LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Garage
Another SoCal Mod Day, Sept 3-4, 2016

So Jgassor got some new bits he wants to put on his car and I should be getting some soon as well so it looks like it's time for another SoCal Mod Day!

The last two we have had have been fantastic and a ton of fun. Kappa folks getting together, turning wrenches, learning about their car and getting dirty (with a few adult beverages consumed in moderation...hey, it's tradition...).

If you have been thinking about purchasing a few bits for your car, live in the SoCal area (we'll probably be doing this in Temecula at my place again), and/or just want to learn a bit more about how to work on your Kappa (After all, this is open to Solstice owners too...I usually rock my Pontiac Club Grand Prix shirt when looking like a homeless man working on the cars) come on out.

I should add here that these "mod days" aren't just about working on cars, they are great social opportunities as well. It's a chance to enjoy the car in a different way than your usual weekend drives. So even if you have no interest in wrenching on your car come on out and meet other Kappa owners. I mean, we may even get @skersfan out to this even those he doesn't mod his cars...

So right now, the three weekends I have in mind are:

August 27-28
Official date: September 3-4
September 10-11

I'm starting to move this month and may not be done until early August and the mods jgassor and I are doing we need done before our next autocross event September 17-18. I prefer not to do it on the 10-11 because if jgassor or I have an issue, we may need that weekend to resolve it before Autocross (though not like I haven't had him come over during the week before Autocross to make some last minute adjustments...LOL).

Right now, jgassors mods will probably take 2-4 hours and the ones I'm doing...well...they will take at least as long if not longer but that is assuming we only have 2 people working on the cars. Since both his car and my car will be doing multiple mods in different areas of the car, the more people we have the faster it will go. Right now with jgassors mods we could have 2 people working on it and be done in 2 hours easy. I wish I had the space to get more than one car in the garage at a time but I don't. However, if you have simple mods that don't require the car getting jacked up in the air, we can work on two cars at a time.

So far, here are the mods I'm going to be planning for my car (if all goes according to plan):

3.0" cold side charge pipe
Center feed fuel rail
High Flow Fuel Pump
High Flow Cat
5K springs on front coil overs

I'll list jgassers as soon as I get confirmation he is going and he can wait this long to put on his new bits.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 07-22-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Taz

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Sounds like fun, Robo, but a "dyno day" is what I'm after...
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Should have told me. A GM club I hang with just had one up in the valley here a couple months back. $50 for 2 pulls...something like that.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
A dyno day would be of interest at some point for me too, and with the changes you are making hourly it seems Robo, a dyno pull would be of interest for your Sky

I will be available for all three of those weekends but I may have just messed up my next autocross run as I am planning for a trip to the UK for my Dad's birthday, which is on Sept 17th. I guess I should have booked him on a flight to come out and yell "you suck! Get of the track!" as I try and beat Robo's lap time (always 5 seconds faster than me). So much for getting my DDM braces ordered and fitted before the next autocross run, which I guess it still will be if I wont be racing till October

On an unrelated note, I just got my Sky smog checked yesterday (first time since purchasing) and she passed with flying colors. I mention this because I didnt know how a smog check would go in California after having the Trifecta tune in place. I let the smog check occur with Trifecta enabled. So if anyone ever has this concern, with a stock Redline, Trifecta does not impact certification (if other parts were in place, like CAI etc. it could be a different story). Some discussion I had a while back (on either this forum or in person, I dont recall) raised concern as to how it may affect emissions but no impact experienced. I love my Trifecta tune !

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgassor View Post
A dyno day would be of interest at some point for me too, and with the changes you are making hourly it seems Robo, a dyno pull would be of interest for your Sky
Hey! I have a goal and once I reach it this will stop...

...yea...right...

I was under my car to do the diffuser this weekend and found out my exhaust is loose. That's never any good for tuning or running. It's not like hanging off the car but either the bolts we used stretched or something because while they're tight, the exhaust can be moved around considerably and easily. Uhg.

My concern was if I tried to remove the bolts holding the exhaust on and replace them, I could snap one off in the cat (been there, done that) and, at that point, I would need to take the cat off completely to get it out and replaced. At that point, if I'm doing all that, I'd rather be putting a High flow in. Ergo the new cat. Though that may even go in before the Mod Day depending on when I get it and how much it makes me mental knowing it's like that.

