Another SoCal Mod Day, Sept 3-4, 2016 - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Pacific California | Idaho | Nevada | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
We going to be wrenching on your car Gabe?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
No, not this time, so I'll be an extra set of hands to help out. Love these Kappa meets!!
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Garage
I have not decided which car I am bringing. But it will involve re doing the tune on them. I have an update from DDM for the Mallett and may just go the DDM tune on my Skpel or Skytlls. I think all other mods are done on the Sky's, and the Mallett is a no MOD car as you well know Robo!!! I need to go see if the Mallett is still in the garage. Haven't looked at it since we took it to Tuxies.
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I may be adding a fan install and water return line rerouting to my build list...uhg.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Well at least we have done the fan install before Robo. I now will be adding the trunk mod as I purchased the widget from Germany to lift the trunk lid with the damper (if we have time).

We talk about "Mod Day" and agreed on Sept 3rd-4th weekend but I dont think we chose the 3rd or the 4th specifically (unless its gonna turn into two days!). Any particular day that works best? I may want to bring my jack and stands down to you ahead of time (and can bring ramps, extra tools etc.) so we have extra lifting abilities. Hoping we can coordinate around your neighbors Robo, so as not to tick them off (or maybe ply them with wine to borrow their garage space )

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta and DDM bracing
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, I'm actually calling it both days and here is why.

At this time, I think only your car and mine need to be up on jack stands for some of the work we're doing to them. We can only jack them up on concrete (The jack stands will sink into the asphalt...don't ask me how I know this) and thus we can only put one car up at a time. For the suspension stuff on your car, it really needs to be on jack stands and since I'm physically removing my front dampers I have to have it on jack stands. So we will only be putting one car up in the air at a time.

For my car, the fuel pump, fuel rail and charge pipes can all be done on the ground but the cat and front springs require it to be put in the air. For your car, the trunk gadget and Venom brace can be installed on the ground but your car needs to be in the air for the backbone brace and Probeam.

Now, the trick is BOTH our cars need to have a cool exhaust to work on them since we're going to be working around the exhaust on both. Mine will start cold since I'm already at home and won't need to drive it there. Yours will be hot as hell coming in from Elsinore.

Ergo, my plan may be to do my springs and cat while we do the trunk thing and Venom brace on your car then switch them out and do the Probeam and backbone on yours while doing the rail and pump on mine.

HOWEVER...the problem with this plan is I have NO idea how long it's going to take me to do those projects on my car. The cat could have complications necessitating it staying up on stands longer than expected (if the bolts holding it to the turbo become pain in the azzes and seize or break) and I don't know how long it will take to get the springs on and set properly (ride height is going to be the fun one here with the softer springs). Thus your mods would be delayed possibly until Sunday which I don't want to make you stay the night.

SO, my plan is to get your car in the garage first, get it up in the air, do the trunk and Venom brace while the exhaust cools (with the help of maybe a fan or two) and then tackle the Probeam and Backbone. Get that all done, then do my car. If there is a major problem with my car though, I'm going to have to make an emergency run to the dealer (or order parts ahead of time) and my car may be up on the stands overnight...which is fine since, well, I live there and will be staying there ANYWAY. LOL Then the project can conclude the following day.

So really, the mod day would be the 3rd AND 4th quite possibly. The 3rd would probably be more hectic and full while the 4th is more the Plan B day if things go wrong or take longer than expected on the 3rd.

Plan B...ALWAYS have a Plan B...LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 08-09-2016 at 04:21 PM.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 PM

got it, thanks for the background and the tip about asphalt, as I would not have thought about that! I may want to make a run down to your place the night before to drop off items that could be useful over the weekend, subject to your availability. Will hook up with you closer to the day

Jim
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Garage
I have pads that can go under jack stands that I use to support my motor home. Doubtful the jacks will go through them. Let me know if you want me to bring them. I can actually get them to you earlier, in case I don't make the mod day. First week end of college football, will depend on who and when they are playing.

First mention here. The Palm Springs run will be the weekend of the 24th-25th of September. Looking at a new route, and may just be to Palm Springs, dropping the Hemet part.
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
First mention here. The Palm Springs run will be the weekend of the 24th-25th of September. Looking at a new route, and may just be to Palm Springs, dropping the Hemet part.
Yeah thanks Bob, I know you intentionally booked this knowing I would be out of the country and I really like that run!

Jim
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Garage
Actually not true. I gave Myrna two dates, she chose this one and never even told me so. I just found out by going to the website. Sorry man! I will get you a shirt for it though. I am having the ones from last year made, as they failed miserably on that. So some will get two shirts at this event. Working on sponsors. Most likely be DDM. Solo Performance and Windrestrictor.
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The second issue with jacking up a car is...

...the association won't appreciate us doing that in a fire lane. Really don't need that kind of attention drawn upon us. So the pads would be perfect...if there was the proper room.

That weekend will be perfect. Autocross is the weekend before.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay folks. This is coming up in less than two weeks. I don't think anything else has been added to the agenda.

To recap:

On jgasser's car we're doing Probeam, Venom Brace and Backbone.

On my car...there's a longer list:
Fuel Pump
Fuel Rail
Upper radiator hose
Rerouting turbo coolant return line (still need a couple parts for this)
Radiator Fan (should be here by Friday)
Hot and Cold pipes (replacing and updating...my new ones are finally here and done!)
High flow cat
5K springs on front BC Coil Overs
Bleed Left Front Brake Caliper

I want to get jgasser's car done first but since he's driving in (and we need to drop the rear of his exhaust for the Pro Beam and Back Bone) we may need to let his car sit a bit and cool off. So I'm thinking we may do the fuel rail and fuel pump on my car first since it won't need to be jacked up for these) then, once that's done, move jgasser's car into the garage and get it done. Then move my car back in, jack it up, and tackle the rest. That's the plan. I'll have drinks but we will probably take a collection for pizza...damn AC repair killed my budget.

I have the garage set up for a live feed of the mod day(s) on the Internet but last time I checked the video stream connection it was...well...it sucked. Really laggy, super slow, and the connection to the internet was intermittent. Even regular browsing gets interrupted with the network dropping off and picking back up. I don't know what's going on with it but I have too much going on at the moment to look at it.

We will have instructions and guides up on the flat screen TV/monitor I installed in the garage for this mod day (and any other build days). Can also use it for movies and music so will have a bit of entertainment going on while we work.

Look forward to this mod day. Hopefully get these two cars sorted out for Autocross even though jgasser won't be doing that until October.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 08-24-2016 at 07:27 PM.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Hmmm, need to figure out how set up a webcam in my garage, you guys can stream my turn indicator repair, and laugh at me.. oh no er I meant give me pointers and tips on what I am doing wrong.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Hmmm, need to figure out how set up a webcam in my garage, you guys can stream my turn indicator repair, and laugh at me.. oh no er I meant give me pointers and tips on what I am doing wrong.
Easy to do. I got a cheap $50 camera and a 33' USB cable/repeater. Easy to stream after that so long as you have the upstream bandwidth (which I don't. Yet).

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
ROBO, what's up man!?!!!?!!!?! What time are you thinking of starting?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in