Drag racing today - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bridgestone Potenza. They have a tread ware rating of 140, I thought they would be a lot more stickier. Next time I'm going start a thread and do a lot more research.

Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catlles ext. Dejon Ic and Piping, AME w-m, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 5th injector E42, CCW Werks rims 285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RedSkyWV
295 Potenzas should have as much grip as 245 ET Streets IMO. What's your best 60'?
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:08 PM

I found my old slips, unfortunately I didn't mark them. The only one sure of had a 60 of 2.023, and 12.62 @ 111.34.

Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catlles ext. Dejon Ic and Piping, AME w-m, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 5th injector E42, CCW Werks rims 285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

If you can do a 12.62 with a 2.0, you would run a 12 flat with a 1.70 probably. You're making a lot more horsepower than I am, you're just not launching very well it seems. I am a little surprised at your 111mph, with 400HP I'd expect you to be hitting 118-120.

I could probably cut a 1.65 with a perfect launch, and that's on skinnier tires and a lot less HP.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
DAMNIT I was there!!! lol I actually had one of my buddies razz me because your car was flying lol

Nice work. Next time I stop out ill be sure to come introduce myself
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 PM

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 AM

What mod of tracktion control do you run? Off or Comp.Mod.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkyWV View Post
If you can do a 12.62 with a 2.0, you would run a 12 flat with a 1.70 probably. You're making a lot more horsepower than I am, you're just not launching very well it seems. I am a little surprised at your 111mph, with 400HP I'd expect you to be hitting 118-120.

I could probably cut a 1.65 with a perfect launch, and that's on skinnier tires and a lot less HP.
Don't give so much weight to your 60 foot times bringing you down that much. It will help but its not going to pick you up a half a second or in this case 60 100ths.
In Richmond they prep the track fantastic. I stay in the 1.06 60" times with the dragster and I run 7 100s faster at that track than I do at my local track but its the prep work that makes the difference and its all the way down the track. If I get out the grove one little bit on my 1/8th mile local track I can spin the tires is a hurry so my et is bases on the complete run in Richmond ver North East Dragway my local track. Feels funky when your rear starts spinning over 100 mph.

At North East yesterday we had test and tune and spent the afternoon playing with the new computer on the car. High tech red neck here. LOL
My 60 foot at my local track where the prep is not so good is 1.09 but my top end and ET are only 7 100's apart. Funny but the speed is almost the same.
Everyone likes to think a little 60 foot would mean a lot of ET but in street cars if you pick up a quarter of a second your really on the money and lucky.
Something to is warming up of the car.
Very bad misconception that a car needs to be warm to make the most power and best run. Its actually the other way around.
You want the car about 100 degrees at the line. What happens when temps drop outside in the 50s and 60s ver 100's in summer . Your car runs faster.
Same with warming up the motor.
I run a duel fan Afco racing radiator where I can cool quick.
Heres you a little reading from the pros.

Tech Talk #55 – Keeping Cool | Reher Morrison Racing Engines

Little River Motor-Sports

Last edited by liveaboard74; 11-11-2013 at 07:07 AM.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
DAMNIT I was there!!! lol I actually had one of my buddies razz me because your car was flying lol

Nice work. Next time I stop out ill be sure to come introduce myself
Definitely stop by. That red Supra was flying. The white one that blew up might have been faster though. I'll PM you next time I go up. I'll probably run the Evo in the spring though, it has some low 12s in it I'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhotrod1 View Post
What mod of tracktion control do you run? Off or Comp.Mod.
Off-Off, hold it till the ESC off message happens.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post
Don't give so much weight to your 60 foot times bringing you down that much.
A good rule of thumb is one unit in your 60' time is two units in your overall.

If he shaves 30-35 hundredths in the 60', he should shave 60 hundredths in the quarter.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
A good rule of thumb is one unit in your 60' time is two units in your overall.

If he shaves 30-35 hundredths in the 60', he should shave 60 hundredths in the quarter.
Well aware of the street lingo. Don't always count on that one finger when there 4 more other fingers in the equation ..
Remember , once you change tires to DRs or slicks its not a street car any more. Turning best time on a track don't mean anything on the street if you have to chance to DR or slicks at a track to get it.
Twin turbo viper at local track, changes tires and runs 6.40s. He's having a fit for me to throw some slicks on and run him. I eat him up with the vette on street tires cause I can drive it. He don't know anything but nail it and hold on and Im 6 speed.
Take the time to learn how to launch. You will be amazed at what a car can do when you learn to drive it.
8.20s with the sky and I only have 261 whp. Figure that one out!!!!!!

You guys need to all get together at the track. Talk to your local track about car shows while having a race.
They started that twice a year at our local track and last time was 5 weeks ago there were over 100 cars that showed up and the track is loving it. Almost filled the parking lot. What better place to have a car show than somewhere you can show and go with the car. It catching on in the south.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 11-11-2013 at 08:25 AM.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I don't street race but I understand what you're saying entirely. Regardless, there's a lot of time to be had when he's only make 2.0 60' times.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I don't street race but I understand what you're saying entirely. Regardless, there's a lot of time to be had when he's only make 2.0 60' times.
O ya,, Seat time will fix that!!.
Man you guys get together at the track and post some photos. Now that you know you guys are there together you all can have a blast!!!

post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

L-N-F isn't close to me, Miller is. And silly Miller sold his Sky.

Serious question though, anyone in the Morgantown WV area want to drive my Evo up with me when I take the Sky sometime? You pay your own gas and admission and I'll be happy to let you drive it. NO ONE drives the Sky though
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Definitely stop by. That red Supra was flying. The white one that blew up might have been faster though.
Joel's car is faster, but he tore the rear end ring gear out of his car. I am still kind of surprise it held up as long as it did with 1300whp launches all season.

That was Chad (local to you guys out there.) That whole group is a lot of fun. All auto cars and all very fast. Most when they are 100% are running single digit passes. Jenna is currently the fastest in the pearl white supra. She ran 8.76 on Saturday first pass off the trailer.. unfortunately she broke the rear diff in her car.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in