Finally going to Autocross - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Finally going to Autocross

It's been a long time coming but I'm finally going to try my hand at an Autocross event.

HOTCHKIS SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEMS, PARTS, AND COMPLETE BOLT-IN PACKAGES HOTCHKIS SPORT SUSPENSION Autocross at the NMCA West: Presented by Nitto Tire - HOTCHKIS SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEMS, PARTS, AND COMPLETE BOLT-IN PACKAGES

Looks like a neat event and I will be running both days. Only 75 cars total allowed on each day so it will be an interesting time I'm sure. A bit nervous but I'm sure that will all go away after I get a lap or two in. Will be interesting to see how my little NA Kappa does against these guys. I'm assuming I'll be in the Compact Car class. Can't see me being Modern Muscle, Classic Muscle or Exhibition.

Don't know if anyone is interested in coming out and joining me ($70 for 1 day or $100 for both) or watching ($25 one day, $35 two day...really!?) but looks to be an full weekend of autocross and drag racing with some interesting iron.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
That's quite a bargain! You should have a great time. I signed up for my third event about two months ago and it's still 4 weeks away.

I'd imagine you checked into the roof/rollbar issue, but if you didn't I looked at the website and it isn't addressed at all in the rules. The only convertible I noticed in the video was a Miata with a hardtop. You might want to send the organizers an email before you part with non-refundable cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:50 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Found some pics from last year. Looks like you should be fine!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hotchk...7645339234511/

In other news, I ****ING LOVE this Vette!

Endstate likes this.

Quote:
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?

Last edited by reedred; 05-22-2015 at 09:06 PM.
post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Garage
So sad someone destroyed a 67 Vette. 66, 65 64, could not care less what you do to them, but 63's and 67's are special.

Looks weird to me Reed. Hate the add on rear. My 67 427/435 HP was my favorite car of all time. But this little yellow thing is really growing on me fast.

So your racing and not showing this weekend Robo? I need to read the advertisement, might drive out to watch. Check the place for curbs for you. lol

I see it is the first weekend of June, not this weekend.

Last edited by skersfan; 05-22-2015 at 09:43 PM.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

The event is actually 2 weeks away, 6/6-7. I also thought he was going tomorrow until I checked out the site.

As for the Vette, maybe it was already in some unfortunate state. Anyway, opinions are like *******s- I frequently enjoy other people's more than mine.

Quote:
Are you an organ donor?
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
They charge admission to the event Bob but you also get drag racing events so there is a lot going on.

Out here Autocross doesn't require you to have a roll bar in a convertible and is the only racing I can do out here without one. Checked into this before hand.

And yea Bob, this is in two weeks. June 6-7. Got a helmet and looking at the last event, I'll probably be in a class with 10 or fewer cars. This time out Im' just going to learn how it all works. How I perform will be less important overall. They have two more events this year, one in September, one in October. May do those too.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 05-23-2015 at 02:24 PM.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Got a helmet and looking at the last event, I'll probably be in a class with 10 or fewer cars
Do you know if your helmet is not too old, and does it meet the "Snell" specs?

There is a tag inside all helmets under the padding with info on when the helmet was made, and Snell Certification. If they know what they are doing, they should check these specs during pre-race Tech Inspection.

It sure would be a bummer to find out at the last moment that you cannot race because of an out of date or out of spec helmet!

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Garage
So for me, the idea would be to kill as many cones as possible?

I have been threatening to order the ZOK sway bars, but I think I read that you needed two different bars for autocross?

ZOK in rear, stock Redline in front? Or do I have it backwards? Or all wrong?

They give you some instructions on it I have heard. Might be fun. I could only go Sunday, graduation party on Saturday I have been told.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Do you know if your helmet is not too old, and does it meet the "Snell" specs?

There is a tag inside all helmets under the padding with info on when the helmet was made, and Snell Certification. If they know what they are doing, they should check these specs during pre-race Tech Inspection.

It sure would be a bummer to find out at the last moment that you cannot race because of an out of date or out of spec helmet!

Yogi
It's a September 2011 helmet and meets DOT FMSS 218 standards. The rules for this event specify "helmet" and do not list a specific standard. They do, however, have loner helmets if this one does not meet their criteria.

I am pretty up on my safety requirements. When I use to drag race my Grand Prix I had a Snell helmet and a fire jacket since I had upgraded my power adder and a fire jacket was required when you had done that. I don't think a single track asked me about it...BUT I had it so if they did I wouldn't get turned away for not having it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Helmets are Required for all drivers and any passengers during the Autocross event. Helmets must have a SNELL rating SN2005, M2005, or newer.
http://www.nmcawest.com/cat/autocros...tana-autox.pdf

Quote:
Are you an organ donor?
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
It's a September 2011 helmet and meets DOT FMSS 218 standards. The rules for this event specify "helmet" and do not list a specific standard. They do, however, have loner helmets if this one does not meet their criteria.

I am pretty up on my safety requirements. When I use to drag race my Grand Prix I had a Snell helmet and a fire jacket since I had upgraded my power adder and a fire jacket was required when you had done that. I don't think a single track asked me about it...BUT I had it so if they did I wouldn't get turned away for not having it.
Sounds good, Robo. Looks like you're all set.

Have fun, and please post back with how it goes for you!

Yogi

"Black Bart"
5 Speed Stick
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
So for me, the idea would be to kill as many cones as possible?

I have been threatening to order the ZOK sway bars, but I think I read that you needed two different bars for autocross?

ZOK in rear, stock Redline in front? Or do I have it backwards? Or all wrong?

They give you some instructions on it I have heard. Might be fun. I could only go Sunday, graduation party on Saturday I have been told.
IIRC, Stock Redline in front and Z0K in rear. The stock Redline front and rear understeers a bunch! (personal experience SCCA Solo) The stiffer Z0K in the rear helps reduce the understeer, IF I'm remembering it correctly.

You may want to scan through this sub-forum and see if you can confirm this, or also check the Sol forum. There were a couple of "regulars" on one of these forums about 4 years ago that posted a lot of info on setting up for SCCA Solo (Autocross).

Yogi

"Black Bart"
5 Speed Stick
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Garage
Thanks Yogi, I know I had read about it on one of the two forums. I will see what I can find.
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Thanks Yogi, I know I had read about it on one of the two forums. I will see what I can find.
You're welcome.

I just went browsing through the AutoX sections of both forums and found the most info on the Sol Forum.

Some of the racing experts are:
rlhammon
Krazed Kanary
snaponbob
and DrJones

HERE is a thread discussing sway bars. I didn't read the whole thread but you may find some interesting info there.

Yogi

"Black Bart"
5 Speed Stick
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I may need to get a new helmet. They say they have some loaners so I may be okay or may be okay with the helmet I bring, we'll see.

As for swaybars, I know with my setup the Z0K front and rear feel very good but I do have to run the rear shocks about 4 clicks from firm on the rear and the fronts 8 from firm to get a nice neutral balance. Also, the SCCA Autocross rules only allow for you to change ONE swaybar. From that swaybar thread it looks like the Z0K bars are more balanced than the stock Redline bars which are setup for more understeer. That would explain why many Redline autocross folks swap out just the rear bar to the Z0K option.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in