Pacific California | Idaho | Nevada | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings!

Wasup guys, just got a 07 NA Sky 58xxx , looking forward to see others ! kinda notice most of the people here in socal that has a sky are so farrrrr away from me, I live in Torrance lol!
Anyways I got it out of CarMax which I had a good deal with bought it for 11k! and first thing I did, I went to GMC to get it inspected they asked 350 bucks for it and theyre telling me that its not under warranty anymore, for what I remembered its 60xxx for powertrain? any feedback on what I should check and get replaced will be greatly appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Garage
The car is almost 9 years old and the powertrain warranty is up in 5 years IIRC. Unless it was a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty (Which GM doesn't offer, but you can get an extended warranty) it is going to be out of warranty.

I highly recommend getting an extended warranty if you can. I have one, and normally don't get them, but I have already used it to replace my Limited Slip Differential (a common problem on early 07s like mine and a $1,500 or so repair) and the water pump (also a $1,000 repair).

Other than that, welcome to the forum and yes, most of us on here are Orange County, Inland Empire (come to the dark side) or San Diego.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The car is almost 9 years old and the powertrain warranty is up in 5 years IIRC. Unless it was a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty (Which GM doesn't offer, but you can get an extended warranty) it is going to be out of warranty.

I highly recommend getting an extended warranty if you can. I have one, and normally don't get them, but I have already used it to replace my Limited Slip Differential (a common problem on early 07s like mine and a $1,500 or so repair) and the water pump (also a $1,000 repair).

Other than that, welcome to the forum and yes, most of us on here are Orange County, Inland Empire (come to the dark side) or San Diego.
I was thinking about getting a extended warranty but not sure where, bought the sky from CarMax but heard a lot of negative review about their extended warranty. should I get one from the dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thumbs up

I wouldn't buy an extended warranty at all on that old bird.. Put that money into a savings account and use it for repairs. find out what an extended warranty covers, the co-pays, deductibles, and how much they want down and monthly. Then PAY yourself that money.. should anything ever crap out you'll have the doe..otherwise after awhile, pocket your money IF not needed or used.. ESPECIALLY if the NA is running great. Try and get the entire history of work done at a dealer, that should be your guide.. I also own a 07 NA, 75k+ miles on it. Still on the original water pump, (knock on wood), and as long as the modification that GM put out years ago, the rear end should be good to go. Just do your maintenance. I change to fluids every 50K miles. (tranny and rear end), go by the DIC for oil change and filter and change the coolant every 3 years.. Finally check the battery you have, make sure its not the original one if you can. IF it is replace that..

BTW, welcome to forum..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 10-21-2015 at 01:26 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I am with MB on the warranty. But.... Carmax is pretty solid on their's. Personally, I turned down their offer of one, because mine was such low mileage and I was going to return it right away if there were any issues when my mechanic inspected it. The main issue I have heard is that sometimes you have to get help from Carmax to force the shop doing the repairs to actually agree that it is covered under warranty.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty at all on that old bird.. Put that money into a savings account and use it for repairs. find out what an extended warranty covers, the co-pays, deductibles, and how much they want down and monthly. Then PAY yourself that money.. should anything ever crap out you'll have the doe..otherwise after awhile, pocket your money IF not needed or used.. ESPECIALLY if the NA is running great. Try and get the entire history of work done at a dealer, that should be your guide.. I also own a 07 NA, 75k+ miles on it. Still on the original water pump, (knock on wood), and as long as the modification that GM put out years ago, the rear end should be good to go. Just do your maintenance. I change to fluids every 50K miles. (tranny and rear end), go by the DIC for oil change and filter and change the coolant every 3 years.. Finally check the battery you have, make sure its not the original one if you can. IF it is replace that..

BTW, welcome to forum..
well CarMax gave me a quote for their extended warranty its 800bucks a yr didn't wana get it coz of their crappy reviews with service and issues with warranty. thx for the advice will follow that !

Last edited by ThreeFiddy; 10-21-2015 at 01:50 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
$800 a year? I'd pass on that too. Mine was about $1500 to extend it out to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Deductible is $100. My two repairs would have cost me $2500 so even with the deductibles I'm ahead $800. Mind you I've had my car just over a year.

Now, that said, my water pump "failure" was minor. I detected it at 50k miles and drove another 27K miles on it before I changed it out...even then my motivation was more my turbo build than a faulty pump but at least now I don't have to worry about changing it AFTER the turbo is on the car and the warranty no longer valid.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
$800 a year? I'd pass on that too. Mine was about $1500 to extend it out to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Deductible is $100. My two repairs would have cost me $2500 so even with the deductibles I'm ahead $800. Mind you I've had my car just over a year.

Now, that said, my water pump "failure" was minor. I detected it at 50k miles and drove another 27K miles on it before I changed it out...even then my motivation was more my turbo build than a faulty pump but at least now I don't have to worry about changing it AFTER the turbo is on the car and the warranty no longer valid.
now that you mentioned about water pump failure mind checking mine !lol
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 04:10 AM

Garage
Wow, I don't remember it being 800 a year... What I remember is 1800 for 4, I think. I knew going in I wasn't going to get the warranty, so didn't really pay attention.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
now that you mentioned about water pump failure mind checking mine !lol
Water pump leakage is a pretty easy thing to check. You just look under your water pump for red water. (DexCool is red.)

If you are having to fill your reservoir often or smell a sweet smell while driving (or there is a huge puddle under the engine on the front passenger side, naturally) these are also signs of a possible water pump failure though usually these come later on just before it's going to really go.

However, when you come out on the 7th I can take a quick look at it. Usually pretty easy to tell.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 10-22-2015 at 11:42 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
Wow, I don't remember it being 800 a year... What I remember is 1800 for 4, I think. I knew going in I wasn't going to get the warranty, so didn't really pay attention.
actually not 800 a yr, wrong calcualation it was 100 a month so its 1200 in a yr lol
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Water pump leakage is a pretty easy thing to check. You just look under your water pump for red water. (DexCool is red.)

If you are having to fill your reservoir often or smell a sweet smell while driving (or there is a huge puddle under the engine on the front passenger side, naturally) these are also signs of a possible water pump failure though usually these come later on just before it's going to really go.

However, when you come out on the 7th I can take a quick look at it. Usually pretty easy to tell.
what I did last night I ended up putting a huge paper under the where engine was there were spots this morning and I didn't smelled anything sweet tho there were spots but I think its water . HOPEFULLY

thx robo! ill be on the 7th with booze and chicken!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Were the spots red? If they were, it's not just condensation water.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:14 PM

Garage
Mine will drip water after running for a while in the heat of the South with the A/C running. I was concerned at first, but it appears to be normal operation.

Funny story.... I had a Jeep Cherokee for a long time. Towards the end, I discovered that the drainage for the condensation from the A/C had become clogged. I discovered this when I went around a corner and a GALLON of COLD FREEEEZING WATER was dumped on my feet all at once. That may have been the closest I have ever come to having an accident that I caused.

Last edited by Specter; 10-22-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: story
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Were the spots red? If they were, it's not just condensation water.
thank god there was not! lol

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in