Quote:
I will be available for all three of those weekends but I may have just messed up my next autocross run as I am planning for a trip to the UK for my Dad's birthday, which is on Sept 17th. I guess I should have booked him on a flight to come out and yell "you suck! Get of the track!" as I try and beat Robo's lap time (always 5 seconds faster than me). So much for getting my DDM braces ordered and fitted before the next autocross run, which I guess it still will be if I wont be racing till October
I say your tires are at least 2 seconds of that. Yes, your braces will be here before your next autocross but you should have checked the calendar. LOL

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I just got my Sky smog checked yesterday (first time since purchasing) and she passed with flying colors. I mention this because I didnt know how a smog check would go in California after having the Trifecta tune in place. I let the smog check occur with Trifecta enabled. So if anyone ever has this concern, with a stock Redline, Trifecta does not impact certification (if other parts were in place, like CAI etc. it could be a different story). Some discussion I had a while back (on either this forum or in person, I dont recall) raised concern as to how it may affect emissions but no impact experienced. I love my Trifecta tune !
Did they put it on the roller? My understanding is that now all you need to do to pass smog is to pass the diagnostic check and visual. I was told the roller check is no longer necessary. If you have the GMPP intake you would have no issues too since it has a CARB number. Cat back exhaust wouldn't affect it either.

Anything without a CARB number is a POTENTIAL problem. I imagine though if you put on an aftermarket Turbo and it LOOKED factory (and had no engine codes) you would be fine. Same with getting aftermarket charge pipes that were natural or flat black finish, injectors, intercoolers that didn't scream "I'M NOT STOCK" (like, having the manufacturer's name painted and visible across the front of it), and engine internals like valve springs, pistons, rods, head work, etc. Swapping out your factory cat for a high flow would be fairly obvious (they look nothing alike and the high flow looks aftermarket because it's not big, bulky and ugly) as would anything using AN fittings or powder coated parts. (I know, seems silly but I've seen cars fail visual because they had factory OEM parts powder coated on the engine.)

I felt the Trifecta tune would pass smog even under the roller test since my HIGHLY modified Grand Prix would pass the roller test no problem (big cam, huge injectors, 18 psi of boost from an aftermarket supercharger, ported and polished heads with heavier springs and bigger valves, 160* t-stat, colder plugs, headers...which ironically were the only CARB legal part on the car..., etc etc etc)
christopher_2 likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 07-06-2016 at 05:15 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hey Robo, I'm open both weekends in September for sure, Dyno day or not. Let me know.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
This definitely won't be a dyno day, this will be a mod day. If you're interested in a Dyno Day, I might be able to find a place willing to do it and get pricing but you usually need at least 10 cars to make it worth their time.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I say your tires are at least 2 seconds of that. Yes, your braces will be here before your next autocross but you should have checked the calendar. LOL

Did they put it on the roller? My understanding is that now all you need to do to pass smog is to pass the diagnostic check and visual. I was told the roller check is no longer necessary.
I agree on the tires, and for trying to make me feel better!!
Yeah I should have looked at the calendar but didnt want to miss another birthday. Both my parents just turned 70 in the last 9 months and I was not there for that milestone due to work commitments. I also dont want to miss another autocross

I mainly sat in the smog inspection office, so I was not paying a lot of attention but it did look like my Sky was sitting on rollers in their workspace, but that may no longer be used based on what you have reported. The copy of the report I received, indicates a lot of visual inspections, including turbocharger, EVAP, vacuum lines etc., but under emission control checks, only three items are listed (Liquid Fuel Leak Check, Smoke check, OBDII).

This was a 'hole-in-the-wall' inspection only place, but came highly rated on Yelp so I gave them a shot. Super quick too. I was 30 minutes, door-to-door. Will use them again

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
Why do I need to hang around with a bunch beer drinking hot rodders. My car does not have mods, and I have no intentions of making any. Oh I do like the new Corvette, carbon fiber steering wheel. Of course it has the stock buttons and Opel airbag to keep it no mods!

Okay Robo, listen to this. I am driving the yellow car to the Gunnison, Colorado Car Show, August 18-21st. Not in the trailer, but actually driving it there and back. I may have to come to the mod day just to clean I up. This is a big step for me and this car.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I won't believe it until I see you do it. LOL I hope you come out to the mod day anyway because I want to see that new wheel...

...still hate you for that. LOL

And why wouldn't you want to come hang out with a bunch of Hot Rodders!? We're fun...and we have cookies.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
You do remember we have Tuxies this Friday night correct? Looks like I will have all of mine there. Gassor says he is coming. I need to call Gabe.

Anyone heard from Razz?
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I haven't heard from Razz in a while. We need to reach out to him.

Gabe's car may not be back from the brake guys. (Good god those brakes are beautiful.)

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Any particular time to show up at Tuxies Bob? I am still up for it tonight.

Jim
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
He said he's going to try and get there around 3 or 3:30. I won't be leaving work until then but hope to show up by 4:30.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 01:28 PM

Ok thanks Robo. I thought this was going to later in the evening. I will try and get there for 4:30pm as well (wouldn't normally finish work until 4:30pm-5pm most days).

Jim

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in