Best Technique For Launching Off Of Two Step - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Best Technique For Launching Off Of Two Step

Hey guys.

I don't know if any of the other guys that had the N2MB02 WOT Box are still here, but I thought I would try to ask to see if I could get lucky.

I'm basically asking those that have one on a manual sky redline what their techniques are for launching at the track.

The first time I went with the WOT Box last year I tried first launching at 3k rpms and dropping it, but I bogged pretty bad. I then upped it to 4k rpms and got a tad bit of spin that I wanted which netted me a 2.1 60'. I did that last year on stock Eagle f1s that had like 60k miles on them. This year I had Hancook low profile tires and I tried to leave at 4K and blew diff up.

I'm wondering if anyone with a 2 step (WOT Box) was leaving from the set RPM and kind of slipping the clutch some? My clutch is a spec stage 3 6 puck with a Spec aluminum flywheel. I'm thinking I could slip it some (not much), but wanted to know what anyone else's technique was like.

Again, this is just for the 2 step. I don't need to know how people with autos launch or how people launch with a manual without a 2 step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
I doubt many here...if anyone...have experience with a 2 step on a Kappa...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Fastest launch I know with stock equipment is using the hand brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Man...ouch. I do love the thrust you get from a high-RPM launch in general, but I think in the entire time I've owned my car I've maybe tried it once. Usually if I want to get going quickly from a complete stop I'll rev it to about 2K and then quickly release the clutch without dumping it. I don't think that baby little differential with the aluminum casing was made for 4K clutch drops!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Fastest launch I know with stock equipment is using the hand brake.
Can you explain that?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Comparable to an uphill-drive-away

There is torque at the wheels before the car is moving.

The clutch is partially released and the torque at the wheels is stopped by the hand brake, so the wheels are not moving. When the hand brake is released there is instant torque available at the wheels.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Comparable to an uphill-drive-away

There is torque at the wheels before the car is moving.

The clutch is partially released and the torque at the wheels is stopped by the hand brake, so the wheels are not moving. When the hand brake is released there is instant torque available at the wheels.
Sounds expensive.....
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Stickshift uphill-drive-away technique is driving basics over here. Without being able to do that you can not even get your license.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
My Dad made me master that technique before allowing me to drive alone on public roads.
It was the original anti-roll back technology.
LOL

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Stickshift uphill-drive-away technique is driving basics over here. Without being able to do that you can not even get your license.
I never understood the point of this technique. Why not just learn to release the clutch quickly enough that the car won't roll backwards? It seems trivially easy.
Draike13 likes this.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
This is what I do. Simply let out slightly on the clutch, just enough to get torque to the wheels, heel-toe a little throttle then let off brake and clutch together and good to go. 0 roll back, and smooth take off.
And this is in Missouri. Its uphill all directions at all times. lol

I understand the handbrake trick, but just haven't ever seen the point in normal driving.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
I never understood the point of this technique. Why not just learn to release the clutch quickly enough that the car won't roll backwards? It seems trivially easy.
I always thought that above is for older people and not petrol heads :-)

I assume most people that can drive stick can do what you described. But it might not be wise in many situations. For instance when one wants to have good control because the car should only move a few feet (like parallel parking on a slope, either forward of reverse, or both several times)

Also when sitting on a slope one has the hand brake engaged anyway, so releasing the hand brake first and then the clutch quickly (to prevent rolling) seems kind of strange.

Last edited by RedOne07; 10-06-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I always thought that above is for older people and not petrol heads :-)

I assume most people that can drive stick can do what you described. But it might not be wise in many situations. For instance when one wants to have good control because the car should only move a few feet (like parallel parking on a slope, either forward of reverse, or both several times)

Also when sitting on a slope one has the hand brake engaged anyway, so releasing the hand brake first and then the clutch quickly (to prevent rolling) seems kind of strange.
I still don't get it, it just seems like another thing to have to coordinate and think of. Not to mention that if you buy a recent car many of them now have electronic handbrakes, so this goes out the window. [On the other hand, I suppose they also have that anti-roll-back gadgetry, so...]

The only time I can remember ever having a problem on a slope was in a parking garage in Italy, where you needed to pull up to a machine that was situated on, what seemed like, a 30 slope to put in your ticket. And it wasn't just a slope on pavement, it was on smooth, polished concrete, presumably polished by the spinning tires of everyone trying to get out of there. I put the ticket in, tried to set off, and with a light throttle the wheels just spun and the car slid backwards. Who designed this garage anyway?! Oh right, nobody, we're in southern Italy. Try again: Let's get out of here the Italian way, give it a good dose of throttle and let off the clutch more abruptly and with some noise and smoke were are out of here!

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage
The old British cars had fly off handbrakes - unless you pushed a button to engage the pawl at the top of the travel, all you had to do was release it smoothly as your clutch bit for a smooth take off even on a fairly steep hill.

Having a handbrake that locks in place the second you hit maximum travel defeats that sort of easy use and you have to have your finger pushing the release button to accomplish a smooth release. Not that big a deal, but I've never quite understood why they wouldn't use the fly off scheme - owners too stupid to engage the handbrake when setting it, perhaps? (I went to test drive a new Fiero but the GM salesman was unable to find, much less release the hand brake....)

BMW uses a residual pressure release in the brake line - when you have been sitting at an uphill light and release your brakes, it holds the rear brakes on for a fraction of a second which is all you need to pull away smoothly. Simple, elegant solution which probably costs a few bucks, which may be the reason that more manufacturers don't use it.

To address the original question, using clutch slip to smooth high rpm take offs is a rather expensive method. That's why some of the car magazines no longer take times from a stop, but use 5 mph as the point where they floor it. If you just have to be a drag racer type (even though mot sports cars are ill suited to that - straight line acceleration isn't their forte), be prepared to pay the overhaul price of a new clutch, possibly with some frequency.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
You no longer have to do any of this with a stick. It's called "hill start assist" and almost all vehicles now have this. It holds the rear brakes on your car and when you start to hit the gas pedal, releases them... just wait till you see what's coming for brakes.....

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

Last edited by The_Ghost; 10-06-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Dam Miatas | - »