Drag racing today - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RedSkyWV
Here's a shaky video of my 12.40 run. Running with an IS-F, but I left really late

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkyWV View Post
Here's a shaky video of my 12.40 run. Running with an IS-F, but I left really late

Saturn Sky Redline 12.40 @111.77 - YouTube
Cool video. Ya you slept but you did run him down.

Little River Motor-Sports
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RedSkyWV
I actually brake boosted too hard and got the rears spinning, let off and spooled up again before I left. I have about 25 passes at the real strip and over 300 passes at the 1/8 mile "flashlight drags" on a runway, but it's totally different there -- no grip. I still am learning. Another 500 passes and I'll be good
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm used to driving a Camaro SS with plenty of displacement and torque. It's pretty much stock and I ran 13.3 @ 106. Yes that was shifting the M6 transmission too.

The Sky is definitely faster. But the lag is killing me after the shifts.
So what tips can you give me for maintaining boost in my RL with a 5 speed? ... besides shift faster... lol
Shift a bit sooner and don't let off the gas entirely?

Finally - 07 Sky RL (Pinky) - All the Hahn Turbo Stuff
88 Fiero GT - 3800 Series 2 Supercharged
(Project) 88 Fiero Formula S3 3800 72mm Magnum BB Turbo
02 Camaro SS Vert
08 Sierra 2500 Duramax
67 Le Mans
77 Corvette
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
2002Z28, there is a parameter in your ECM called no lift shift that, stock, is disabled (I believe). In almost every single after market tune, they turn that on allowing you to keep your foot planted to the floor when you shift and it will keep the turbo spooled. If you have a tune on your car, it should have it.

BTW, love the 3800 sc Fiero in your signature. I had a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with this little gem in it.

Best time was a 12.070 at Pinks All Out Las Vegas Sept. of 2007. That was with a massive leak in the IC core dumping 20 oz of water into the manifold and major belt slippage from a slight oil leak from the drain plug on the Whipple's snout. IIRC there were a couple Fieros running around with this same setup in it. Can't remember the guys name who made the kit to mount this to the L67 but I remember him being a bit shady in the end.

WAIT...I just re-read your sig. You bought Pinky from Bill Hahn? Yea, you have the No Lift Shift enabled. No doubt. LOL Go out, go WOT, and while it may be against every muscle in your body to do so, keep that gas pedal floored at the shift and you'll see how much of a difference it makes.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 07-14-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:27 PM

Cool. I'll give it a try the next time the wife lets me drive it... Shhhhh don't tell her.

And yes, what a special car Pinky is. I can't wait to get their new Precision Turbo in it in the next couple months.
I already crushed the ego of a guy who owns a Shelby GT500 KR. Whoops. Bwahaha!

As we whispered past him with his supercharger howling and his exhaust roaring... I said , "Ha! And it's pink too, Betch! lol"

In his defense, it WAS neck and neck until he missed 3rd. Hey that's not my fault. A smack down is a smack down.

Finally - 07 Sky RL (Pinky) - All the Hahn Turbo Stuff
88 Fiero GT - 3800 Series 2 Supercharged
(Project) 88 Fiero Formula S3 3800 72mm Magnum BB Turbo
02 Camaro SS Vert
08 Sierra 2500 Duramax
67 Le Mans
77 Corvette

Last edited by 2002z28ssconv; 06-28-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot important part of the story
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, Aubrey (Bill's wife) is a long time member here and I'm glad that car of hers went to someone who appreciates it. It is a hell of a car.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 PM

Ummm yeah ... no lift shift ... I sees what you means. After doing it going into second I'm afraid to try it going into third. Talk about wagging the tail. If it lights up the tires like it did going into second, it might not be so good when I'm already doing 50.

I think I need new tires now.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Garage
So you have something that shuts the computer down, so it does not throw the rev limiter. What a bunch of crap that is. We used to have something similar in the 60-70's, it was sticking a rod through the block wall. I never recall not power shifting when drag racing, things have changed while I got old for sure!!!!

I did it on the Mallett the second time I drove it. Curtis looked at me like I was crazy.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Here is an eighth mile run I did at North Star Dragway a year ago.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002z28ssconv View Post
Ummm yeah ... no lift shift ... I sees what you means. After doing it going into second I'm afraid to try it going into third. Talk about wagging the tail. If it lights up the tires like it did going into second, it might not be so good when I'm already doing 50.

I think I need new tires now.
LOL...told you that you had it. I don't know what tires they had on Pinky when they sold it but they should be some good tires. With crap tires I was able to wag the tail in my 2.4...BEFORE the turbo. So I can only imagine what Pinky does when you make that shift.

Keep in mind though that the 2-3 shift is going to be a bit calmer than 1-2. That taller ratio and the momentum of the car makes it a bit tamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
So you have something that shuts the computer down, so it does not throw the rev limiter. What a bunch of crap that is. We used to have something similar in the 60-70's, it was sticking a rod through the block wall. I never recall not power shifting when drag racing, things have changed while I got old for sure!!!!

I did it on the Mallett the second time I drove it. Curtis looked at me like I was crazy.
Well...you ARE crazy but I'd love to experience that moment in the Mallett with that ridiculous power plant it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
Here is an eighth mile run I did at North Star Dragway a year ago.
Nice passes but I kept screaming at the guy in the red shirt to SIT DOWN! LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations on the car. I have heard Robo talk about it many times. Hope you enjoy it as much as they did.

I guess that is when I developed the love for the auto, my Z28 LT1 had a turbo hydro 400 behind it. Went from a stroked 427 and four speed. No way I could compete with the Z, other than at the strip. Street racing back then, was a big deal. Making a thousand bucks a nite against 200 a month from the Marine Corps was a lot of fun. We traveled from Memphis, where I was stationed to Kansas City, Des Moines, St Louis, Little Rock, Omaha and Lawrence, Kansas. You did not want to take things that broke or did not work. The Z28 LT1 was the fastest car I ever had on the street. The great part, no blown engines, no blown clutches, and seldom lost. Did race a guy from Starkville, Mississippi, in a Nova 350 SS, basically the same car as I had only lighter. He beat me three straight times. We added line lock the following week and went back and got most of my money back. Those were very fun days.

Street racing then was out in the country, away from traffic. Blocked off quarter mile, sometimes the local police were there. You just brought what you had and did the deal. Was a lot of fun, as most could afford the best cars around. Today those cars are 75K or more, my LT1 was less than 4k.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's kind of like that Street Outlaws show. Guess we never really experienced much out here in the 80s when I was growing up and getting into cars. Of course, where I grew up there is not "country"...it was city as far as you could drive just about.

Of course, today is different and racing needs to stay on the track. But ahhhh...the good ol' days. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post

Attaboy, Skersfan! Tell 'em how we did it in the "Good Ol' Days!" (Although I always had trouble doing it on a Muncie. Never missed on my Borg-Warner T-10).

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Feeling a bit wimpy in my old age, but wanting to take my new to me 2008 Sky Redline manual to the drag strip. At what RPM are you guys launching, I am nervous about dumping the clutch. How much hard driving will these things take. The last time I did this it was on Pontiac's dime. Myself and 2 Pontiac engineers were at Atlanta Dragway with 8 Firebirds and had to sort out the fastest manual and automatic for magazine writers to evaluate the next day so I wasn't too worried about breaking them. 22 years ago.

Make it a good day.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in