linking to this thread?
That was done brfore you ever came on this forum. Look it up again and see who the poster is. That is a club listing nationwide...Skip...:) :)

#30 ·
I must admit, I like "MI Sky Club". It has a nice ring to it. I agree on keeping it an informal get together. I think when I get my Sky it will be nice just to drive it around...when it's nice for 6 months out of the year!!!!! The other six months I will sit in it in the garage. You know, big lights on me, sunglasses, and a fan blowing heat!!!! Sounds Good!:)

#33 ·
I was just checking in, I see more people have voted! Excellent! I have to tell everyone that I spent all day yesterday driving a base sky around! My wife is sick of hearing about how much fun it was. Can't wait for the Redline in December!!!!! If I knew how to post the pics I would!!

#34 ·
jason said:
If I knew how to post the pics I would!!
After clicking on "Post Reply" scroll down and there is a button that reads Manage Attachments. Another window will open and then click on the "Browse" button to look around on your computer for the images you want to to attached to your post.

There are file size limits so you might have to use a photo editor to resize them before they will upload.

Hope That Helps

HoldHard

#36 ·
I like the idea of "Michigan Kappa Club" as it welcomes both the Sol and the Sky. I'm in SE Michigan and would like to see an informal club to start with as it is easier to go from "informal" to a "formal" club than visa-versa.
If we need caps or shirts, etc., my company can help out if needed- we make 10's of 1000's of them.
Count me in for a club get-to-gather to go over the ideas- even here in the winter we could meet to be ready for spring.

#37 ·
I like the idea of "Michigan Kappa Club" as it welcomes both the Sol and the Sky. I'm in SE Michigan and would like to see an informal club to start with as it is easier to go from "informal" to a "formal" club than visa-versa.
If we need caps or shirts, etc., my company can help out if needed- we make 10's of 1000's of them.
Count me in for a club get-to-gather to go over the ideas- even here in the winter we could meet to be ready for spring.
Kool...thats what I'm talkin about......

#41 ·
I am discussing with Brentl about re-starting our poll. As we can see, there are 9 voters so far, and Great Lakes Kappa Club wasn't one of the options and should have been. Now that we have some idea of the others' votes, maybe we should re-start. We'll see how it goes. I'd vote for Great Lakes Kappa Club myself if it was there.

#42 ·
Here are the pictures...notice there is no smile. I was about to return it...I think you can see a tear!!! I think I will feel better when the Redline gets here. Hopefully by then all the snow will be gone!!

Attachments

#45 ·
A get together before the spring would be fun. Anyone have an idea where?
kphelgerson, since you started the post, maybe you have an idea? Dorr.....ya, we have gas stations!!!:)

#47 ·
Hi everyone

Welcome to newest posters Flipper52170 and Uptownmarie. I'm sorry about my absence, computer had a hiccup per the fix-r-up man, and needs the hard-drive re-booted. Thank God for a back-up hard drive I installed months ago. Gigs and Gigs of stuff saved.
Anyway, now I can only post at work until it's fixed. Aiming for a few other kinks to be fixed, so it'll take a while.
Jason, you and I can meet more easily. We're on the west. The rest are central or east, and I don't know where Washington, MI is at all. Any hints, or do I need to Google it?
I'm perfectly fine with MI Kappa Club or Great Lakes Kappa Club. I think the voters have spoken, I'm only sad I didn't have the GLKC option from the beginning. So when this poll expires, I think I'll arrange another one. No rush, it isn't like we need shirts right away.
If we all got together wihout our cars it would be a little pathetic, and we'd all:drool: on SWTSKY, not that MRSSKY would mind our praise, I'm sure. Oh, and there's that pretty Solstice, too. Nearly went for that myself. So what do the rest of you think?

#51 ·
Welcome to newest posters Flipper52170 and Uptownmarie. .....Jason, you and I can meet more easily. We're on the west. The rest are central or east, and I don't know where Washington, MI is at all. Any hints, or do I need to Google it?
?
Washington MI is about 40 Miles north of Detroit, have wheels, will travel:yay: (hey you guys need a "driving" smilies!)

#48 ·
just got a call!!!

I just got a call from Kalamazoo, they got their Redline in!! Going to test drive it this weekend. Wish mine were here, but the weather is a good reality check!!!!! Will definately take more pics!!
By the way, kphelgerson you must be ahead of me on their list, they said another month before they could order mine there. Will be getting my deposit back. GR already ordered mine. Kalamazoo said in Nov. that it would be ordered, but they must have a smaller allocation than they thought. Which reminds me, check the status of my car!

#49 ·
I just got a call from Kalamazoo, they got their Redline in!! Going to test drive it this weekend. Wish mine were here, but the weather is a good reality check!!!!!
Reality check indeed at 14 degrees the other day. Not top-down weather.
Post photos!

#50 ·
Redline could be here by this weekend!!!

:willy: :willy: I test drove the redline at Kalamazoo, kphelgerson, you may want to call and ask what is going on with yours! I was there yesterday, test drove the redline, and they asked if I was ready for mine!! You bet!!! I couldn't sllep at all last night, it is definately worth the wait! One word describes it for me:UNBELIEVABLE::eek:

#53 ·
Pesky Hoosiers..........

I'm just across the MI line in the South Bend, IN area as are several other Kappa owners. Can we be in your club too?? Seriously, call it what you will GLKC or MKC or......, with the fun other groups have had already, SkyWidow and I are interested in being a part of it. Thanks.

On the RedLine Order Waiting List, Delivery May/June '07???
Sky Driver, R-L

#54 ·
I'm just across the MI line in the South Bend, IN area as are several other Kappa owners. Can we be in your club too??
ABSOLUTELY!!!! Anybody that lives in a town with TouchDown Jesus on the University's wall has my "blessing"....... (gonna pay for that one someday......) :D

HoldHard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.