Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Pacific (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   NEW DATE! So Cal Mod Day - LE5 Turbo Build (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f33/new-date-so-cal-mod-day-le5-turbo-build-70497/)

Robotech 10-14-2015 03:39 PM

NEW DATE! So Cal Mod Day - LE5 Turbo Build

97 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: Due to a PCM failure, this build will be postponed. I'm hoping to make it on November 21-22nd. More details in a new post later on.

NEW DATE: November 21-22nd.

Now I'm calling it a mod day but most mod days a bunch of people work on their cars. This mod day is going to be a little different. I will be installing and tuning the LE5 turbo build and probably will not have time to help out with any other mods. Also, the garage I'll be doing it in is my Girlfriend's and we don't have a lot of parking at her place to load up with cars to be worked on. It's a two car garage and really only has room to work on one car.

Now I'm not asking for help. I can do this build solo (really isn't going to be all that hard) but I know there are some people on here who would like to learn more about our cars and since this is an LNF turbo setup going on an LE5, there will be something for both Redline owners and NA owners to learn about. If you want to watch and see how this is done, Cool. If you want to jump in and lend a hand with some of the processes, it would help out. If you don't mind making a couple trips to Autozone (There are ALWAYS things you need at Autozone at a build day) I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Some of the tasks we will be performing for this build:

Coolant change
Oil change
Exhaust manifold removal
2.4 LE5 injector replacement
LE5 fuel system depressurization
LNF exhaust manifold, turbo, and cat installation including water and oil lines
Charge pipe installation
Boost controller installation
LE5 2 bar MAP installation
Oil Catch Can installation
Air intake basic fabrication and installation
Ecotech tuning with HDtuners

I suspect that most of the build part will only take place on Saturday. It really shouldn't take more than a day to put the turbo on. (Intercooler and water pipe/thermostat housing are already done.) Sunday will mostly be tuning and getting her running right. We'll order pizza for lunch and I'll have some cold ones on hand for those that want to show up.

skersfan 10-14-2015 11:57 PM

Some how when I read this, I think of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, a long white fence and perfection painting.:jester:

Robotech 10-15-2015 03:07 PM

97 Attachment(s)
LOL RtE. Great thing is my GF keeps her place spotless all the time anyway. I try to pick up after myself best as I can but I'll be honest, my level of "clean" when it comes to the house is far lower than hers. LOL

ThreeFiddy 10-21-2015 12:03 AM

mind if I tag along just got a 07 sky, im a newbie on stuff like this and would like to learn more ! i will bring some booze if its allowed? any req?

Robotech 10-21-2015 11:54 AM

97 Attachment(s)
Booze isn't just allowed, it is almost a requirement. LOL But no driving if you've been drinking! That's mandatory! (At mod days we don't take your keys, you just come out to find your car on jack stands.) LOL

I would keep the alcohol to beer though. Really the hard stuff tends to get a little out of control and that's not a good combo when wrenching.

Shoot me a PM and I can send you details.

Robotech 10-21-2015 03:22 PM

97 Attachment(s)
Okay, so far I've heard from the following:
  • Going
    Gabes Redline
    Razz
    ThreeFiddy
    Skersfan
    kohhep (maybe)

• Not going
    Jgassor
    knysna99

Specter 10-21-2015 04:27 PM

Well, sad to say, I won't be going. That 4000+ mile round trip is just a bit much you know?

Robotech 10-21-2015 05:12 PM

97 Attachment(s)
LOL...awwww come on down Specter!

skersfan 10-22-2015 01:03 AM

Darned east coast whimps!!!

I will make the 7th. No interest in the tuning stuff, but would not mind helping put the thing together.

Robotech 10-22-2015 11:35 AM

97 Attachment(s)
Actually the tuning is pretty interesting but I get it. Look forward to seeing you on the 7th.

Robotech 10-29-2015 11:55 AM

97 Attachment(s)
Alright folks, if you want to participate in the build I'd suggest getting to the location I sent you folks by about 10 am. I'll be up before that but plan on making an Autozone/Pepboys run early in the morning to collect some last minute supplies/tools. I should be back and ready to wrench by 10 am.

We'll also be making another run to PepBoys later on in the day once I figure out what we'll need to fabricate a cold air intake for this build. Really can't figure that out until the turbo is on the car otherwise I'd already have that setup. Will be going over my inventory this weekend and getting a final supplies list together. (Things like a proper claw wrench for the oil filter cap, oil, filter, coolant, etc.)

Yogi 10-29-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 990401)
Alright folks, if you want to participate in the build I'd suggest getting to the location I sent you folks by about 10 am. I'll be up before that but plan on making an Autozone/Pepboys run early in the morning to collect some last minute supplies/tools. I should be back and ready to wrench by 10 am.

We'll also be making another run to PepBoys later on in the day once I figure out what we'll need to fabricate a cold air intake for this build. Really can't figure that out until the turbo is on the car otherwise I'd already have that setup. Will be going over my inventory this weekend and getting a final supplies list together. (Things like a proper claw wrench for the oil filter cap, oil, filter, coolant, etc.)

"Claw Wrench"? What about a "shorty" 32 mm socket? About $8 at O'Reilly's IIRC.

Yogi

Robotech 10-29-2015 04:21 PM

97 Attachment(s)
I'll have to look for one...the last 32 mm socket I got wouldn't clear the head/block above it when it was on.

Claw wrench (also called a crows foot wrench):
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...CAFE1F89&01NA=

Though I do like the shorty socket idea better. Autozone has them for under $10.

Yogi 10-29-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 990545)
I'll have to look for one...the last 32 mm socket I got wouldn't clear the head/block above it. when it was on.

Claw wrench (also called a crows foot wrench):
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...CAFE1F89&01NA=

OK. Now I see. Thanks for the pick.

The 32mm shorty will work. Look for it in the oil change section. I believe that mine is made by "Lisle".

Found it: Lisle Corporation

Robotech 10-29-2015 04:38 PM

97 Attachment(s)
I want to get a set of those wrenches anyway (they can come in handy) but for this build that shorty socket will be perfect.