F/S Hydro Blue Sky's - Page 7 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn SKY vehicles/parts For Sale/Wanted Place for MEMBERS to post want to buy or vehicles for sale. NO COMMERCIAL POSTING, no PROMOTION OF VEHICLES OR ITEMS YOU DO NOT PERSONALLY OWN.

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I still have mine, now with 6200 miles on her. Mine's a redline manual. I'm not really concerned about the prices. They are what they are. What's intriguing me these days is whether or not anyone will know how to drive a car, let along a manual transmission in another 20 years? I'm comforted by the fact that I know I will. If they let me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	704.0 KB
ID:	103995  
marlboromike, 44thSKY and ddx77 like this.

Jeff Leonard

2009 Hydro Blue Red Line LE, Manual, Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:40 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Garage
I would like to think that most of us bought these cars as KEEPERS. It still gets the oohs and aahs even after 13 yrs. Timeless design but built like $hit.
post #93 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Mine came off the assembly line in May 2009, near the end of the run. As a long-time forum member, I'm aware of the many potential issues with the Kappa's. I think since my car was a late build and its low milage, so far I've escaped most of the issues. I've been thinking about a tune on the car but I've kept it stock so far so I'm not sure if its a good idea.

Jeff Leonard

2009 Hydro Blue Red Line LE, Manual, Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:09 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Since u kept it stock...YOU KNOW it's a good idea. Less is More
Rusty Boltz likes this.
post #95 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Aside from family emergencies....I didn't buy a Sky to sell it later. I love those members who invested thousands of dollars in upgrades and a year later...SELL! SELL! SELL! I cannot see myself selling my car unless some fool offers me a ridiculous amount of money.
I'm one of those who bought one, did some mods, and sold it a year later MM. I had no family emergencies but my plan to keep my Grand Prix as a daily driver didn't pan out and I was required to get something "practical" and leave it stock a my plan B. I sold my Sky and hated every moment of it but I needed a truck so I did what I had to do. It was never part of the plan to get rid of it.

Which is why, 7 years later, I basically bought it's clone and continued to do to it now what I wanted to do to that one then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky4christ View Post
makes me sad that the prices are going so low. but on the flip side maybe I'll be able to buy my son one when he turns 16 (in 13 years lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
$13k for manual base with 70k miles and you think thats low?

I paid $14k for a auto redline with 40k miles
I'm with Davhamm on this one. $13K for a 70k mile base is not low. I paid $11,500 for mine with 44k on it 5 years ago.

From what we've seen, I think prices are starting to stabilize in the $5-$7k area. Only fairly hard driven ones are going for less. (100K miles or more).

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #96 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I know it's not Hydro Blue, but I paid $12k 3 months ago for my 2009 Red Line SE ruby red 5M. It's a one owner in mint condition with 48000 miles, a Florida car that never went out in the rain let alone snow etc. $13k for a 70000 mile base car sounds too much to me too.
marlboromike likes this.

2009 Saturn Sky Red Line SE Ruby Red 5M
Trifecta tune
Windrestrictor
DDM short shifter
DDM brace bundle
Solo Performance Quad Tips
Lil' Chromies
Full LED lights
LED footwell lights
Trunk Gas Strut Mod
Kappa Rack
JPM Leather Console
post #97 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:26 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
$13k for manual base with 70k miles and you think thats low?

I paid $14k for a auto redline with 40k miles
considering I'm the idiot that spend 25K on mine in 2012 with 9K miles on it, both of those prices Specifically for the hydro are low to me

Driving an 08 Saturn Astra
To keep the miles off my garage queen (#58 of 89 Saturn Sky Hydro Blue Redline)
and contemplating Buying an old Opel GT
post #98 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
I would like to think that most of us bought these cars as KEEPERS. It still gets the oohs and aahs even after 13 yrs. Timeless design but built like $hit.
Mine’s a keeper. I like modding it—but I keep all the stock parts.
It I disagree with you MM.
1. The “design” (I think you are referring to the styling alone) is great, but borrows heavily on many classic sports car cues (why not?). It is not the only appealing aspect of the car, though.
I appreciate that it has double wishbones all-around. Few cars I can afford have this. The chassis is stiff—particularly for a roofless car. Amazingly so, IMHO. More hp is always welcome, but the turbo outgunned competitors pretty well. She’s much more than just pretty.
2. Build quality. I believe the kappas are typical of GM’s products—which means they are reasonable for the price point. These cars were a balancing act between performance, appearance, practicality (some), maintainability (etc), and price.
Few roadsters can match it for performance/price. A lot of the problems allotted to build quality (maybe or maybe not the ones you are thinking of) are really the results of design compromise. (E.g., the top is cuddly, but it is substantial and looks good. Or, the hood is thin and shakes, but is is not structural, and is light weight, Or, the manual transmission is not silky smooth, but it is borrowed from a truck and can contend with the torque, and keeps it affordable...)

Curious... why do you think it is built like $hit?
Because I do not.
post #99 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
Quote:
Mine’s a keeper. I like modding it—but I keep all the stock parts.
It I disagree with you MM.
1. The “design” (I think you are referring to the styling alone) is great, but borrows heavily on many classic sports car cues (why not?). It is not the only appealing aspect of the car, though.
I appreciate that it has double wishbones all-around. Few cars I can afford have this. The chassis is stiff—particularly for a roofless car. Amazingly so, IMHO. More hp is always welcome, but the turbo outgunned competitors pretty well. She’s much more than just pretty.
2. Build quality. I believe the kappas are typical of GM’s products—which means they are reasonable for the price point. These cars were a balancing act between performance, appearance, practicality (some), maintainability (etc), and price.
Few roadsters can match it for performance/price. A lot of the problems allotted to build quality (maybe or maybe not the ones you are thinking of) are really the results of design compromise. (E.g., the top is cuddly, but it is substantial and looks good. Or, the hood is thin and shakes, but is is not structural, and is light weight, Or, the manual transmission is not silky smooth, but it is borrowed from a truck and can contend with the torque, and keeps it affordable...)

Because I do not.
Top is “fiddly,” not “cuddly”!
Dang autocorrect!
post #100 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
[QUOTE=Flashy;1292505]
I disagree with you MM.
Because I do not.[/QUOTE

1. The rear seals leaked...recall #1
2. The rear wheels rubbed against the rear wheel liners. recall#2
3. The convertible top...aside from the wrinkles on the buttress, the liner would begin having holes. That is why
there are 2 convertible tops. recall#3
4. Saggy seat cushion. It was not a recall but u could have your cushion seat replaced under the warranty....but
the new cushions did not improve. Still saggy seat.
5. Of course, ignition and PPS recalls...
6. Catalytic converter on first cars (cannot remmember which Vin# it went to)That is why the converter warranty went to 10 yrs. Mine went at 28K miles.
7. The list goes on...this is just part of the build...but love the design.
Forgot to mention the flooding of the the trunk after a rain...water remains a problem if u drive your car in a rain...the list goes on...and on. Water condensation in tail lights.

POINT PROVEN

Flashy..u did not own this car in 2006.

More history...when we bought these cars (2006)....the warranty was 3yrs/36 thousand miles...but it was registered as a 2007. In 2007 GM changed there warranty to 5yrs/50,000. (because of the competition). Anyway, many bought the extended warranty from GM. GM had to refund us a pro=rated check.

Last edited by marlboromike; 01-19-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #101 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky4christ View Post
considering I'm the idiot that spend 25K on mine in 2012 with 9K miles on it, both of those prices Specifically for the hydro are low to me
Well yeah, but I believe you knew then you were over paying. Of course low millage cars are getting harder and harder to find, but assigning value to that low millage is hard.

I just think these cars never had the media attention or fan status to become big collector cars. I think they will always stay lowwer cost older cars. Now if we could get some hit tv show to use one as a main focal point, it might all change.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I sold my Hydro Blue Redline in 2011 just before my son was born. I'm hoping to one day buy it back or at least one just like it.

2009 Hydro Blue Limited Edition Redline
"Kayla"
Vertical doors, HID lights & fog lights, Fender lights and more to come...

2008 Bluestone Redline "Delilah"
R.I.P. (Lemon Law) 7/24/09
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
[quote=marlboromike;1292509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
I disagree with you MM.
Because I do not.[/QUOTE

POINT PROVEN

Flashy..u did not own this car in 2006.

More history...when we bought these cars (2006)....the warranty was 3yrs/36 thousand miles...but it was registered as a 2007. In 2007 GM changed there warranty to 5yrs/50,000. (because of the competition). Anyway, many bought the extended warranty from GM. GM had to refund us a pro=rated check.
Their

Grammar police
marlboromike and 44thSKY like this.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer

Last edited by Rusty Boltz; 01-19-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Agreed, Rusty. There are many that occur out there. A couple of big ones....then vs than (think time when using 'then', and think comparing when using 'than'). Also, when you refer to someone, say to yourself: you are ...... then type 'you're'. Don't say 'your' when you are saying you are. A little hard to describe in writing, but hope you see the point.
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
VIN 1G8MR35B89Y107762, 2009, 2.4, Auto, 131,525 Miles, $5900 (Conroe, TX)
https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/d...806878059.html

This 2009 Saturn Sky convertible is in spectacular condition. It has XM satellite radio, power driver's seat, cruise control, power mirrors, power windows, air conditioning, AM-FM-CD player, steering wheel audio controls, tachometer, leather bucket seats, center console and rear window defogger. The engine is a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder with an automatic transmission that runs super. There is a matched set of good Pirelli tires mounted on stylish chrome wheels. The interior and convertible top are in pristine condition. The paint and body are excellent. We provide a free Auto Check vehicle history report for this Saturn Sky. We welcome trade-ins and accept all credit cards. For more information please call Bob at 936-788-2773.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Saturn SKY vehicles/parts For Sale/Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in